3D Touch makes it hard to open links

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J.C, Nov 6, 2015.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

Unless I turn 3D Touch off I find that half of the time when I tap a link it doesn't open. A tap is registered but it's seen as a very light press unless I'm really really deliberate. I've tried adjusting the sensitivity but the only way I can reliably open links is to turn 3D Touch off completely.

Is this a common issue? I've tried the public betas to see if there is s software fix but nothing has changed. Perhaps it's actually a hardware problem with my 6S Plus?

My Touch ID also randomly changes from working perfectly to not working at all. When it stops working I can't even set up a new fingerprint. The phone literally phone register a print at all.

2. TonyC28, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm experiencing this as well. The tap is registered because I get the visual feedback on the screen but I have to tap on the link several times before it opens. And I naturally push harder after the first or second try and then get a 3D Touch action.

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

4. vlinkz macrumors regular

I've had this happen too but really it's just because I am actually pressing harder. It's something I needed to do on older phones and has carried over to this.

To fix it, just tap lightly...

But don't you guys use 3D Touch a lot more than opening the link outright? I'm happy I can just peak into stuff.

5. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

It's definitely not from pressing too hard with my phone. I tap super lightly. No press at all. Still happens constantly. I hardly ever use the peak function. I wish it could be turned off.

6. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Why not turn the 3D Touch off then? Or adjust the sensitivity?

It's in the accessibilities menu.

7. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you didn't read my original post. Adjusting the sensitively makes no difference.

Peek/pop isn't the only function of 3D Touch so I'd prefer not to turn it off. I particularly like the keyboard trackpad.

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

It definitely happens to me a lot as well. I'm learning to just tap lighter. I think after not too long the muscle memory will set this straight.

9. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

That's why I'm thinking I could have a hardware issue. When this is happening I can very deliberately tap a link as lightly as humanly possible (only *just* making contact with the display) over and over again and the link still won't open.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Same problem here. Glad to hear it's not just me. I thought maybe something was wrong with my screen. Sometimes I have to touch a link three or four times to get it to register.

11. nigameash macrumors 6502

I've experienced this too. I guess we're all just "tapping it wrong" :p

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

On a newspaper site that I visit the link will light up/highlight, so it's obvious that my screen press has registered. I then have to press it again in order to open the link. Before 3D Touch the link would have opened with one press. It doesn't happen all the time though and I can't say that it bothers me unduly.

13. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Same. I just keep taping it over and over until it works.

14. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Well, the problem might be that you shouldn't "tap" it. I always think of it as "touching" the links. When I think about tapping, I imagine a little more pressure.

15. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

You didn't read the post about tapping the link as lightly as humanly possible?

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yeah, this happens to me too. It's a mild annoyance as I'm sitting there dumb while waiting for nothing to happen. I've always thought it was because I set the 3D Touch sensitivity to the lightest setting.

I have a theory: the 3D Touch system is a combination of both the minute deformation of the screen and accelerometer input. So, it's possible that occasionally the accelerometer readings will trigger a 3D Touch? Think of how the GarageBand instruments used to work previously (they can be played louder by pressing harder).

Semantics. And I actually think of it being the other way around. A tap (think tap dancer) vs a touch which has a lingering component to it.

17. Conan86 macrumors 6502

I agree that there are numerous times when the tap registered as a 3D Touch and I had to tap again to get to the link. @OP, from your post it sound like you have an over sensitive 3D Touch that is ruining the whole experience, I'd definitely change my phone if 3D Touch is registering at the lightest of humanly possible touch

18. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

So I took my phone to Apple and they said something was definitely wrong. They replaced the phone and the replacement does the exact same thing. The issue is worst when I 3D Touch on an image in the browser or email, or press on the keyboard for the track pad. The trackpad comes up about 1 in 10 times. I have to press super hard on images before they peek/pop. But Live Photos that I take work perfectly. This must be a software issue.

19. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I don't have this problem. I would recommend replacing it again.

20. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

You could peek and pop into every link. I do it just for fun ;)

21. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    3D touch is great for some features, I like to quick launch/Peek apps,Multi task switching is excellent and the keyboard is great, but I don’t use it for opening links, it seems to take longer, I’ve tried the peek & pop, and I don’t like pressing it.
    Some customisation would help

22. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Me too. Must all be tapping it wrong

23. Conan86 macrumors 6502

I do believe the pressure sensitivity on every iPhone is different to a certain extent. TS if the replacement is still troubling you, get it changed again..

Dude? Wrong thread or?

24. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I find peeking in links mostly useless because on most sites half the preview window is the site's logo and menu bar and maybe a sentence or two of the actual article can be seen.

Love the feature everywhere else though.

25. xsimplyjosh macrumors member

For those having trouble with 3D touch.

1) Put your finger on the link until you see a highlight
    2) After you see the link highlight or change slightly in color/appearance, then push a bit harder

I noticed when I try to force press a link direct from the air to contact screen, it sometimes doesn't work too. Try the above hope it helps :)