Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
HEy guys,

I'm traveling to the US next week and I was wondering which is the best way to have a 3G(or 4G) hotspot. I'd like to be connected everywhere and everytime there's no wifi. I will stay just a month, so long contracts would not work.

I have a Galaxy SII factory unlocked, Can I use it with, for example, an AT&T simcard and create a WiFi hotspot?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
You could use your GS2 if you root it and the root bypasses AT&T's way.

I'd try a Verizon MiFi though. Those get really good speeds (25mbps download, consistently, as long as you're in an LTE market).

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
You could use your GS2 if you root it and the root bypasses AT&T's way.

I'd try a Verizon MiFi though. Those get really good speeds (25mbps download, consistently, as long as you're in an LTE market).

Root is the only way to tether? I have an option in the menu to create a Hotspot.

That Verizon MiFi sounds interesting.. Is there any way to get it for just a month?

I'd do virgin mobile. It's month to month.

What's "month to month"?

I will stay a month, so contracts would not work.

I read something about a $2 AT&T + 3G data.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
That Verizon MiFi sounds interesting.. Is there any way to get it for just a month?

No, there is not. Verizon is nuts about running credit checks and getting address information - even if you're paying up front.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
Root is the only way to tether? I have an option in the menu to create a Hotspot.

What's "month to month"?

I will stay a month, so contracts would not work.

I read something about a $2 AT&T + 3G data.

Month to month means no contract so you could use it for just a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.