Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think the problem, at the moment, are the completely dire films that use 3D. Films like Avatar and Tron Legacy were incredible in 3D. So much that I'm not going to bother getting the 2D home versions.

I watched Thor, Captain America etc in 3D and they weren't anything special. We opted for 3D because our cinema (Odeon) has reduced the number of 2D showings, and because it was only an additional £1 on the ticket.

The Hobbit with its crazy 48fps will be the next 3D film I see.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
What if the story is stupid (the words on that MR censored list really include words any six year year old knows)? A story and their characters are still important aspects for many people watching movies. All the effects and blimblim can't help elevate a turd to something strawberry-like.
I like action like the next kid, but even I have interest in the story and characters, and if those two important aspects are treated like necessary add-ons, then I quit watching.
My flatmate recently watched that TF3 movie, in 2D, and he wasn't really enjoying it. I then rented Bad Boys 2 out of interest (Michael Bay was the director there too) and I quit after twenty minutes and returned the movie, as there was no substance.
Just something to add: I recently also watched Crank 2, which is a stupid movie, but somehow it was loads better than BB2, maybe because it didn't take itself that serious or because the actors had a lot of fun doing the movie. In other words, I can sometimes enjoy movies with trite characters and plot, but it has to have some charm. The TF movies don't have any in my eyes.
Gong Fu was loads better in that regard.

I enjoyed Crank 2 as well. I know its not a work of art but it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes movies that know their limitations but play up to them fully (Crank 2 etc) are better than movies which think they deserve time and praise but really try and over reach. (Pearl Harbour, Armageddon etc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.