330M overclock : discussion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dusk007, Jul 2, 2010.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I wanted to start a poll but I have no idea how. I guess I am not allowed too.
    I'd like to know how many over clock their 330M and how much. Somebody without Windows, who hardly ever plays any kind of game probably doesn't over clock but there are probably many that do play but still don't over clock.

The only game I am playing now is Modern Warfare 2 and over clocked the 256mb 330M offers about 25% more performance. That is the difference between 25 and 30 fps.

I found that temps don't really rise. At default the GPU reaches about 70C and the CPU around 50 (idle is 32-40). Over clocked 645/808/1451 it avg 73C and CPU is a little lower on 48-49C because the fans work a little harder while the CPU has the same amount of work. That sounds pretty cool to me and I didn't even test any higher, because usually a notebook GPU is a cool chip that over clocks well as long as it is cool enough, and desktop GPUs on the same silicon sometimes run standard on almost 90C.
    The max temps are higher with 82C which it reaches after game start for a short period until the cooling really kicks in. There is no fan control prog running.

That is a 30% increase in clock speed with almost no increase in temps. I don't know how to read out fan speeds in windows but I don't notice the fans from in the loud gameplay anyway.

What are your clocks??

I don't like benchmark tools as they don't really help me determine what matter really to me. I know with furmark I get higher temps but I am not running furmark for fun ever. I play CoD.
    I used in the game (Call of Duty MW2) in Act 2 of the campaign the misson "of there own accord" because it is probably one of the hardest with the lowest min framerates. I get stock 24-25 fps running outside and min 22. Inside it is 33-60fps. Over clocked it is 28 min 30-31 outside and 38-120 indoors. I use native res (high res) but no AA and no soften smoke edges because it kills performance in some scenes and I don't see the difference. Everything else is on the maximum I can switch it to and the textures are high. AA is only missing in some levels with high contrast where edges start flickering a lot but in general I prefer the higher res over AA. It is just more detail and easier to see the enemy.

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I used to think overclocks were super legit. I oc'd the living daylights out of my 7805u 9800m GTS. Custom forceware, the whole 9.

But now I value my battery, and longevity of my components.

OC = Some sweet FPS boosting, I upped My crysis FPS by almost 30
    OC also = No battery
    OC also = You have to be on AC, or the battery won't assign the required current
    OC also = Heat heat heat, though my MacBook Pro runs super hot anyways.

I would look more into undervolting that overclocking.

3. Inside_line macrumors regular

I haven't looked into it but the gpu is notoriously underclocked by apple... so your "overclocking" success isn't really all that surprising. Would be fun to look up the nvidia reference clock speed for the chip and compare that with where you are now.