Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I guess it's not the most essential feature, but I find it useful enough that it's (one of the things) making the choice between the 6S and the SE much harder for me.

I use it most for switching apps and trackpad, which I find much better than the magnifying glass method. I've never loved covering up the screen to scroll to something. I've gotten pretty good with the trackpad now.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I mostly use it in the Nintype keyboard. I have it customized for both long press and 3D/force touch. Having both is great because the long press is for text shortcuts, the 3D touch is for copying/pasting, markdown, numbers, and other things you otherwise have to switch to the other keyboard for. I've started using DuckDuckGo more and love it for the "Bang" feature that automatically takes you to Amazon or whatever and does a search there.

The home screen shortcuts are nice too. It's also nice to peek/pop drag up and delete, mostly in apps that otherwise make you press multiple things.

Chronicle shows previews of upcoming bills. You'd think email and calendar apps would do something similar.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I like the feature, but it does seem like a gimmick right now. I would like to see how they improve it in the coming generations. For now, I'm testing an iPhone SE, and I don't miss it much. I only used it regularly for 3 apps on the home screen and the trackpad.

To be frank, I said the same about Touch ID when it debuted in the 5S. However, with third party app access, and Apple Pay, it has become more functional and less gimmicky. I'm hoping for the same future for 3D Touch.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I never use it on my 6S, other than the first day playing with it. Why? Because it's not part of the normal UI yet. When I use other devices like iPad, Android, Windows, etc, there are no 3D Touch. Compare that to multi touch like pinch and zoom where it became "standard" part of touch UI.

Humans are creatures of habit. I don't see myself utilizing it unless it becomes the normal way of interacting with all touch UI.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I never use it on my 6S, other than the first day playing with it. Why? Because it's not part of the normal UI yet. When I use other devices like iPad, Android, Windows, etc, there are no 3D Touch. Compare that to multi touch like pinch and zoom where it became "standard" part of touch UI.

Yeah - That's a huge part of the issue, I agree...

Which also sadly will continue for the foreseeable future with not including it on the SE and it still not existing on any of the iPads. It's really hard for developers to go all in on technology that isn't standard across the line.

Just imagine if only certain devices had "a camera" as an example.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm constantly using it for app switcher. Number one thing I use it for and actually missnitnwheb I pick up my android phone.

I also use it for hilighting text and dropping the cursor in a specific if it spot, though much more sparingly.

Recently discovered the target cartwheels app has a shortcut to the scanning tool which actually is rather convenient but it's the only useful shortcut I've found.

I think as apps go along shortcuts csn be made more powerful. Some apps currently shortcuts are static. Some are dynamic but I think kits there is no user editing. By this I mean it picks for you what you use the most but you can't just set it to whatever you want. If I had the option to select 3d touch an app and have my own custom shortcuts come up that would be a boon to the feature, at least for me.

All in all I love it far more than I thought it would. I was a skeptic. Now I'm almost to the point where I couldn't live without it despite there being room to improve.

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
I never use it, it goes against the old iOS where nothing was hidden in the UI. Nothing required right click or menu keys like Android did. Also the right click menu is not consistent or predictable at all so it's slower than just using the app how it was originally intended. Finally even at the lightest setting you still have to press hard and I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I use peek and pop in safari and I always use 3D Touch for Shazam. Otherwise I don't really use it all that often with other apps. I tend to forget.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I use the app switcher a little, but often it's quicker just to double tap the home button.

The keyboard trackpad cursor thing is good, but unreliable, so I rarely bother to try it anymore.

"Peek and Pop" is completely useless in Safari, Mail, etc...as it's quicker to just open the link/email/message as normal then choose "Back" once you've read it. I really don't understand why people use this. It's a decent function for photos though.

The app shortcuts are the most pointless out of everything. So unintuitive.

Overall, I think 3D touch has a lot of potential, it's just been poorly implemented.

My suggested improvements/features:

- App Shortcuts. Instead of having random things that only some people would use, how about have them be generated dynamically. E.G. In Safari, I would rather it show a list of say, the last 3-4 tabs I navigated to, plus a New Tab button, instead of things like Reading List that I never use. However, if Reading List is a frequently used function for other users, it should be intuitive enough to display it as a shortcut. Same goes for contacts, messages, settings, etc..

- App switcher. Instead of an awkward press that only works in a precise spot on one side of the phone, have a deep press anywhere on the screen (When not on the home screen) to toggle the app switcher. Or even a deep press combined with a gesture, like a deep press + swipe up like the iPad.

- Keyboard Cursor selector. First, make it work all the time. Not 1/6 times as it does currently. Secondly, adjust it so once activated, you can use two fingers to select text, or one finger to just move the cursor around.

- A deep press (or two) on selected text copies it to clipboard.

- A deep press on the battery toggle Low Power Mode (while on the home screen).

- A deep press on the cellular logo toggles Airplane Mode (while on the home screen).

- A deep press on a song in the music app, adds it to Up Next.

- A deep press on cover art toggle the artist view in the Music App.

There are so many ideas to make 3D Touch better/great, I could go on all day.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
I can honestly say I don't use and forget its there most of the time, I don't think it really make things any faster!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Use it several times a day. Usually to launch quick actions from apps (like quickly messaging a friend from telegram). I have also gotten fairly decent at using the trackpad to highlight text. Nothing indispensable yet, but it shows promise.

Reactions: ladytonya

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I like it, and I use it when I remember it's there. I've been an iOS use since the original iPhone, though, and it's sometimes hard to teach an old dog new tricks...

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
For me personally its just another in a long line of gimmicks apple implements to entice people to update. its just like siri I used that a few times but now find it useless for the most part, same with facetime, used it a few times when it first came out but very little since. Touch ID I think is the only feature that was truly ground breaking for me, it was annoying to keep typing in that passcode to unlock your phone every time. So I think 3D touch will go down as another useless gimmick that a small number of people will use consistently.

Reactions: yep-sure and catean

bransoj

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2013
Use it a lot mainly for quick access from app icons to jump straight to things and take out multiple steps. Also used it for peek and pop etc as well now and then. Do find it very handy but like a lot of things Apple puts in phones it needs app developers to take it on board and start using it for it to really take off.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Regular 3D touch shortcuts on few apps I use frequently
Dropbox (last opened file),
Scanner Pro (immediately scan)
Phone (call favs)
Amazon (Scan a product)
Few more ..
Inapp usages like
Whatsapp peek (not to let a friend know I read the message)
Asphalt (Pressure sensitive steering is much better)​

Not to mention Task manager, safari/mail peeks & flick actions, keyboard trackpad (once you know the trick that the cursor needs to blink for it to work), Call logs 3d touch actions.

I believe its definitely a user's choice to use it or not. But if you try to use it a bit, at least in regularly used apps .. it helps a lot. And if you really get accustomed, you will feel its very much necessary. Still I have hopes that 3D touch will become much better in the long run and do feel that apple should have included it into the iPhone SE too, so that it becomes more common like the touchid is currently.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I use it frequently to move the cursor around (love that feature) and a fair bit to view live photos (although apparently that works in the SE with a long press). I rarely use the peek and pop feature and the quick actions seem useful, but I usually forget about them. Honestly the only thing I would miss on a phone without it is moving the cursor around. I live without it on my iPad which I use as much or more than my iPhone. I think it will probably become more useful when more Apple products incorporate it at which point app developers will have more incentive to add 3D Touch functionality to their apps.

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
You just peek at them using 3D Touch on the messages list.

I'm a little disappointed with 3D Touch. I was hoping more apps would take advantage of it. I think in the future Apple will build it deeper into iOS. But will developers? I've seen mockups such as the one where you could customize control center by 3D Touching on it. I could see it being used more to customize things in the future, much like it's used on the Apple Watch to customize the watch face?

My favorite feature is using the keyboard as a touchpad for the cursor selection. It's just kinda finicky sometimes, like when you let up your finger it will jump over a character or two. I don't use the multitasking gesture because it was kinda difficult to activate at first. They've made it easier with software updates but I still haven't taken up using it very often. I need to force myself to do it because I think that could be really useful. I hope they add 3D Touch for Today View and Notification Center. It's kinda ridiculous that you can't peek at notifications like email from there. I also wish that widgets in Today View were 3D Touch capable. For instance, my Fantastical calendar would be great if I could 3D Touch on an appointment and get more details quickly without having to open the app. I think there are other possibilities as well, such as 3D Touch swipe from the right edge of the display (so opposite of the multitasking gesture) to open a customizable area, kinda like what is to the left of the home screen but better like Google Now.

Very good point. I think that was my biggest issue with it. It didn't actually increase productivity. For example, the messages app could allow a "peek" into the most recent message/messages. Basically a window into the actual message app main screen. When I am in the app, what good is peeking into a message when I can easily click and swipe in and out of it. It just seemed like the choice for actions was not well thought out.

Therefore there is much less incentive for devs to do anything but add a few things as an after thought.[/QUOTE]

I use the app switcher a little, but often it's quicker just to double tap the home button.

The keyboard trackpad cursor thing is good, but unreliable, so I rarely bother to try it anymore.

"Peek and Pop" is completely useless in Safari, Mail, etc...as it's quicker to just open the link/email/message as normal then choose "Back" once you've read it. I really don't understand why people use this. It's a decent function for photos though.

The app shortcuts are the most pointless out of everything. So unintuitive.

Overall, I think 3D touch has a lot of potential, it's just been poorly implemented.

My suggested improvements/features:

- App Shortcuts. Instead of having random things that only some people would use, how about have them be generated dynamically. E.G. In Safari, I would rather it show a list of say, the last 3-4 tabs I navigated to, plus a New Tab button, instead of things like Reading List that I never use. However, if Reading List is a frequently used function for other users, it should be intuitive enough to display it as a shortcut. Same goes for contacts, messages, settings, etc..

- App switcher. Instead of an awkward press that only works in a precise spot on one side of the phone, have a deep press anywhere on the screen (When not on the home screen) to toggle the app switcher. Or even a deep press combined with a gesture, like a deep press + swipe up like the iPad.

- Keyboard Cursor selector. First, make it work all the time. Not 1/6 times as it does currently. Secondly, adjust it so once activated, you can use two fingers to select text, or one finger to just move the cursor around.

- A deep press (or two) on selected text copies it to clipboard.

- A deep press on the battery toggle Low Power Mode (while on the home screen).

- A deep press on the cellular logo toggles Airplane Mode (while on the home screen).

- A deep press on a song in the music app, adds it to Up Next.

- A deep press on cover art toggle the artist view in the Music App.

There are so many ideas to make 3D Touch better/great, I could go on all day.

I really agree with you guys in a lot of points.

I really do believe that 3D touch has a big potential, however I think that the idea was maybe not really overthought and currently apps are not really being developed for this (because there is at the moment only one generation where it works).

I do not own a Macbook with Force Touch so I cannot really speak from experience regarding the use of this feature.

However, I am sure that they should change the usage/functionality of this feature. Being able to perform a 3D Touch by quick viewing with a little window without entering an app would be great (quick check weather status, message, calender preview, quick photo, etc.). I was never using jailbreak before, but from the videos I saw I think that it would be great to enhance this feature such as:
min 3:40 as some examples. Even though you can easily enter the app and do your actions. And i am not a jailbreak fan at all because I never used it before, but having a makeover of the ios in a really new way of using it with 3D touch would be really great. Don't get me wrong guys by talking right now about jailbreak, it was just to give an example about the features I saw on this video which i like for example. It's of course perfectly doable by entering an app or setting and do it.

Reactions: macduke

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Honestly, I was excited about it when reading about it and whatnot. But after leaving it on for a week or so, I discovered it was absolutely useless to me and shut it off. Found nothing special about it that helped me through every day tasks

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
That is actually sth that I am facing at the moment since I bought my iPhone6s one week ago. Nevertheless I was really interested to see and gather information about your experience. We will see what the next iPhone brings with it or other new features, or the developers maybe will use some tweaks and implement them

ericv

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2015
I am not a big fan. Ever since it has come out I've had a lot of trouble tapping on links in Safari. I tend to have to tap 3 or 4 times before it actually realizes I want to navigate.

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.