3D Printed Head Fools Android Face Recognition, iPhone X 'Impenetrable'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Forbes recently challenged a variety of smartphone face-recognition systems with a 3d printed head modeled after the author's head.
    [​IMG]

The final model took a few days to generate at the cost of just over £300. With it, the author tested it out against four Android smartphones and the iPhone X. All Android phones tested were able to be unlocked with the fake 3d printed head.
    The Android phones tested included the LG G7 ThinQ, Samsung S9, Samsung Note 8 and OnePlus 6.

It's been long known that many implementations of facial recognition amongst Android phones have been less secure than Apple's Face ID system. Some of those face recognition systems have been fooled with simple photographs. Apple's Face ID, however, also includes IR depth mapping and attention awareness technology. The attention awareness alone may be enough to explain the inability for a static 3d printed head to unlock the iPhone X. That said, the iPhone X's Face ID has been fooled in the past with more sophisticated printed 3d heads.

Article Link: 3D Printed Head Fools Android Face Recognition, iPhone X 'Impenetrable'

2. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

Proof that apple remains the best, and does things the right way.

Let’s face it, Android is a big fake.

3. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Much prefer the fingerprint sensor.

I own a Pixel 3 XL now after owning iPhones for 11 years.

Not wanting face ID is one of the many reasons I decided to switch.

4. Valkyrie743 macrumors newbie

Valkyrie743

i bet if they turned off attention detection for face id then it would trick it.

5. wouwout macrumors member

That's why every android phone warns you about face recognition security concerns, when setting up face recognition, and a fingerprint is obligatory for banking apps, Google Pay etc

6. Junipr, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

Junipr macrumors regular

Junipr

7. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

If I'm in some dystopian torture chamber with 50 cameras pointed at me, I think I have bigger problems than whether or not my Android phone can be spoofed by a dummy.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You also lose out on iMessages, integration with the Mac and iPad, and having to rely on Google for services because iCloud is now out of reach.

9. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I think it’s telling for my banking app allows me to unlock the app using Face ID for iOS devices but not with face authentication features on android devices. Apple put in the hard work to make it every bit as secure as Touch ID, if not while, while android smartphone OEMs simply crammed in said feature just to tick off a feature checkbox.

And people still go around conflating the two.

10. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

I’m surprised Forbles didn’t claim that a Pete Rose bobblehead doll can unlock an iPhone X.

11. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Impenetrable or not, the simple fact is that we’ve seen very little news about anyone getting past FaceID. This is Apple. It attracts negative news like a magnet. If FaceID was not secure, we’d be hearing about it all the time. The banks trust it with Apple Pay. Customers trust it. It’s a heck of a lot more secure than most alternatives.

12. az431, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2018

az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

13. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

The banks are the key.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2018 ---
    Not using iMessage would be challenging. I’ve never used an Android device and never thought about iMessage until I started to read about RCS and all the failure of googles messaging apps (shudder).

14. ahaslam macrumors newbie

ahaslam

I wish Apple would give us another option beside Face ID.

15. citysnaps macrumors 601

Wouldn't be shocked if a photograph of Alfred E. Neuman could fool and open any Android phone.

16. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

17. thasan macrumors 65816

Yet android people shows off how "fast" their face recognition is. etc etc etc. lol

18. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

For all the arguably valid complaints about lack of innovation in the post-Jobs era, you’ve got to hand it to Apple here. Face ID is legit. The “wow” factor still hasn’t fully worn off, at least for me, over a year later.

19. Mc0 macrumors member

Where’ Huawei mate 20pro. They should have included that phone.

20. mrow macrumors regular

What is your issue with Face ID?

21. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

They never showed the setup of Face ID in this vid:

I can easily recreate this. I first setup Face ID with my face. Then I try to unlock using the mask. Of course iOS will deny access, but once you put in the PIN code, FaceID will learn that the mask is acceptable and will allow access on next try with the mask.

This is nothing more but to raise the profile of the company.

22. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Sick burn! Unless you've heard of dropbox, own a surface pro, or don't revolve your life around texting. But you go man, keep thinking everyone uses tech just like you.

23. Dammit Cubs, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

If someone went out of there way to create a 3D model to get inside my phone then they are specifically targeting you for grander reasons instead of just some random joe on the street.

24. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

What he’s saying is it’s superior integration. Apple has a better ecosystem and products work better together than any other. Sure you can probably do *some* of the same things, but the integration just sucks.

Sorry if that makes you mad.