3G+ Apple Lossless+ Grado Sounds Pretty Good

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by archesdevil, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Anyone else with this set up or similar agree?

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Holy cow. I can only imagine the audio goodness that you are enjoying.

3. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Lows sound a little muddy but otherwise pretty crisp.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Has to be the iPhone with the muddy lows. I can't imagine it being the lossless, much less the Grado headphones.

5. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Without a doubt but, I have to say I am surprised, it sounds pretty good.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Haha, I do think lossless on an iPhone is overkill, even the headphones are overkill for an iPhone. Haha.

7. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Lossless, Grado and UE are all I got. I'm playin' with the iPhone.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Grado at home, UE at school/work.

That's awesome.

9. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

whats UE? which Grado headphones are you using and how do you think they compare to Audio Technicas?

11. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

UE = Ultimate Ears. They are my favorite IEM's. I currently have Grado SR60. I am considering trying different Grados. I have not used Audio Technicas. What do you think of them?

12. frankiepdx macrumors regular

frankiepdx

Last time I looked, the Grado headphones were using a pretty thick cord. That was the only reason I didn't buy them. Is this still the case?

13. Tosser macrumors 68030

Grados? What do you mean? Are we talking "iGrado" (I kid not, that's the name of them) SR60, RS1, GS1000, or PS1s?

Anyway, I like Grados topmodels. I have the RS1s and the PS1s. No effing iPhone, though.

Edit: Oh, I see it's the SR60s. Pretty good for the price. And they're tenfold better than the "in-the-case" headphones.

14. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Looking at what he posted, I assume he is referring to his Grado SR60s.

EDIT: Nevermind. :p

15. Tosser macrumors 68030

Yeah, I figured that one out ;)

16. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Just listened to Jimi Hendrix, Blues, Born under a Bad Sign. Using same config. Amazing, no distortion on the lows whatsoever. The 3G has a pretty good audio chip if you ask me.

17. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Rage Against the Machine has some distortion.... Listening to Jazz next.

18. Tosser macrumors 68030

Frankly, you lost all credibility when you wrote this (my emphasis in bold):

Considering you're using the SR60's, that's more than a bold statement. Even bolder than the "pretty good audio chip" statement …

Do you realise that a headphone amp is more than a chip? That there's a much more important analogue stage to it as well (because chips are chips more or less)?

19. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I do but, most people refer to it as an audio chip.

If you don't like the thread, your free to leave.

I personally am amazed by the audio output of the 3G. It is better than any Apple product I've heard.

Very sorry for the typo, it is past 1 here and I've been drinkin'.... if no one else cares about the audio of the 3G, I implore the mods to end this thread.

20. Tosser macrumors 68030

No they don't. Only people who have no idea do that.

You must be kidding. So because one doesn't agree with your bold statements you ask them to shut up and leave? :rolleyes:

Propably, but Apple isn't even close to making products with great audio, and certainly not products with "no distortion". There's a world outside of Apple's product line-up.
    Besides, you have to remember that your bold statements are based on you listening with the SR60s. What will your statement be when you listen to something with, say, the HD25-1s, the PS1s, or if you tried out a Non-apple DAP, or – the horror - a proper stationary set up?

Btw, all this is even worse if you don't mean the third gen iPod, but rather the iPhone 3G.

21. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Oh, I yield the floor to ye, oh great tosser.

22. Tosser macrumors 68030

Ah, great. Yet another person who can't stand to have his unfounded claims countered. :rolleyes:

23. archesdevil thread starter macrumors 6502

archesdevil

If you want to talk about audiophilia, I am game. The truth is, audiophiles rarely agree. Most people think their set up is the best and, there are thousands of people ready to knock them down. All I was saying is the 3G sounds good with a Lossless source and good cans. I have not tested with other phones. I am not hoping to get published in some audio magazine or have thousands of people read my thread. I am simply surprised that the 3G sounds good.

If you know of another device that allows you to make calls, read email, check weather, sports, stocks, text, web-surf, and also has passible audio out-put, please let me know.

24. Tosser macrumors 68030

Yes, audiophiles tend to disagree. Audiophiles also think their silver signal cables sound different from copper ditto.

Well, as luck would have it, I'm not an audiophile, I "just" work with audio. I don't care about colouring sound. I want my audio to be as little coloured as possible. And that is where your statement of "no distortion whatsoever" really is horrendously out of touch with reality.
    The "No distortion" claim is far from being merely something where opinions may vary. No, distortion can be measured, and for good reason. It has nothing to do with audiophilia, but more to do with facts, and in this case, ignorance.

Yes, and I hope you enjoy it.
    The thing is, there's a long way from you enjoying what you have to you making the bold statements you seem to enjoy as much as listening.

I'm sorry, but what the phone does besides play audio, does NOT make the phone sound any better. On the contrary, one might argue.
    In fact, if you're really set on semi good audio in combination with a phone, you should try, say, a Sony Ericsson or the B&O Serenata. They're much better. For a phone, that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.