Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yep, this was mentioned back in June. Here is one of the better threads on it with a nice high resolution shot of it.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
A pretty funny easter egg in Leopard

OK. If you have a Windows PC on your network, connect to it. Then attempt to view the files in Cover Flow in Finder. Pretty cool huh? Those people at Cupertino have a sneaky sense of humour!!

Here -
1754559502_2da935b5a1_o.jpg

Haven't bought Leopard yet, myself but I found this on a blog. Still funny though!

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
That is freaking hillarious... I never tried to browse the windows computers like that. haha

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Frankly the more i see this the more it irritates me. Not least because that's actually the icon for a generic SMB share, you get the same icon if your connecting to Windows, Linux or even a Mac over SMB.

It just strikes me as an unnecessarily cheap dig at MS.

Also that's not what a STOP error looks like since about Windows 98. Should MS start using a Sad Mac icon?

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
I'm sure there will be an update soon enough to remove it... because you are right, it is a cheap dig a MS... (although slightly funny that they left that in)

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
I hate this. It's immature. Worse, it seems to be the generic icon for any network device that isn't an Apple one. Two of my routers show up with this icon... very annoying.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
I'm sure there will be an update soon enough to remove it... because you are right, it is a cheap dig a MS... (although slightly funny that they left that in)

You are right. They did leave it in. It was mentioned a few months ago because it appeared in a developer build.

I, personally, am glad to see that it stayed!

:apple:

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
While it is hilarious, I do admit that it is a bit unprofessional. Ever seen Microsoft taking a stab at Apple?

This is not something to be expected out of a huge corporation. Developers build- I understand. But the GM one.... not really.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
When I saw it, I really had to laugh hard. It might be unprofessional, but it is really funnny :) Most people will not recognize it anyway.

Lh'owon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
New Zealand
Haha, that's great. Get a sense of humour people. The whole of OS X doesn't have to be sleek and clinically professional – surely there's room in a corner for a bit of a laugh? It's not as if MS doesn't deserve it.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
While it may be funny, it is not professional, especially because apple is trying to break into the business market where there will invariably be PCs on the network (and possibly inhibit potential switchers by this cheap joke). I see this as a pointless jab that will most likely do more harm than good to apple and really very base.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Ever seen Microsoft taking a stab at Apple?

Thanks for saying this, as I feel kind of the same way. I'm a Coke guy, and you never see Coke taking swipes at Pepsi. Pepsi, though, has whole ad campaigns that rag on Coke. It just screams of some kind of complex.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
While it is hilarious, I do admit that it is a bit unprofessional. Ever seen Microsoft taking a stab at Apple?

This is not something to be expected out of a huge corporation. Developers build- I understand. But the GM one.... not really.

Microsoft take a stab at Apple? No! Never.....ohh wait what was that email I got yesterday from Microsoft......something about making 6pm useful.

Nope Microsoft would NEVER stoop that low! :p

33xagra.png

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
'professionalism' is overrated.
people need to learn how to relax.

I have to agree with you. Its a computer software Operating System! Its a funny harmless jab at another competing company (who I'm sure get along on a personal level). If this icon causes harm to any one of the company's profits, market share, or integrity then said company was doomed to fail anyways. Besides, average computer users wouldn't even see the reference, let alone know what it meant.

Humor, Sarcasm, and Friendly Jabs are what keep life interesting and fun...,among other things.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Microsoft take a stab at Apple? No! Never.....ohh wait what was that email I got yesterday from Microsoft......something about making 6pm useful.

Nope Microsoft would NEVER stoop that low! :p

Oh wow, nice find! :rolleyes:

Absolutely hilarious.

mynameisjesse

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
new york.
I'm really sick of the cheap shots. These, along with extremely naive fanboys, are what I hate most. I love my Mac more than anyone I know, but that stuff is really childish.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm really sick of the cheap shots. These, along with extremely naive fanboys, are what I hate most. I love my Mac more than anyone I know, but that stuff is really childish.

The same goes for those who think other companies don't do it right back.

I assume the whole Mac/PC ad campaign didn't settle well with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.