$350 used iPhone. Good deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aaronchow, Jul 11, 2011.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

Long story short, my iPhone is broken and completely not usable. My friend is offering me his iPhone 4 (AT&T) for $350. Is it a good deal? Or should I get a cheap dumb phone and wait for couple months. Thx

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

That is a pretty good deal considering most iPhone 4's are going for $400+ on eBay.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

take it to the apple store, and see if they can do anything for you. an out of warranty replacement might cost you $199.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Without knowing the capacity, it is hard to say.
    Alternatively, you could take your old iPhone to Apple and pay $200 to replace it which would be cheaper.

5. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Apple Store out of warranty replacement is only $199 so I would go with that instead.

6. flipster macrumors 6502a

Apple might not even charge you anything!

My brother was 120 days out of warranty, and they only charged him $80 for a new phone.

7. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

tell your friend i'll buy it... hehe tommorow...

8. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

I am a bit shy to bring this to an Apple Store......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310436003.534983.jpg

But I will go to the out of warranty replacement route. Thx!!!

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's a good deal for an iPhone 4, if that's what you really want. If you don't care how new your device is though, then go to Apple and see if you get lucky there. If your phone is a 3G, I wouldn't bother but if it's a 3Gs then definitely try.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you are honest with Apple and tell them you dropped it (and that you acknowledge that it is out of warranty), you might have luck scoring a free replacement.

Though if they don't replace it for free, you knew you were looking at spending $200 anyways

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

1st try Apple store nothing to loose. Honesty goes the farthest. you do buy the iPhone 4 you can sell yours for parts or as is on ebay. somebody will buy it and you will be surprised what a cracked screen iPhone brings.

12. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I paid $200 for a 16GB iPhone 4 from someone on another messageboard I go to. I've seen broken iPhone 4's selling for around $310 so $350 for a working one is a pretty good deal especially if it's 32GB.

Also I've seen a bunch of people bring iPhone's with a shattered screen to Apple and walk out with another phone for no charge. It may depend on the genius you talk to but don't underestimate Apple's customer service. It's better than most companies. I would try a few times before buying a new phone.

13. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

Just to follow up on my issue. I went to the Apple Store in San Francisco's Stonestown and honestly explain my situation, but he told me that my warranty expired a year ago (yeah, I already know...). He said that I need to pay $200 to replace my phone. He went to look for a 3GS but it wasn't in stock, so he asked me to wait and went to talk with his store manager. Later when he came out, he told me that they would offer me a refurbish 16GB iPhone 4 for free!

The really nice thing about this phone is that it looks completely new and there is no scratch at all. So not only Apple fix my out of warranty phone for free, but also they upgraded my phone as well!

I love Apple!

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nice!! blows that $350 deal right out of the water :D

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Talk about a lucky break. Enjoy your new phone!

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Is there anyway you can get some $0 phone to survive until the iPhone 5? I would highly recommend that route instead of paying for an iPhone 4 now.

I have a similar question, i didn't want to start a thread about it:

I have an iPhone 3G, and it's in great condition except the back (Apple logo) is scratched up. How much can i sell it for?

18. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

They must be really trying to get the stock down I smell new iPhone 4s/5 sooner than later!!

19. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I can't believe it either. A phone a year out of warranty swapped for a new ip4??? I'm glad Apple has such great CS, but that actually kind of irritates me. Why should I bother with apple care??

20. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

I think they gave me a one time deal. They said they don't normally carry refurbish items. But someone just happen to return the phone to them and at the same time they ran out of 3GS (I think). So if it wasn't because of this great timing, I would still need to pay $200 for it (which I was going to pay for it anyway)

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Oh, the lies that they say ...
    Apple carries refurbished iPhones all the time. They just happened to run out of the model that you needed.

22. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

atleast 250..... 16gb correcT?

23. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

A 3G, no matter what capacity, will fetch you maximum $200 in my city. Aren't price checks against forum policy, outside of the marketplace? :D

24. daaneel macrumors regular

You are one lucky guy! I wonder if I can bring in a broken iPhone 1 and hope I get a super nice genius to replace it with 4 :D

25. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

definitely try your luck with the apple store first. i just brought them a water damaged iphone 4 that was totally unusable and they swapped it for free. even if they charge you the 199, you still save about 150.