330m Driver Question? Which one do you use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swl7, Jul 7, 2010.

1. swl7 macrumors member

Hi I'm just trying to see what drivers most people with the 2010 macbook pro's are using. Ex: 197.16, 237.21, etc. And if you want, you can even provide your benchmark scores (3Dmark06, futuremark, vantage).

thanks!

2. DLovett macrumors member

Sup'

I would recommend you to check out www.laptopvideo2go.com.

There you will find the newest driver releases from nVidia, which can be applied to your card with either the standard .inf file, or a customized one with included support for all newer mobile GeForce cards.

I personally use the newest release, 258.69. The newer 25x series have given me a significant performance boost over the 19x series.

3. swl7 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, but I know about laptopvideo2go. that's where i got my 257.37 driver. the point of this post was just to compare benchmarks among similar macbook pros to weed out which drivers are better in performance compared to other versions( 25x 19x ... etc)
    :)

4. skypilot4life macrumors newbie

Hey swl and Dlovett, I find your posts very interesting, can you give me the link to the newest drivers available for Ge Force 320M (13'' MBP 2010)? I would appreciate it since I'm not much of a tech guy. Thank you a lot.

5. swl7 thread starter macrumors member

you can go to the same site and use pretty much the same drivers. most drivers that support 330m work for 320m as well I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd recommend the 25x series but some people favor the 19x series (197.16...etc) I personally use 257.37 but I heard 257.21 was the most recent, stable version

6. skypilot4life macrumors newbie

Dear swl,

I'm very happy with my findings in this thread, you are right, they all work, I misread 330M for 320M the last time I read your answer and I downloaded version 258.69 (I really thought it was the right GPU drivers for my 13'').

Ever since gaming performance has been ''stellar'', I love it.

You have been a great help, thanks again, if you were here I would give you a hug;)

Have a good day.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks for the tips guys -- I'm installing Win 7 on my MBP now just for Starcraft 2 because the performance in OS X is abysmal. That and so I will be less tempted to play it in the middle of doing work while booted in OS X :)

8. sadcamper macrumors regular

I'm using 257.21...if anyone's interested. I don't much about drivers, so I have no other input. :)

9. swl7 thread starter macrumors member

:( wish some tech-guy would come in today and just tell me what the best driver is for my set up lol. maybe I'm just wanting more and more. nothing is wrong i just want the best

10. sadcamper macrumors regular

Did you read this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=903097

11. swl7 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, no one really talks about driver specifics. but I did read that thread and i overclocked. thanks though

12. sadcamper macrumors regular

Is there anything specifically wrong with your setup? You're a gamer I assume?

13. swl7 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i play a lot of games. 1) flamers don't come in and start talking to me about mbp not being a gaming laptop. i know that. i just like apple products (applefanboy) and I use my mbp for other things like video editing, photoshop and web development. 2) nothing particularly wrong in my setup. it's just that the thread you linked me to has people benchmarking with clocks at around my rates and they're getting a score of +1000 off of mine. Same set up. not sure why. That is my main reason I want to figure this out.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Anyone know if there's an 'optimal' 330m driver for SC2? I'm using 258.69 from laptopvideo2go.com and it is squeezing a few more FPS out for me but I thought the difference would be more dramatic over the stock boot camp 3.1 driver.

15. sadcamper macrumors regular

Maybe asking the same question on a game-specific forum might get you more results?

...just don't mention what machine you're using. ;)

16. prism macrumors 6502a

I find it interesting that people mock the MBP for lagging on the gaming side but I am also not aware of a laptop in the same class as the MBP (class as in dimensions, weight, battery power) that has a gfx card that is way more powerful than what the 2010 15" MBP has to offer!