32gb or 64gb iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kowaku, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Kowaku macrumors newbie

I badly need an iPod as my old 30gb Video is half broken. I'm stumped here though, I can't decide which one to get. My old 30gb video only has 300mb left, but that's because i have nearly every south park episode on there. I have about 10gb of music outside of that, so 17gb of video. However I don't 'need' all those episodes there so I can probably cut my video to 8GB or less. (A few movies, random videos, and some TV show episodes) I guess the apps will take up 1GB max, right?

Only thing I'm worried about now is the HD video recording/photos.

What size are you guys getting?

2. tuna macrumors 6502

32GB is still way more video than you're likely to ever need to have in one outing. On the other hand, 64GB will let you carry around twice as much stuff for your convenience. Marginal costs versus marginal benefits. What would you otherwise do with that $100, and how much of a burden would it be to you to have to switch up the media on your Touch every once in a while?

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I currently have a 32GB with less than a gig free, most of it is music (23GB), 3 folders of games (6GB) and no videos so I went for the 64GB that way I can add another 20GB or so of my music and still have room to record a few HD videos etc.

4. joe1946 macrumors regular

I ordered the 64GB version since I plan on taking alot of HD videos.

5. PeachieSky macrumors newbie

I ordered the 64 gig as well.

I'm a music junkie and with ppl constantly uploading music in 320kbps, I mostly have songs w/ over 7 mb and with whole albums being in the 100mbs mark. I have 1 gig of videos. On my ipod 30 gb classic I think I have like 5 gigs left which I know won't be enough for all the stuff that I plan to use on my ipod touch. I don't plan on upgrading to the new ipod touches for the next two or maybe three years, depending on the state of my ipod.

I say get the 64 gig if its within your spending range. You just seem like the type that hates substituting songs for other songs. I personally find it bothersome and totally kills the reason to have an ipod lead alone an ipod touch. Plus with all that gig of music, you'll be out soon and won't be able to use the ipod touch's new functions that much w/o taking out your music/videos.

6. Kowaku thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm leaning towards 64gb. I don't have a ******** of music (about 2100 or so songs) but I don't want to have to keep deleting music to make room.

Plus there is a lot of music I haven't put on my ipod since I've been using my phone for music at the time being. Plus I will be taking a lot of HD video, I want to make some parkour videos so I don't want to run out of room while I'm out.

Well at least I have a $225 gift card for Best Buy, so even a 64GB will only cost me $175 :)

7. PeachieSky macrumors newbie

^ Luck you! I'm spending $383 for mine. T~T But yea, you should definitely buy the 64 gig.

8. gta50419 macrumors 6502

if you have only 300mb left you should get 64GB... because with touch ipods 32 gb is not really 32 gb it's really less..i remember buying my 8gb touch and having it only having a 6.8gb capability with nothing on it..so the 32gb ipod touch probably going to be around a 27 or 26 gb's since the software/ all the features takes up space on the ipod....that'll be less than your 30

64gb will probably have a 58 or 57 gb capability...you need that

anyway ill be getting a 32gb

9. Kowaku thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think I will be going for 64gb, then I won't have to worry at all about room. :)

10. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

For a given HD video that the ipod will record, let's say 5 minutes, how much space will that take up? Approximately 1GB (I have no idea)? I've decided that the 32GB model will be enough as I won't be recording videos often.

11. Cuz03 macrumors member

I'll be going with a 32gb because i don't care about tv shows and movies as much as most people getting the 64gb.

And from what i heard i thought that software was going to be about 1.5gb. But doesn't matter in the OPs case. Go with the 64gb because you don't sound like you could handle the software space and still have enough room for your stuff. Cuz add in the videos/pics you'll take and apps and that'll go over the limit of space you have.

12. Kowaku thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh, yeah. I just did a recount of my songs since I have a bunch I hadn't put in my ipod yet. My iPod atm is just under 9gb worth of music, but the stuff I have yet to put on it will push it to 13gb.

I am def getting the 64gb version.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

64GB, you will not be sorry. I love having favored movies on mine that I don't have to remove to make room for some video podcast or TV program I would like to add on.

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I was thinking about going with a 32GB. Right now I have a 16GB with 5GB of Apps and less than 300MB of space left.

The way I figured it..

2GB for IOS4
    2GB for Video/Photos since this is 720p
    6GB for APPS
    so that about 10GB which is close to what I'm using now.

So that leaves me with 22GB. Movies I will watch then delete. Music I will rotate just like I do with my other iPods. Video I don't see doing much because I rarely shoot vids on my DSLR.

$100 that I'm saving by going with the 32GB will go towards a nice set of headphones since the iTouch comes with the infamous blah white headset. :eek: If I decide to sell my 1st Gen iTouch then I will go with the 64GB.

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Go for the 64gb if money isn't tight. it's nice never having to worry about your storage space. I really wish they made the iPhones 64GB this year since I had to clear out some videos for a few apps

16. Kowaku thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah money isn't a huge issue, I can afford 4 64GB ipod touches right now. Plus the giftcard I have helps.

With my 13GB of music, and movies/videos I want on there + HD video recording I will be getting around to 30gb. Plus then you have to include the many many apps i will be getting, and my ever expanding music library.

edit: ugh, just realized here in Canada the 64gb touch is 429.99... Jesus, our dollar is basically par, it should be 399...

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

yea definitely go for the 64GB then, you won't regret it. It'll retain it's resale value you really won't have a real loss compared to buying the 32gb.

Also, for all of you guys saying iOS is going to be 1.5-2GBs, where are you getting that idea from? On my iPhone it's definitely no more than 1gb. I'm pretty sure the iPods also don't need as much space for the OS as the phones.

18. PeachieSky macrumors newbie

Well with my ipod 30gb classic, I only had like 27 gigs left when I first received mine.

19. qwerty808 macrumors member

golden rule... if you have to think about it, get the larger option. 64GB for me.

20. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

If you can afford it, I would recommend 64GB. Bigger is better.:)

21. ipodtechie macrumors newbie

Go for 64GB

I think if money is not a big issue than go for ipod touch 64GB much better decision. You can than get plenty of space to save.

22. Panther71 macrumors regular

I was originally planning on purchasing the 32gb model. With about 21gb of music, I figured the 32gb model would be big enough. Then I got to thinking that for only $100 more I could double the storage and have a lot of room to grow, especially since I don't anticipate upgrading for quite a while. My advice is to purchase the biggest storage you can afford.

23. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

64GB offers .16GB/$, 32GB model offers .08GB/$, and 8GB offers .03GB/$. Technically the biggest ipod gives the most for your money. However, I don't have the desire to have a 64GB ipod. I only have 1.5GB of music. Does anyone know how much space a five minute HD video would take up? I'm not sure at all.

24. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I am facing the same dilema but I really wish there is a way to check how much all your checked items in iTunes adds up to. I have around 35GB of music videos and music alone in itunes not including apps, but chances are I won't want to put all of it on my iPod and definitely not all those music videos. But $400 is a lot to spend on a device...

25. Kowaku thread starter macrumors newbie

Tell me about it. I just got back from pre-ordering it and with tax it's going to cost $484 (Canada, higher price + more tax).

Good thing I have a $215 gift card.