Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
You're aware that you don't own the game, right? You own a license to play that game on that hardware (bonus if Nintendo includes backwards compatibility, you get to run that software on an additional line of hardware). It even states this in every manual that comes with the game.

Lots of confusion over ownership.

If I saw Star Wars episode 4 in it's opening week at the cinema, does that grant me a license to download a 1080p bluray rip from a torrent site?

Gee, I wonder why?

Going by whatever whacked laws and rules and regulations you think you need to adhere to, you're basically buying nothing but a useless collection of plastic and silicon when you buy a 3DS. The only rights you have to that device are:

1) The right to destroy it however you see fit
2) The right to use that device within whatever narrow confines the EULA presents

You can't modify the hardware, because everything is encrypted and protected. You can't modify the software for the same reason, since reverse engineering things is also illegal. You can use the device "as intended" (read: only for long enough until it becomes unprofitable for you to continue using that particular generation of device), or basically throw it out the window or drive over it with a car.

Fortunately, I live somewhere where EULAs are unenforceable in court, and the government tries their best to not perpetually **** all over their citizens rights. Maybe you live somewhere where the concept of "ownership" no longer exists (except for the government owning you, perhaps)- but I don't.

So once again, I really don't care. Neither do the emulator writers, a large majority of whom do not live in the USA. You can re-iterate how crazy your laws are within your own country to me as many times as you want. It doesn't apply to me and I don't care, and quite frankly I'm glad a lot of other people don't.

I'm not saying piracy is good, you should buy things you enjoy (because that means you'll get more things to enjoy in the future from the same folks). I'm saying that bat-**** crazy stuff like EULAs and TOS's are, well, bat-**** crazy.

-SC

Reactions: ecommerceedward

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What needs to be kept in mind here is that 3DS games are still being manufactured and sold RIGHT NOW.

If you are downloading ROMs for 3DS games, you are engaged in piracy. And you are considered as doing so for as long as those games and system are being made.

No, emulation is not illegal. Without it, things would have just got lost in history, and games would be limited to greedy collectors.

And for the MOST part, either is downloading a ROM from a system up to the sixth generation, minus the PlayStation 2 and original Xbox.

Nintendo are well aware that you're not going to spend $5 to play a game from the early 90s, especially when it costs over $100 to get a system to play it. But for those that do have a Wii or 3DS, they'll gladly take the money to do so. So will other companies, hence the Virtual Console store.

Sega has taken it a step forward and is remastering all the Sonic titles and has some of their catalog on Steam.

However, since most of this stuff is legacy backups, they aren't really losing any money. Pirating the versions found on the eShop, iTunes, Steam, etc, that's another story.

BTW - The Internet Archive just opened The Console Living Room with stuff for the Atari consoles, ColecoVision, Magnavox Odyssey², and Astrocade. Some of it is downloadable.

https://archive.org/details/consolelivingroom

Oh, as for the rights for using your console... You can do whatever you want to it, but modifying it voids your warranty. Why? Because it's not fair for a company to have to fix a problem that was caused by YOU the consumer.

The laws are there to protect everyone.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not saying piracy is good, you should buy things you enjoy (because that means you'll get more things to enjoy in the future from the same folks). I'm saying that bat-**** crazy stuff like EULAs and TOS's are, well, bat-**** crazy.

-SC
They can be, but why didn't you answer my film question?

You watch a film in a cinema years ago, does that grant you the ownership right to download bluray rips?

It's a very interesting question. Recently the Macrumors writers put up an article about a modern emulator, but they'd never in a million years write a front-page article about an app that made video "piracy" so easy.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
They can be, but why didn't you answer my film question?

You watch a film in a cinema years ago, does that grant you the ownership right to download bluray rips?

It's a very interesting question. Recently the Macrumors writers put up an article about a modern emulator, but they'd never in a million years write a front-page article about an app that made video "piracy" so easy.

No.

You are paying for the experience to see a film once. You saw the film. Your purchase order has been fulfilled in full.

You buy a movie on Bluray. Let's say Bluray players get discontinued entirely and you can't find them anymore. I would say I am entitled to download the equivalent 1080P Bluray rip of my movies. I would not be entitled to download anything better then that (especially if they're selling 4K versions or whatever on whatever format they invent in the future).

-SC

masaki88

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
Yes guys 3ds emulator is real. Its call citra and he can already run many games but without sound (by now). I create two video guides about this emulator to help people run games.

How to decrypt games and run on citra

How to run pokemon x.

CJ_Yosemite

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
Victoria, Australia
If there is one for PC you can always use Wine or Parallels,etc to run it.
There is Citra, which works pretty good, and there are plenty of tutorials for it on YouTube, on the other hand, if you dont want to go down the 'Hacked' games path, you can modify your 3ds to be able to connect to your computer/mac screen through usb, though, you still need the modified 3ds, and cable

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
There is Citra, which works pretty good, and there are plenty of tutorials for it on YouTube, on the other hand, if you dont want to go down the 'Hacked' games path, you can modify your 3ds to be able to connect to your computer/mac screen through usb, though, you still need the modified 3ds, and cable
you are replying to a thread/posts of 2013

CJ_Yosemite

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
Victoria, Australia
Well I've searched a lot, haven't found a whole lot. So I was pretty much wondering if anybody actually had a 3ds emulator that worked. Thanks for helping.
Try Citra. It is hard to install, but I there are instructions here

https://citra-emu.org/wiki/Home

Then click the building instructions for the OS you're using.

I'm using a Mac, but I sure the building Instructions are similar through out the Operating Softwares.

aimanraz

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
hye im trying to play the CITRA in my macbook mid 2012.

what does this mean ?

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 8.50.33 AM.png

Reactions: DennisBlah

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've had that problem too. There's a really simple solution, I've heard it work great for other people too and best of all runs all 3DS software perfectly http://www.emulatorworld.com/3DS

I am thanking you for the first civil reply in this thread as I noticed it’s age. ;)

You can easily download nintando 3ds emulator for PC with our guide.

Does that include a ROM source, if I have the term right? I have a hankering to play Super Mario Karts (1992).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.