38mm vs 42mm On Wrist Comparison

virginblue4

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I did the same exercise. Printed the 42mm and 38mm faces and taped them onto my Movado, who's band is slightly too narrow for the 42mm...

42mm:

38mm:

Based on my body type, the 42mm seems to be a good fit. I was always worried it would be too large because my Movado is the same height as the 38mm, but far narrower. But, because of the UI and the fact that I'll be reading content on the screen, I think the 42mm will be perfect.
38mm looks a lot better on you.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I did the same exercise. Printed the 42mm and 38mm faces and taped them onto my Movado, who's band is slightly too narrow for the 42mm...

42mm:

38mm:

Based on my body type, the 42mm seems to be a good fit. I was always worried it would be too large because my Movado is the same height as the 38mm, but far narrower. But, because of the UI and the fact that I'll be reading content on the screen, I think the 42mm will be perfect.
Ditto on getting the 42mm. Modeling this on too narrow bands are throwing off too many people's opinions.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
^^^^^^ I don't know man, I think I prefer the 38mm. Maybe I just like smaller watch sizes, but I personally like the 38mm in your photo and the 38mm in my OP.
I'm with Lupend on this. The 38mm is just so sexx0r :D

38mm is what i would go for if i do opt to get this watch.

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I'm with Lupend on this. The 38mm is just so sexx0r :D

38mm is what i would go for if i do opt to get this watch.
I am obsessed with the sizes and figuring which one is best. lol.

I photoshopped the milanese loop version overtop the print-to-proper-size model. The result is what you see, taped on my existing watch.

Seeing the 42 and 38 with the watch face... gosh, I'm leaning the 38 now.

I think 39.5mm would be the perfect size, but hey, what are ya going to do? 38mm below:

and the plain face from the day before in 38mm:

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Keep in mind that using a camera up close is going to create some perspective distortion, so it'll look larger in wrist shots with your iPhone than in real life.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
I am obsessed with the sizes and figuring which one is best. lol.

I photoshopped the milanese loop version overtop the print-to-proper-size model. The result is what you see, taped on my existing watch.

Seeing the 42 and 38 with the watch face... gosh, I'm leaning the 38 now.

I think 39.5mm would be the perfect size, but hey, what are ya going to do? 38mm below:

and the plain face from the day before in 38mm:
The 38mm looks so damn good man! Great job on the pics by the way. Thank you guys for perspective on how the watch would look.

I got small wrists despite being quite built myself but I suppose its the tell tale sign of when i was thinner.

I just hope Apple gets the price right on the Stainless steel version, I would love the Edition but the rumored prices are far too much. As this is plainly a vanity purchase for me I won't be spending more than £400-500.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Best is the one I always get.
So, you don't mean best, you mean the one you prefer personally yourself ?

My best, may well be different to your best as we may have different views on what aspects of a device are important.

EG. Best computer would be a PC, and not an iMac as a PC can always be better than any iMac :)

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
So, you don't mean best, you mean the one you prefer personally yourself ?

My best, may well be different to your best as we may have different views on what aspects of a device are important.

EG. Best computer would be a PC, and not an iMac as a PC can always be better than any iMac :)
When I buy something that's the best, it is the best out there. Every other thing is peasant level.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
How do you know this? Source?
I don't know about the aluminum model, but for precious metals models it makes sense that a larger watch would cost more. Assuming the watch is solid in that material and not just plated, which I think I read previously but I'm not 100% sure. Since the vast majority of the expense of the high-end (i.e. gold) watches is in the metal itself, more gold = more expense.

MacMonkee

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
UK
Just as a comparison, the original Pebble watch is 51mm tall. Even on my teeny tiny wrists, it doesn't look too large, so I'll probably go for the 42mm version

Last edited:

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
For me, I think the 38mm one will look better. I have lots of time to consider fully though, as I can't justify to myself, the cost of a new iMac 5K the same year as an Apple Watch. So I'll continue saving for the iMac for this Xmas, and see what the next Apple Watch is like.

Now all I need to do is come up with my own gingham themed photo to share in the meantime, and we can make this a new meme!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't know about the aluminum model, but for precious metals models it makes sense that a larger watch would cost more. Assuming the watch is solid in that material and not just plated, which I think I read previously but I'm not 100% sure. Since the vast majority of the expense of the high-end (i.e. gold) watches is in the metal itself, more gold = more expense.
This would of course be true if the retail price in any way reflected the manufacturing cost of the item.

Many people here are saying that Apple will charge vastly more for the Edition watch that cost of the normal watch plus the value of the gold.

Profit or $1000, $2000, $3000+ ABOVE the cost of the materials have been suggested.

If that is indeed the case, then the cost difference of the gold between the 38mm and 42mm models becomes a non issue, and they could easily retail for exactly the same.

IF those people here, who are suggesting the very high prices are to be believed.
I feel the price will not be as high as these people are suggesting though.

applegeek01

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Knoxville, TN
I did the same, yet I don't currently own a watch to place the cut outs on. It might just be me, but the 38 looks too small on my wrist. I think I'm going to go with a 42. Thoughts? The first is 38 and the second is 42.

Attachments

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I did the same, yet I don't currently own a watch to place the cut outs on. It might just be me, but the 38 looks too small on my wrist. I think I'm going to go with a 42. Thoughts? The first is 38 and the second is 42.
I think you could use the bigger one, but it's hard to tell without the band, I think that changes the dynamic.

applegeek01

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Knoxville, TN
I know this doesn't pertain to size, but if some of you could read over this problem that I'm having with narrowing down the options for which to get. My apprehensions might be subsided if I got some input from you all:

When I look at the watch on Apple.com I am puzzled as to what to expect in terms of color and bands. I'm a guy who revolves around black. I'm partially color blind so black and shades of gray make up a good part of my wardrobe. As the :apple:Watch would be an integral part of my daily wardrobe, it's not necessarily an accessory I would want to purchase online without physically seeing and trying out, but also not a product that I would wait for a week outside of Apple Store to get it on launch day. Assuming preorders are going to be available, I would like to order online so that I could receive my watch on launch day. However, I'm not sure what to expect with which casing to choose. As I mentioned black beforehand, it's probably no surprise that I'm leaning towards the black stainless steel case option. I'm a fashionable and exercise loving guy, so I plan on purchasing a good many bands. I want the black sports band, the black classic buckle, a matching link bracelet, a midnight blue modern buckle (for when I where navy), and probably a light brown leather loop. I tell you all this because after looking at the website over and over again, I notice that at the bottom of the :apple:Watch page featuring 'all' 18 models in the collection, that the only band that seems to match the black stainless steel case is the black link bracelet. There is a noticeable difference in the two stainless steel options in terms of tint, as it's meant to be, but the none of the other bands shown seem to match the black stainless steel option. Upon further investigation, I see that the modern buckle and classic buckle seem to only match the regular stainless case in terms of the tint of the buckles and the small pieces that the bands slide into lock in with the case. The loops and sports bands small locking pieces seem to flow into the case from the band rather than match the case. So my question is, does anyone think that Apple plans to have the classic buckle and modern buckles match the case in terms of the metal located on the band? Or will they only have the bands having the regular stainless steel on them? I just though that this was something you guys could speculate on for me. I'm not even sure how well the black stainless steel case would look in terms of matching with the navy modern buckle. After all, they say navy and black don't match. So maybe that's why they don't feature the black with another band in the 18 model view. I know it's all just speculation at this point, but I wasn't sure if anyone else was thinking the same thing I was.

To further advance it, I'm not sure if the :apple:Watch Sport will be able to use any other band except for other sport bands. I say this, again touching on the fact that the buckle band options feature metal that wouldn't match the brushed look of the sport edition. The sport option obviously features the buttons to interchange the bands from photos that I have seen online, but I highly doubt you can use any other bands besides sport bands. Like the leather loops, the sport bands lock into the case seamlessly (not sure if that's a a good word) rather than have the band connected to a metal piece that interlocks into the case.

Maybe I'm being insane, but maybe we could touch on this, or maybe just start a new thread. I'm sure Apple could clear all this up with their launch event, but some discussion will never hurt anyone. Sorry if I interrupted or disturbed this thread! Look forward to your thoughts.

Last edited:

splogue

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Interesting.

When I first started reading your post, I immediately thought sure, he's going to want the black stainless with the matching black link band. But, then when you said you wanted to buy all those other bands, I wasn't as sure. We don't really know if Apple will make all the other bands in black stainless and regular stainless. In fact, it seems like from what we know today that they won't.

So, if you buy the black stainless model, which makes total sense, it is fairly likely that you won't have many bands to choose from. If that is the case, you probably should get the regular stainless model instead, because that can use all the bands.

At this point, this is speculation, to be sure. The good news is that I strongly believe that Apple will hold another press announcement for the watches with additional details, so you will probably know what they are up to prior to the preorder day. So, have a plan, and a backup plan, and make your final decision when you know more.

My two cents.

Sean

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
42mm no question for me. I feel the 38mm offering is just an extra from Apple for those who are intimidated by the 42mm. I did the cutouts and I believe many women would be comfortable with the 42mm too.

There are some ginormous watches out there today, Apple Watch looks good and its functional. I want the 42mm.