32Gb of RAM on a new iMAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ascension, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Ascension macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I have just bought I new iMac and I have been told that it is possible to actually run as much as 32gb (4x8Gb) of RAM on it.

has anybody actually done this or is it just a rumour?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They don't, at least for consumers. Anyway, seeing that 4GB modules are pretty expensive, I can just wonder what 8GB would cost :p For that money you could get a Mac Pro

In addition, iMacs mem controller doesn't support 8GB modules nor +16GB

4. gatortpk macrumors 6502

4GB aren't so expensive anymore

I would like to know where I can find information that says that the iMac memory controller doesn't support 8GB SODIMMs when they become available. I have 4x4GB in my iMac now. When the price of 8GB DDR3 SODIMMs comes down, I'd like to put 24GB, then 32GB in my iMac. (Eventually with 4 x 8GB SODIMMs)

Let's not mention how I can't use 32GB of RAM. I've already had those annoying pageouts with 16GB of RAM.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Well all the support information on Apple.com states the limit is 16GB. Surely there's no reason to think an existing memory controller would be be compatible with SODIMMs with a higher memory density than is currently available?

6. gatortpk, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

gatortpk macrumors 6502

Apple official max is always what's currently available upon release

It seems that virtually all Macs have had higher than the "Official Maximum" RAM. (i.e. 12" 867MHz PowerBook G4 was 640MB; 128MB soldiered on and 512MB PC-2100 DDR SODIMM, but now 1152MB is the Max I've used with a 1GB SODIMM, also i.e. Apple's first and only aluminum Unibody MacBook has a "Official Max" of 4GB (2x2GB), but 6GB will work (2GB + 4GB)).

So, the only possibility is that the 4Gbit (?) density isn't compatible with the current iMac memory controller. Even though DDR3 specs allow 8GB and 16GB DIMMs, and presumably 8GB and 16GB SODIMMs also.

I just got another 2x4GB DDR3 1066 SODIMMs by mistake today (now I have 8x4GB DDR3 1066, two more than I can use in my 2010 MBP and late 2009 iMac!), too bad the Core i7 860 does Duo-Channel instead of Triple-Channel (like the Core i7 9xx). I wish the iMacs had 6 slots, there certainly is enough space right there in the opening under the screen! I'd be happy to see an all green pie with a sliver of red, yellow and blue in the Activity Monitor upon startup.