Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
When I put my MacBook Pro to sleep and then wake it up, it's laggy. The mouse jumps around the screen and animations are really slow. It lets me log in, though (password-protected sleep).

I just recently upgraded to Leopard. It did this in Tiger too, but only once in a while. It does it almost every time in Leopard.

It does this both when it's plugged in and running on battery.

Another thing I've noticed is I put it into sleep and then wake it up the login box doesn't show up for about a minute after I wake it up. Is this deep sleep?

Thanks!

Mike

Edit: I've checked Activity Monitor too, nothing out of the ordinary, except my free RAM is lower than expected. (530 MB out of 2 GB)

noj

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
i unfortunately have had the same problem as of late after installing leopard. only remedy i know is to restart. hopefully this is addressed in an update

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has it. (even though it sucks that more people have it)

It does help after a restart, but I can't constantly restart my computer.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
It does this when I wake from sleep as well. Your airport card is most likely trying to connect to a network. Once it connects my computer is fine again.

Good luck.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
That's not it. I'm browsing the web while it's happening, and my computer's been on all day and it still does it.

These two things are definately linked. I turned off my AirPort and now it's worse. The mouse won't move, and the keyboard's getting laggy too. I turned it back on and now the keyboard works fine, but the mouse is laggy again.

I'm about to restart, again.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
OK... I'll try that this weekend.

I'd still like to know what might be causing it, though. Anyone else know what it might be.

MacLair

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2007
Alberta
My MBP 2.2 Ghz/160G HD/4G RAM does this as well but not every time. It is related to Airport somehow and the cursor goes nuts some times when waking from sleep if Airport cannot connect.

In general though, the cursor is jumpy at any time and jumps to hot corners launching stuff I don't want.

Has anyone tried an archive and install with any success for this issue?

Mack1N

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
can i say...me too?

i had this problem as well. it usually happens when i close the lid to put it to sleep. but i think ive found a work around by pressing the power button to put it to sleep, then close the lid. and when it wakes from sleep...viola! things seem'd normal. hope this helps?

gphoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
U.S.
I also have this problem. It has to do with airport, because when I turn airport off, it stops lagging, and only does it when airport is on.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I hope someone from Apple reads this thread.

I wonder how many other people have it.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
Add me to the list as well.... Come on Apple, it's my first mac and so far so good. It would be nice to have this problem addressed however...

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
I'm having a different issue. If I leave my computer alone and it's asleep for a long time, I cannot wake it up at all. I have to completely reboot my MBP and I always report the issue to Apple after it occurs. Hopefully an update will come to fix this.

benguin

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2006
Canada
I haven't had issues with it running slow when it wakes up, but since I upgraded to Leopard it's been taking a really long time to go to sleep (30 seconds or so), and maybe 5 seconds to wake up, which is still a lot longer than before.

2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB, 160GB 7200RPM, 15".

effer

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Had this MBP with Leopard for less than a week and I have major issues coming out of sleep. Blank screen, dead keyboard, and yes--laggy trackpad--but oddly enough, perfect two-finger scrolling :confused:

I will have to do more tests without using wifi to see if it's the cause of all these problems. But right now, my trackpad is unusable (although usb mouse has recovered) and I have airport turned off..

Also, I have to mention that launching a bunch of apps at the same time just kills this OS. Failed loading, unresponsive inputs, stuttering mp3 playback.. totally not indicative of the hardware. Leopard is in serious need of repair!

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Same here.....

I too have had the same issues.
When I close the lid and reopen to awake two things happen.
The screen will take a long time to respond and then once the system responds, mouse movements are lagged as well is the system in general. This has happened with or without airport on.

Hopefully this can be fixed in an update.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Last night I put my MBP to sleep through the Apple menu and this morning it's working fine.

michaelchan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Same issue

I have the stuttering mouse problem coming out of sleep probably once in every five to seven resumes or so. I'm on a 17" MBP 2.4 high res. My friend has the same issue at a similar frequency; he's on a 15" MBP 2.2. It's not a problem on my partner's 15" 1.67 PowerBook. We're all running Leopard, but my friend and I had the problem before upgrading.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I'm having a different issue. If I leave my computer alone and it's asleep for a long time, I cannot wake it up at all. I have to completely reboot my MBP and I always report the issue to Apple after it occurs. Hopefully an update will come to fix this.

This is similar to the problem I am having although mine occurs when I go through the Apple menu to put it to sleep. I have to reboot as it will not wake. This doesn't happen when I leave it alone and it sleeps by itself...

felixfatfunk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
London
slow Mac

Had the same problem. All to do with a external hard drive via USB, via Airport Extreme. Turns out that there is a conflict between Finder and Airport/ex disc. Have fixed the problem and all seems to be fine as before a late update on Tiger and Leopard upgrade,
The Fix,(copy and pasted from another forum)
Same problem, upgraded to 10.5, no auto-mount of Airport Extreme USB Hard Drive. The solution that worked for me is to, open System preference/accounts/Login Items and remove Airport Base Station Agent from the list. Reboot system then go to Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices, and delete the app, Airport Base Station Agent from the list. Then use your Install CD which came with the AP base, then go back to Login items and click the + icon and select the new installed app, Airport Base Station Agent and click the box to ensure it launches on next reboot. Reboot and your USB drive will auto-mount on the desktop as normal basically you are installing the old app version, which worked correctly. Hope this helps, worked for me, best wishes. :)

Cheers and oh itunes is up to speed again no more 'Ball of Death'

FFF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.