Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Sorry but frontrow in leopard is really ugly.

I just can't get over it, since it feels like it was downgraded. UI wise i don't know how mr. jobs could've had approved that. It's really inconsitent now and what's up with the ugly rectangular selection highlighted with blue glows? Yuck.
It feels more like a m$ app now.

also the blue timeline bar is annoying. the previous one was so nice, minimal and very well visible.

And movie trailers section is a downgrade as well. Previously you could see all posters listed as thumbnails. Now you have to click yourself through each title to see what's it about.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
I bet you do not know this is the same interface used on TV since it came out long ago.

Personally I like it.

Although its a LOT like the OS 9 theme from Apple called Hi-Tech.

Hi-Tech_theme.gif

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
OP, I'm with you on this one. I like the old one much better. Too bad were stuck with it...

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I just can't get over it, since it feels like it was downgraded. UI wise i don't know how mr. jobs could've had approved that. It's really inconsitent now and what's up with the ugly rectangular selection highlighted with blue glows? Yuck. .

I disagree with you, I think it is great. Steve Jobs did a great job on it. You are missing the whole picture. It is not a downgrade at all. The way the preview that flies by on the left is awesome. If the titles are longer than will be displayed they scroll across the title bar and that is awesome. You just are not seeing the whole picture.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada

I just can't get over it, since it feels like it was downgraded. UI wise i don't know how mr. jobs could've had approved that. It's really inconsitent now and what's up with the ugly rectangular selection highlighted with blue glows? Yuck.
It feels more like a m$ app now.

also the blue timeline bar is annoying. the previous one was so nice, minimal and very well visible.

And movie trailers section is a downgrade as well. Previously you could see all posters listed as thumbnails. Now you have to click yourself through each title to see what's it about.

while i don't completely disagree with you, i think the new UI is acceptable... however, i think it would have been nice to simply add on to the original front row, instead of creating a completely new UI... the first version's UI was very nice... this new UI (i hate to say it) reminds me of vista... *cringe*

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I noticed that too - it only fades to black and then FR appears... I loved the 'fade to desktop' feature... :(

The new one isn't necessarily ugly, but the old version looked more advanced if you ask me. The transition was just down right nifty.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I think the new Front Row is horrible. The whole UI feels very "beta" and unfinished. The fade to black transition is lame, the progress bar and volume indicators look horrible, and I'm overall quite unhappy with it. Definitely a downgrade for sure.

I also can't seem to access the trailers section... it says I'm not connected to the Internet, yet I am.. how else would I be posting this

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I don't really mind the interface, but I hope they'll make it so you can still have something playing while opening Front Row.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I hated the old one. When I wanted to use it I just went downstairs and turned on my :apple: tv. But I do miss the old transition to front row (the zoom out).

lamerlizer

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
singapore
at first when steve jobs presented the new interface, i thought it was ugly, but after getting to use it, i found it to be very slick! =D and yea they should have some transition, the previous transition managed to wow many of my friends, i don't think this would be as impressive.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
It is really stupid that music doe not continue to play upon exiting front row. Like I want to sit and stare at album artwork while i listen to a song. seriously, apple. You've made Front Row useless. It's essentially a more limiting iTunes interface.

JNB

macrumors 604
I never use FR much, but the new one is acceptable. More straightforward, less swoopy for its own sake.

One thing I have noticed is that none of the apps (iTunes, iPhoto, etc) are left running now after exiting FR, as they used to be in Tiger. That much I definitely like.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
One thing I have noticed is that none of the apps (iTunes, iPhoto, etc) are left running now after exiting FR, as they used to be in Tiger. That much I definitely like.

This is because Front Row used to just essentially be a front end to the different i-apps and would run them in the background and channel their output through its own interface. That's also why music would continue playing when changing through the menus, etc. Now Front Row is pretty much just the standalone app that was developed to run on the AppleTV, which had to support itself.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
I think the new front row is great, I just want to be able to get 3rd party frappliances working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.