32GB RAM for new MacPro avail = $3050

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by firstyearprof, Jan 9, 2008.

1. firstyearprof macrumors member

Hi all:

"MacPro Certified" RAM available from macsales.com (anyone heard of them and know their reputation?). You can get 16GB RAM (800MHz ECC) for $1550 and 32GB RAM for $3050 for the new mac pro. Thoughts?

LINK: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

2. timestamp macrumors 6502

Go with the qualified. Same heatsink as the ones that come in the Mac Pro and its only $2749.

Also, OWC is a great company. I would highly recommend them.

3. HDproducer macrumors member

I agree

4. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

are the "certified" modules any better except for the heatsink? is the heat dissipation any better?

5. echoout macrumors 6502a

I'm ordering the 16GB "qualified" kit tomorrow.

-s

6. timestamp macrumors 6502

That is the claim. I don't think there has been any independent testing. The qualified modules have the same heatsink as the stock Apple modules. I see no reason to get any better than what Apple is comfortable giving.

If the prices were more reasonable on the lower end, like 8GB I would entertain it. But $150 for the 4x2GB is a bit much for my taste.

7. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Wuh huh? I'm not sure I understand your math but you won't find any memory that will "actually work in a Mac" for any cheaper. OWC has a great reputation.

I've bought memory from them before and had no problems. I just bought the 6GB kit -- $369 for a total of of 8GB vs. $1,500 at Apple. I haven't even bought my MP yet.

8. quiksilvr macrumors newbie

Prices for ram...

These so far are the best prices for ram, transcend had the better prices for ac pro memory on newegg.com but those modules were for the last version. pricing at 75 bucks for every 2gig stick. but other world computering has a great reputation so i'd say that they are the best choice... im already getting ready to buy some, and my mp pretty soon as well. im happy to have stumbled upon OWC's mac pro memory since most companies don't provide these yet. this is great! just made my day!

-Quiksilvr

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

IMO if you are spending that much money on a Mac Pro, you may as well have Apple RAM in it. It just seems better to me to have Apple RAM and have Apple install it for you. I wouldn't mind if I don't use Apple RAM for any other Mac though.

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Hopefully this is a joke. But congratulations on being wealthy enough that you can throw money out the window. Seriously, luxuries are nice. Just don't expect people in this forum to agree with your position.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just to add some numbers to this.

32GB from apple = $9100
    Saving = $ 6050 or 2 stock MPs :eek:.

12. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Wow. Those prices are incredible!
    I've ordered from OWC before and am very pleased with their service. I bought their Ram for my Mac Pro and never had a problem with it. To suggest shelling out the exorbitant prices Apple are charging for their Ram is ludicrous.

Now we really need to get developers to start putting out 64Bit versions of their software. Adobe, et al. are really dragging their feet on this (yes I know it can be a lot of work).

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I just got 8GB of qualified RAM for my new Mac Pro for $399 from them. Seems like a better deal to me than the one suggested above. :cool:

14. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Those OWC prices are simply amazing to me. Wow.... I'm really astounded by that. It almost sounds too good to be true, but OWC does have a great reputation.

15. quiksilvr macrumors newbie

i have to stop for a second and just wonder what the heck mward does for work that requires a computer setup like that?!?!?! that... is purely and ultimatly the most beuatiful setup i have ever heard of... *sniff* although... i didn't think abut that whole get 2 MP's for the price yu save on ram... i like that idea actually... it makes me ponder what to do with an extra two of them?

any suggestions?

-quiksilvr

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why they're a professor.

I wouldn't ever buy Apple RAM or their hard drives if you can upgrade them.

17. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Eidorian is correct--I'm a statistics professor, and I do a lot of computation with my Mac Pro! I usually do computations with Maple programs or C++ programs that I write, although lately I've been doing more and more pattern matching research, so I am getting very familiar with using Perl.

I agree that it is always less expensive to buy 3rd party RAM and hard drives. I also do my own upgrades. I think that's pretty standard for folks on Macrumors. We all like to save money.

18. firstyearprof thread starter macrumors member

me too

Hi Mark,

As you can guess from my username, I'm a prof too - at University of Colorado. I'm in psychology (behavioral genetics) but do a lot of programming in R for genetics work. My new MacPro (3.0) is on the way, but will add 16 GB RAM (in 4GB modules) from OWC I think - still following the info on this board. If you know R, then you know that if you work with large datasets, you need as much RAM as possible. Anyone else out there use R???

19. quiksilvr macrumors newbie

anyone else joining the party?

im not sure but it seems so far that OWC is the only vendor selling the new mac pro memory. has anyone found any other companies?

-quiksilvr