3am Eastern Verizon reason?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roadking, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Roadking macrumors 6502

This is probably obvious, but do you think the start time of Verizon's pre order is purposely in the middle of the night to allow Verizon's servers to be able to handle the increased traffic?

Unlike AT&T's release which was I believe 9am East coast time which was so overloaded, maybe they are thinking the die hards will wake up/ stay up, but the vast majority will wait until normal business hours.

It is easy for people on the West coast to just stay up until midnight. But on the East coast 3am is a different story.

If you are on the East coast are you staying up until 3am or are you setting your alarm? I am figuring it will still be chaos at that time. Maybe still take a couple hours to get through? Your thoughts? Good luck...

2. celticpride678

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Apple in California, it's probably easier to start orders at 12am westcoast time for Apple. That's the only thing I can think of

4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

5. Roadking thread starter macrumors 6502

So who is staying up? Who is setting an alarm? Who doesn't give a?

6. elan123 macrumors 6502

Add me to the don't give a ... list.

7. nanna24 macrumors newbie

I plan to have a pot of coffee on. I will be staying up until I've got one ordered.

8. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I took off the first 8 hours of my shift the following day.. I'm staying up :D

9. TimShady macrumors member

I just figured they made it 3AM EST because that makes it officially Feb. 3rd all across the continental U.S., or because they're using Apple time in California.

Either way it'll be 2AM here in Chicago so I'll probably stay up, set an alarm just in case I doze.

10. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

If the alarm goes off on the current iP4 :) They fixed that right?

11. Roadking thread starter macrumors 6502

I am thinking about blowing off the first few hours of work, if not the day on that Thursday.

I wonder how many companies are going to be affected by other people doing the same thing.

Of course I could be responsible and just go into work tired...that is if I can even get through and place an order before work starts.

12. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

im a 24 year old grad student so lets just say i stay up till 3am on a nightly basis. its like verizon really really wants me to pre-order an iphone. so ill will cut my red dead redemption and fallout new vegas time down to a couple hours on thursday morning, so i can get that preorder in!!!

13. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

so now someone could die in a fire just because you wanted an iphone?!!? lol sorry i had to

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

15. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I'm in AZ (No DST so we're currently in MST) so I'll be up and logged in ready to go for my order! Can't wait. Going on a trip soon so looking forward to the improved camera, built in 720p video, iOS apps, and just a new phone to play with (kind of bored w/ my Droid. Done just about everything I could to the thing, and to it's credit it's still ticking but prefer iOS)

16. Interstella5555, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Because it's 12:00am in CA. I ordered mine at like 7:00pm on Apple for the 4 and didn't have any problems, you guys will be fine.

17. flyingnome macrumors newbie

I never thought that there would be an advantage to working overnights.
    If I find out that I won't be charged full price for the phone I will be taking my lunch at regular time, 1:00 am MST and be ordering the V iPhone.
    Finally!

18. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I thought the same thing until I realized it's my off week.

I work 12hr shifts for an IT company. Because of where I work we split it 4 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 4 days off, repeat.

This week is my 3 days on, 4 days off week so I don't work Wed. It's all good, though, anyways because I'm up at 1am AZT anyhow hanging' w/ the wife on my days off.

19. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

I'll be up 12 midnight here on the west coast. Not sure how long it will take to get through for the order but will see. :)

20. Roadking thread starter macrumors 6502

I read in another thread that you won't be able to add another line on the 3rd and are only allowed to upgrade your current line. I also read that you can add another line now using an old phone that you currently have to prep your account to receive an upgrade.

Well I tried to activate an old phone and it caused my Verizon online account to "lock up" Can't even view current information like minutes used etc.

This is typical of what I expected. I think the 3rd is going to be nightmare. Their website can't even handle simple tasks.

I am just annoyed...

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ah, I'm excited for you guys but I really don't care (already have an iPhone 4 and have no reason to want to leave AT&T *shrug*. But I love my phone and I think it's cool more people who want one can have one now. Plus, more iphone 4s out there so more reason for developers to make cool new apps for it *grin*).

22. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

This is what I like to see.

People tend to forget that a lot of people don't have one because they wont/cant use ATT in their area (poor service, preference, etc) and haven't had a chance to get an iPhone. So a lot of the ATT adopters have been talking crap (not all there are a LOT of really cool peeps on MR, but it exists here and I've seen it hardcore in other forums).

It's good to see the same point of view. Who cares when you got it, the subtle changes, or with what carrier. You are now able to finally get that iPhone on the carrier of your choice (Big Red in my case due to issues w/ dead spots w/ ATT in Phoenix).

Can't wait til Fedex/UPS rings that doorbell!

23. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Do you think it will be necessary to wait up until 3am or will placing an order around 8am get it done? :confused:

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well said. I'm happy to have run across your post... not too many appreciate what they have.

+1... the wait is killing me!

I'll let you know on the 5th.

25. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Nah, I'm usually stuck on the medic.. fires will still go out lol