3D Wow! When

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoeconner, Jul 1, 2011.

1. zoeconner macrumors regular

Do you think its in the near future? What Iphone? I just seen a phone with 3D and it looked pretty cool.

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I personally don't want it. 3D gives me a headache after a while.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

4. TooSmooth macrumors member

You should get that phone. If it was indeed the evo 3d

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

6. zoeconner thread starter macrumors regular

I will always have an iphone. It would be cool if it had a adjustment for it like the new DS 3D.

7. pyro008 macrumors 6502

No. It'll die soon enough. Its a gimmick and a way to make TVs and crap cost more.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Simply put, If the iPhone had a 3D screen, it would be time for me to look elsewhere for a phone.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

God. I played the DS 3D and it messed with my eyes and I left the store with a headache...it was really bad :(

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Couldn't agree more.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I’m going to subscribe to this thread, so that when the iPhone gets 3D and everyone is saying how great it is, I can link to here. :D:rolleyes:

12. Orion126 macrumors regular

Meh to 3D. I'm not that big a fan of it...never have been.

I just want a bigger screen, better camera, and faster processor.

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

It would need to have
    -Half resolution
    -Thicker
    -Bigger battery

OR

-Twice processing power
    -Twice battery
    -Thicker

Glasses free 3D works by a parallax barrier sandwiched between 2 lcds which render the same image twice. It would also have to be thicker because the stacked LCDs require twice as much backlighting

14. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I think the iPhone will be able to cook you breakfast before Apple will implement 3D into it. 3D a stupid gimmick that will fade away very soon. We need to keep 3D content where it belongs, in movies.

15. shandyman Suspended

ugh 3D is a stupid gimmick that hopefully goes away soon, the sooner James Cameron gives up on it the better.

3D is ruining my cinema experience, as my local cinema does 1 2D showing a day of a film as the last showing of the day, the gits.

16. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

I bought a fancy big screen for 3D Blu-Ray and have usedit like 3 x in 3D...bah.

17. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

3D is meant to create a window into a seemingly 3-dimensional virtual world. ... who needs a 3,5" window? :/

i AM intrigued by head-tracking though. i'd much rather have that properly implemented than some glasses-free 3D headache machine

18. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

3D is great for movies and games on the 3DS. But not for phones.

19. rick98761 macrumors 6502

What's with all the 3rd hostility? If done tastefully and not thrown in your face everywhere it does have some real uses. I think we can trust apple would leave it adjustable and not put it everywhere just for the sake of it being 3d. It barley costs any money to make a screen 3rd anymore.

20. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

There's no hostility. Nobody has been hostile.

3D is, in fact, a gimmick. It (sort of) makes sense on a DS that's built entirely for games. However, on an iPhone, it's silly. A 3D calendar? 3D caller ID? That's just /facepalm worthy.

Leave 3D to overpriced televisions (that aren't catching on, mind you) and the 3DS. Keep it away from iPhones where it doesn't belong.

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Not even there

22. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Well the televisions are catching on...because you can't find a new TV without 3d. Its just that the usage isn't. I don't understand why they're trying to force this so hard. The average person who actually likes the idea of 3D is not even going to watch many movies in it. Its a novelty that is cool at first (to some) but wears off quickly.

23. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

In reply to everyone that says 3D is just a gimmick:
    Do you really think that screens are going to stay 2D forever. To allow future innovation screen technology needs to advance not just in pixels or color range but in depth and "wow factor". 3D is the future, perhaps not in screens we know today but in holographic screens and the like.

24. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

If they move the iPhone to a 3D model, I'd be objective about it before I'd look elsewhere. But mostly, I don't need that on a simple phone. Life is 3D enough already. Next they'll want books to be 3D so it has that "cool" look to the text.

As for the TVs going 3D. Mainly this is because there isn't any new technology for televisions to push. Its been the same for a long time basically. They've come out with plasma, then LCD, and now LED. But then nothing. So in order to sell more, they'll make them all 3D and tell you that you have to get a new set if you want this feature. Thus, profit.

But even in Japan, the people are massively shunning this move to 3D. I see this as a "betamax" type of fad. It'll stay around for awhile as the manufacturers push it, but then they'll see its a lost cause and pull back.
    All the advertising you see in movies and on TVs is just that, advertising to separate you from your cash.

25. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

The TVs aren't catching on as much as you'd think. I read an article a couple days ago that stated just as much - I'll try to find it if I can. Manufacturers are producing 3D TVs, but people just aren't buying.

Why?

... because it's a gimmick, and expensive at that. You nailed it that the novelty wears off very quickly. The glasses are obnoxious and uncomfortable, and they just don't fit or work for people who already wear corrective glasses.