Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/30/business/media/30panda.html?_r=1&hp

Seems like the masses are speaking and they are saying no to 3D movies. Good. Save 3D for special events, a James Cameron movie once every few years or an animated film that uses 3D to add to the story somehow....I didn't see Thor in 3D and will see normal screenings of every other movie this summer, too. Even my kids hate 3D now, sick of the stupid glasses. Does anybody actually like this stuff?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/30/business/media/30panda.html?_r=1&hp

Seems like the masses are speaking and they are saying no to 3D movies. Good. Save 3D for special events, a James Cameron movie once every few years or an animated film that uses 3D to add to the story somehow....I didn't see Thor in 3D and will see normal screenings of every other movie this summer, too. Even my kids hate 3D now, sick of the stupid glasses. Does anybody actually like this stuff?

Avatar was amazing in 3D. Tron: Legacy was decent in 3D. The other movies I just say no to. I could have done without Jackass in 3D really. Although the portable bathroom grossed me out.

I wouldn't mind 3D so much if there wasn't a cost difference. Or if the cost difference wasn't four or five dollars. It's expensive enough to go to the theatres these days.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
3D viewing almost makes watching movies work, when all you're really trying to do is relax for a bit. I also hate ending up with like 13 pairs of ridiculous glasses sitting around that have no useful function.

Now, will someone hurry up and kill 3D TVs?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
3D viewing almost makes watching movies work, when all you're really trying to do is relax for a bit. I also hate ending up with like 13 pairs of ridiculous glasses sitting around that have no useful function.

Yup! I will never own a 3D tv unless that's all there is in the future. Who wants to be bothered with having enough glasses for guests, making sure everyone can sit at the right angle, the headaches.... once a year, tops in the movies! Not on my tv, not in my DS, never!!!!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Avatar was amazing in 3D. Tron: Legacy was decent in 3D. The other movies I just say no to. I could have done without Jackass in 3D really. Although the portable bathroom grossed me out.

I wouldn't mind 3D so much if there wasn't a cost difference. Or if the cost difference wasn't four or five dollars. It's expensive enough to go to the theatres these days.

I completely agree here, although I didn't see Avatar in theatres, I can imagine it would be pretty impressive in 3D. Tron was definitely good in 3D, just because of the type of movie it was. But like you said, most movies it's not really worth it. It's expensive (as if movies weren't expensive enough already) and it really doesn't enhance my viewing experience that much.

As far as 3D tvs, meh. I won't buy one until that's all there is to buy. And while the 3DS is kinda cool, the novelty wore off quickly with the eye strain and slight headache the demo gave me.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

This is how I feel about it, except I would say no to Jackass of any sort. But that's just me.

Some movies lend themselves very well to 3D, and it really gives a whole different feel to the movie. The Pixar movies look astounding in 3D. Actually, those may be the only ones I've really seen in 3D. I wish I had seen Avatar in 3D, but I didn't see it in the theater. I would probably save my 3D viewing for movies that I thought would really show it. I would probably not go see "The Hangover" or something like that in 3D.

I think some people just don't even see it, which doesn't help shape opinion. When we went and saw "Up", my wife and I both thought the 3D was a really nice extra and added some great dimension, while our friend who was there with us said he didn't even see it and thought it was stupid.

One lucky thing for us is that my wife bought a mega pack of tickets about 5 years ago from one of the big local movie chains. The tickets were like $5 or $6 a piece. They have lasted us for years, and we still get to see any movie, 2D or 3D, without having to pay extra. If you have the dough to do so, and you go to the movies enough to warrant it, look into it.

Oh, and I don't plan on doing 3D TV any time soon...to me, 3D needs a huge screen to really get the feel....watching 3D on a 50" doesn't have any appeal.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Good - glad to hear this is on the way out.

It feels like an artificial gimmick when you're watching the film... and the loss of brightness and colour saturation really degrade the experience.

I don't ever want to own a 3D TV. For me, movies are an art form - and 3D doesn't enhance that art in any way.

MacmancUK

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
I saw Avatar 3D.

Enjoyed the film, but found the 3D distracting.

Wearing spectacles didn't make the experience any easier, with the extra 3D glasses, and my eyes started to go bog-eyed halfway through the film.

I'm waiting for Avatar 2D to be released on SKY (non 3D or movie) channel to enjoy it properly.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Must be a US thing. When I went to see Thor the queue for the 3D screening was longer than the 2D one, and that was just Thor so not exactly the benchmark 3D film of the decade! The ticket guy said on big titles like this they see a lot more 3D tickets than 2D...
But here a 3D film is £1 ontop of a £7-10 ticket. You can't even buy cinema snacks for £1.

Personally I love it. My eyes are quite bad but I get the effect. Always pulls me in more than 2D but I know it's not for all films. But when it works - I'm totally absorbed. During Thor I didn't even realise that my girlfriend had put her arm around me.

Tron Legacy. IMAX. 3D. There's nothing like it.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

you know you are suppose to put them in a bin to be recycled and for other customers right?

As for 3D movies it depends. Some movies feel like 3D was just an after thought so it does not look as good. Others (for example Avatar) were designed with 3D in mind so they are really great in 3D.

As for 3D TV I think they are here to stay. As soon as they get them to the point were we do not need glasses and they have a huge viewing angle they will do really well.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Good - glad to hear this is on the way out.

It feels like an artificial gimmick when you're watching the film... and the loss of brightness and colour saturation really degrade the experience.

I don't ever want to own a 3D TV. For me, movies are an art form - and 3D doesn't enhance that art in any way.

Sums up how I feel. If a film is good enough it'll stand on it's own two feet in low res black and white.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Must be a US thing. When I went to see Thor the queue for the 3D screening was longer than the 2D one, and that was just Thor so not exactly the benchmark 3D film of the decade! The ticket guy said on big titles like this they see a lot more 3D tickets than 2D...
But here a 3D film is £1 ontop of a £7-10 ticket. You can't even buy cinema snacks for £1.

Personally I love it. My eyes are quite bad but I get the effect. Always pulls me in more than 2D but I know it's not for all films. But when it works - I'm totally absorbed. During Thor I didn't even realise that my girlfriend had put her arm around me.

Tron Legacy. IMAX. 3D. There's nothing like it.

Imax 3D here in the states: add 7 bucks to your film. i can barely afford to take my kids now, i can't add 7 bucks to each ticket.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
3D guarantees that you will go to the theatre, instead of just renting the Blu Ray.

Some movies you watch just because they are 3D.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
When/if glass-free 3D TVs with wide viewing angles become reality and affordable, then I might buy one. I went to see my first 3D movie few weeks ago, the Pirates of Caribbean 4. To be honest, I would have preferred the 2D version now that I think afterwards. The 3D didn't add much, though it might have been because of the movie. The glasses are horrible IMO. Very uncomfortable, especially for someone who never wears glasses. Then they ask you to pay extra for 3D!

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
The 3D movies I've seen haven't made me think they're worth the extra money or the minor annoyance of the glasses (and since I wear regular glasses, 3D glasses are even more annoying!)

I finds 3D adds a bit for animated movies but not so much otherwise

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
The glasses are horrible IMO. Very uncomfortable, especially for someone who never wears glasses.

they are even worse for people who wear glasses sicne they have to put two glasses on top of each other

watched 2 3d movies in the cinemas a few years ago and since then it's pretty clear to me that it's just a stupid gimmick. A good movie will be just as good when it's not 3d especially with todays picture quality

also around here it's ridiculous difficult enough already to catch the original sound version showing and not the dubbed one...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
also around here it's ridiculous difficult enough already to catch the original sound version showing and not the dubbed one...

Yes, there is that caveat. 3D guarantees that you will go to the theater ONLY if it's shown in original version. Otherwise, there's no option but to downgrade to 3DTV.

This means you will never go to see a sequel again until you get a 3DTV.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
hahaha, 3d isn't going anywhere. :p

you sound like everyone who two years ago was saying blu-ray was dead just because it wasn't widely adopted yet

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Imax 3D here in the states: add 7 bucks to your film. i can barely afford to take my kids now, i can't add 7 bucks to each ticket.

Yup, IMAX is expensive here too. But it's only £1 ontop of the usual IMAX price at least. I think we paid £12 each for Tron Legacy.
Here the pricing seems to be (on the days I go);
Regular: £6 +£1 for 3D
IMAX: £11 +£1 for 3D
Plus you can keep your 3D specs and bring those back for a discount on subsequent ticket prices.

I wear regular glasses too and my eyes are really very poor, but even when I was in the "I HATE 3D SO MUCH" camp wearing 2 specs at once never bothered me.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I don't go to the movie theater much but watch a lot at home and I really don't want 3D glasses in my home theater. The industry always wants to make money any way they can but they really should have waited until they figured out how to do this without glasses.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The problem is the movies that were not shot in 3D but just postprocessed. Those are crap and give 3D a bad rep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.