3D Touch makes sense

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JediZenMaster, Sep 26, 2015.

1. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm loving my new 6s Plus and 3D Touch is pretty awesome. It feels like Apple has access to some dark magic that makes their products functional and great. It's kinda like 2007 all over again.

Looking at how the 3D Touch gesture to get to the multitasking screen works. This is pretty much a nail in the coffin of the home button.

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Can't wait to see what kinds of things 3D Touch will be able to do in iOS 10! That's when we'll really start to see what it's capable of (like Touch ID did in iOS 8).

3. Cryates macrumors 6502a

Agreed

4. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I agree. It's already changed the way I browse the web on Safari. I'm gonna hold off on any iPad purchases myself until this is implemented now.

5. Cryates macrumors 6502a

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Very true!

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Like to see Apple remove the physical home button on the "7"

8. dojoman macrumors 65816

Samsung will come out with similar tech and call it Sensetouch for Galaxy S7.

9. tjleonard macrumors 6502

Me too, make that screen or something else, but I'm sure the way things are packed in, it's not going to matter. I do love the way I can wake the phone up by tapping it and right after the tap it already recognizes my figure print so quick I forget I even have it locked.

10. Cryates macrumors 6502a

the only thing I wonder is, if the home button disappears, how will Touch ID be implemented?

11. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Yeah. I was going to upgrade my Mini 2 to the 4 but I'll think I'll wait another year for 3D Touch to be implemented into it.

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Simply by recognizing your fingerprint on the screen. Maybe they dedicate the bottom area where the home button is now so it wakes and reads.

13. Electrics macrumors member

What do you do?

14. dojoman macrumors 65816

You press hard on the left edge of the screen and it will trigger background task.

15. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

16. redman042 macrumors 68020

Possibly, but one of the good things about the current system is that it's highly secure because it's a system that's completely isolated from the OS.

17. Electrics macrumors member

I can't get this to work. Where on the left edge?

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm not really feeling 3D Touch. It seems like a faff and the inconsistency in trying to get it to work is costing me time rather than saving it. Maybe there's a learning curve but I can't say that I'm bothered to persevere.

19. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I don't like 3D Touch. They better had implemented a long touch.

Pressing hard on a screen us idiotic. We have a touch screen and have to press hard. I cannot understand why people are liking this?

I hate it.

20. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I would like to see two finger touch as an alternative to tasks....the edge hard swipe is problematic with cases.

21. Electrics macrumors member

I agree. From what I have seen, it's not something I would use often. There may be one or two things that can be done with 3D Touch that I don't know about but will end up using. But for now it's just a gimmick to me.

On the flip side, I am really loving the Slide Over view on my iPad Mini 2 as well as that new way to move the cursor by pressing on the keyboard.

22. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

They already did that serval years ago and called it Air View.

Also Nokia patented 3D Touch years ago.

23. lancastor macrumors 6502a

What is so bad on a "long touch"???

I can't see any reason for pressing hard on a screen. It feels so unnatural to press hard on a LCD screen.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I like the idea of force touch, but the way it is implemented right now is not really useful for me. It is nice for adding reminders, calendar events, and contacts. With messages, I am either going to read the message based on what I see already or I'm not. It really needs to clear out the notification when I activate peek. With emails it is the same thing. I am either going to read the email or just straight up delete it. Peeking does not really save that much time.

My biggest complaint is it needs to clear out the notification. If I "peek" into a message, I have actually read it. Why peek when you still have to "pop" to make the notification go away.