3D Touch Brings Trackpad Shortcut to iPhone 6s Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple introduced the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus with several new features this week, one of the most significant being 3D Touch. The pressure-sensing technology enables iPhone users to perform additional multi-touch gestures called "Peek" and "Pop" to access Quick Action shortcut menus or preview content within apps.

Apple added a 3D Touch page to its website earlier this week with some examples of what Peek and Pop gestures can be used for, including previewing emails and websites, viewing photos you've taken while taking new ones, quickly accessing your contacts, taking a selfie, quick compose and more.

[​IMG]

One of the more useful actions that 3D Touch makes possible is pressing the iPhone screen to turn the on-screen keyboard into a virtual trackpad (pictured on left).
    Existing iPads running iOS 9 will also have similar functionality, with users able to control an on-screen cursor by moving two fingers anywhere on the screen, including over the QuickType keyboard, to select, edit and move text.

3D Touch also enables iPhone 6s and 6s Plus users to press the left side of the Home screen to switch to multitasking view, press lightly for finer lines or more deeply for thicker ones in Notes, swipe left to delete an email or swipe right to mark it as unread in Mail and more.

Article Link: 3D Touch Brings Trackpad Shortcut to iPhone 6s Keyboard

2. BarmyGnome macrumors 6502

BarmyGnome

3. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

swipeselection is finally on the keyboard, funny though because you can do this easily without force touch

4. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

By biggest question about 3D Touch on the new devices:

Is there a keyboard option in preferences to enable taptic engine feedback for keyboard presses??? To essentially emulate tactile feedback of a physical keyboard on the iPhone keyboard. To me, this would be AWESOME.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

This was working on iPhones in the beta but they turned it off, I guess for this model of phone to have it exclusively. It worked great and should be returned to the older iPhones.

6. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

Don't make me hard.

7. Glassed Silver, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Allow me to use Bluetooth mice already.
    I get that a desktop OS interface makes no sense on a mobile device with touch input, I get that you don't want touch-oriented OS GUIs on the desktop, however, the reason for the big buttons (that by the way got a lot smaller, especially with the surge of using small text links) is that they are easier to hit with a thick finger.
    That doesn't explain why I can't use a device with more precision.
    I hate raising my hands and operating the screen to move in text in Pages on my iPad.
    The Smart Case is unstable as it is.

Glassed Silver:mac

8. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Ever since learning about haptic feedback, I've been really eager to have tactile feedback of a keyboard delivered via a flat surface… but I think Apple specifically refers to their vibration motor as a "Taptic engine" to imply that it only simulates taps. :(

9. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I was excited for this when they unveiled it for iOS 9 but guess they just saved it for the S models and the ipad. Highlighting text is a pain sometimes... must resist upgrading lol

10. Ritte macrumors regular

How did you trigger it and use it?

11. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Apple is going gimmicky to sell phone upgrades.

12. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

Guys!

Please don't overlook this!

Apple removed this from all iPhones in beta 3 in order to make it 6s exclusive.

It was working just fine but they took it away.

This is a move I cannot accept.

13. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

This seems to be exactly the type of hardware/software integration which will make Apple take a clear lead in the home computing and mobile business. Maybe not straight away but definitely within the next 5-10 years.

14. Synthetic macrumors member

Will hard screen protectors mess with 3D touch in anyway do you think?

15. profets macrumors 601

It was working using 2 fingers like on the iPads. On the 6s it's using 3D Touch to enable the cursor.

I think I saw someone mention that the 2 finger method was working in the GM though?

16. driceman macrumors 6502

driceman

Definitely one of the cooler things they've done recently. Don't know of any Android phones with Force Touch-er, 3D Touch.

17. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

So gimmicky-salesy they didn't even mention the feature in their presentation. Sounds like pure marketing to me! :rolleyes:

Funny that people whine even when Apple addresses long running deficiencies in iOS.

18. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I never had good luck with it. I'd accidentally move my text cursor when I was just typing normally. I'd prefer this route where you have to go out of your way to activate it.

19. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

Show some evidence?

I'm not trying to outright say I don't believe you, it's just that I don't remember this feature on my 6+ when I was testing out the beta releases. You're probably right but I need to be sure...

20. jmikhail490 macrumors regular

jmikhail490

I actually think this variation of the S model turned out to be a very nice upgrade.

But then again....that battery...

Oh well we'll still love them!!

21. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

This seems like a much better way to activate the feature, though it should still be available for older iPhones. The old gesture was pretty awkward on the iPhone to be honest.

22. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Why would you bother with a screen protector?

23. Salvor Hardin macrumors regular

It isn't hard to find

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I find it quite amusing that people say Apple isn't innovating but then when we get something like 3D Touch or the Pencil it's just a gimmick to try and get people to upgrade. :rolleyes:

25. Ritte macrumors regular

The Touch ID was also a gimmick according to people. I'm so fond of Touch ID I can't change to android because of Touch ID alone.