3G AddOn for 1st iPhone? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShiggyMiyamoto, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Would it possible for a 3G add-on to be manufactured for the 1st iPhone? I mean, the OS knows to look for the 3G chipset, so how hard would it be to make a dock-connector 3G accessory? Battery could be saved by not having the device attached.

I think it could work. What do you all think?

2. stevin macrumors regular

Edit: I don't think think so... It would probably be very complicated!

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that it would be, realistically, impossible. Whilst the iPhone 3G firmware knows how to work with one specific 3G chipset it expects it to be connected in a very particular way. It will not look for it on the Dock connector. So custom drivers would be required which are not permitted under the SDK agreement.

Coupled with the limited market I don't see anyone even trying.

4. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

That wasn't the initial answer I was expecting, but ok. It was a legitimate question/thought. Your attitude with the post isn't appreciated. No question is stupid. You ask questions to learn, right?

Okay, well what if Apple endorses it somehow?

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It would be so difficult to do, that it would probably be nearly impossible to do, if it were possible to be made. And on top of that, it would just be cheaper in means of development and work just for people to buy the iPhone 3G.

There is no need to be rude like that, the original poster already stated that they did not have all that much knowledge on the subject, and this is still something that may be possible, even though not practical.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ya, disregard that guy.

The only way it could happen would be as a separate item. It's not going to be built in.

As a separate item, you could theoretically have a device that is a 3G connection and shares to Wifi. The iPhone could then hop on that wifi.

Something like this
    http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2124/63/

but, you might as well just get a new iPhone

arn

7. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Hmmm Okay. I thought it'd be interesting if Apple/AT&T as well could gain customers to 3G on the iPhone with a simple accessory as mentioned theoretically in my thread here. I'd be willing to pay the additional $30 for the higher data plan charges...

Arn, I got the email notification that you posted after I posted. Yeah that idea you posted is interesting, but sorta bulky. I'd gladly get a new 3G iPhone, but I have no job. Sooo.. hence my thread.

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I think that Apple and AT&T would probably want people to just get the iPhone 3G, main reasons being that it is another sale, a renewed contract, and from Apple's perspective, it would be much simpler (which is Apple's way of doing things) as an all-in-one device rather than having multiple pieces.

EDIT: Could you please fix your signature, it is longer than the allowed 5 lines and it is suggested that when giving the specs of a device to list them all on one line (separated by commas) rather than giving each spec it's own line.

9. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

JML, another awesome point. The purpose of this thread was just me being bored and curious. I just started to play with SimplifyMedia and I was hoping there was a simple way of adding on 3G to my 1st gen iPhone (and only have to pay the $10 hike for the 3G data plan).

Edit: Arn doesn't seem to have a problem with my sig...

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then it my be possible, but very unlikely still. It would probably require the drivers to be built into the firmware (not really a problem if Apple are endorsing, or more likely making it). But the real problem I see would be size. It would probably require it's own battery as I'm not convinced it could draw enough power over the Dock connector. It would definitely require it's own antenna: 3G requires different ones to 2G. So the device would be quite large and probably quite expensive.

The other option is one like Arn posted: even bigger with it's own SIM (so it's own contract)...

11. GNice macrumors 6502

This response is the only thing stupid!

12. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

LMAO. Thank you.

Yeah. I was just brainstorming and that dude had to go all emo. Wow.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Boriscell, a company in Russia, has already released a 3G add on for the 1st gen iPhone. It's called 3Gipyat.

Attached Files:

• 3g.PNG
      3g.PNG
      File size:
      216.2 KB
      Views:
  14. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

LOL

15. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Does it come in white?

16. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

HAHAHAHAAHHAHA.

EDIT: To whoever edited my sig, thank you. It looks good.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dude, I just got one on the "Black Market" now I just have to figure how I'm going to get it through Customs... LOL :D

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

it comes in any color as long as it's blat. uh, black.

they also just updated the fyrmvare to 2.0.1. Just send them a self addressed stamped envelope for the 6 floppies.

19. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Wow, my thread has derailed quickly. lol.

20. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You'd have an easier time fitting a V8 into a Mini Cooper...

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

it wasn't really going anywhere anyhow.

Attached Files:

22. stevin macrumors regular

Hey sorry.. I guess I used way to harsh a word... As I walked away from my computer I decided I should have used the word silly instead.. It was a legitimate question, and I should have taken the list why I thought it wouldn't be a possibility.

Again, sorry!

23. stevin macrumors regular