Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I did a search on this issue because I keep having wake from sleep issues with my MBP running Snow Leopard (did it in Leopard too). Here's the kicker, though. Ever since I bought Logic 9.1 to run a home studio setup in another room, I've noticed that the MBP wakes from sleep perfectly EVERY TIME in that room. The key differences are two-fold. One is that my external WD backup FW800 drive is not plugged in when in the other room and the other is that my USB hub with keyboard/mouse is not being used either in that room (just the trackpad). I do, however, have a Pre-Sonus Firewire interface connected there and a Midi-Man 2x2 (and for whatever reason, the Midi-Man never works right with Logic 9.1 (lagged to death) unless I unplug it AFTER I've run Logic and then plug it back in (triggering irritating error message that have "do now show again" boxes that DO NOT work).

My USB hub was an IOGEAR model with firewire and USB ports on it and it was a bit spotty when connected to my PowerMac (the Firewire port would heat up to a point where it was read to break) so I moved it to the MBP after reading about others having that same problem with previous Macs. In any case, I figured the MBP didn't like the USB hub part either. I ordered a model that got 5-star marks on Amazon and when I tried it today, the MBP locked up 2-for-2 times (requiring a hard reset in both cases). The IOGear model was less predictable. It would usually just get a non-responsive mouse or keyboard within a few seconds of waking from sleep. Unplugging it and plugging it back in would usually (but not always) restore the mouse and keyboard. It would also sometimes lock the whole machine up or the hub might refuse to come back on when it was plugged back in unless I did a hard reset. So basically, the new hub seems worse.

There is also the possibility it could be the external firewire drive in the dock setup (I'd have to do more testing to find out with the USB hub removed during testing) and of course other things like the external monitor and Gigabit Ethernet cable I'm assuming are unlikely candidates. All I know is that there is SOMETHING in that setup that causes serious wake from sleep issues that do not exist when the MBP is used by itself where it seems to wake instantly and perfectly fine. I do not know why the Midi-Man device has issues (even from a reboot unless unplugged and plugged back in after Logic loads; it does NOT have that issue if I load Garage Band instead. It only occurs with Logic 9.1 and it's a nuisance. Given the price of that software, I don't think it should be having problems compared to Garage Band....

My Hackintosh Netbook by comparison wakes perfectly every single time (even with an external monitor attached), but its mouse is connected directly to a USB port. I could try the hub on it too, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.