3G back still have crack issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdinca, Jun 8, 2009.

1. cdinca macrumors 6502

Since the new phone seems to be the same material as the 3G, I am curious if Apple ever addressed the case cracking issue by changing materials, or did everyone just learn to live with it? Never got a 3G partly because of this.

2. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to take a class on "writing a thread people will respond to".

3. bjquach macrumors 6502

I forget but there's this new plastic material that Apple is giving a special scientific name to. Supposed to reduce fingerprints or something.

4. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the thing you are talking about, but I only saw it mentioned in reference to the screen.

Thanks for the reply:)

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Good question. I got my 3G last August, and I just finally had a crack appear in the past month. I'm very gentle with it.

Does Apple still replace them for this reason or not?

6. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if iPhones manufactured later, like this year, also suffer from the same issue. I am used to being able to be a little rough with my V1...never had a case since iDay...I don't want cracks.

7. chox99 macrumors regular

I'm very interested in this as well. One of the main reason I don't upgrade is I'm afraid it might crack.

8. Shabbis macrumors regular

It's called "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating" by Apple. Sounds like only a coating, not new plastic.

9. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I've had mine since July 11th. I had it in an iSkin case for about 2 months. Then got the Zagg invisibleSHIELD. The phone is in my pocket all day long, bangs against my desk at work, sometimes lightly against the car door.

I have not had a single crack issue with mine.

10. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting...I was under the impression(obviously incorrectly) that every 3G had at least some cracks under close inspection.

11. Untaken macrumors member

He probably isn't anal enough to see them. Seriously, I'm not trying to be rude, but I've known many other iPhone owners who were shocked when I told them of the cracking issue, then were like "Thank God my iPhone hasn't cracked!". Then sure enough, one look at it from me and there they all in all their @#$%ing @#$%ty glory. Of course, then those people hate me for pointing them out cause then they can't stop noticing them. :D

12. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

No.

:rolleyes: Thanks for telling me about myself.

It's silly to assume every iPhone has cracks when it is physically impossible to have inspected every phone. Some do, some don't. Usually the people that complain are the ones that have the problems. I've never complained, because I have no cracks in mine. I remember the threads and the articles about cracks in the iPhones. I followed it very closely, because I was worried. Here it is close to a year later, and it has no cracks.

13. Untaken macrumors member

It's not "silly", but you're right, it is physically impossible to have inspected every phone.

I've been through 8 replacements myself (not just due to cracks, but numerous other issues as well), and have talked with many other iPhone owners, most of which were unaware of the cracking issue. Believe it or not, 100% of my iPhones and those of people I've met have had cracking to some extent. Get under a bright fluorescent light with a magnifying glass if you have to but I can pretty much guarantee you have something there that you just haven't noticed.

And even if I'm wrong and you do happen to have one with zero cracks, think about that defect rate for a second. Whether or not you have cracks isn't the issue, the issue is that 99% of people do have cracks.

14. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

My condolences for your iPhone issues.

Again, however, I don't think you can make claims about many or most users. If you are telling me that you personally spoke to greater than 99% of the iPhone users, I'll take your word on it. But, I know you didn't. So to assume 99% of iPhone's have cracks is, again, silly.

I do admit some users have had problems, and it is an issue with Apple. But to claim even a defect "rate" isn't correct. It's not as if they have a certain lifespan before ultimately cracking or degrading. A rate is a unit per time. If people noticed they had cracks out of the box and still have their iPhone from day one, it should be a pile of dust by now.

In any event, if a crack is so small that one has to take a bright light and magnifying glass to find it, is it worth that much fuss? In my opinion, no.

15. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I had multiple white 3G iPhones and all cracked. I babied my phones and had no scratches on the chrome and very minimal scratching on the backs.

My phones cracked near the ringer toggle, the power button, and also the dock connector. I really hope Apple fixed this for the 3G S.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had my iPhone since december, in an incase slider case and it has not cracked or shown any signs of wear. Its typically in my pocket or on my desk. It really doesn't get banged around so that might be why I don't see any cracks

17. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

When did you get your most recent 3G? Did it crack any less than your first? Did it seem like they had made any changes in the materials?

Thx

18. TPMann GB macrumors member

The crack on the back of my iPhone 3G 16GB (Black) has been slowly getting bigger.

It started near the dock connecter, and is now about 1.5 to 2cm long.

Have people got their phone's replaced because of this?

19. jsgreen macrumors 6502

If your iPhone is still covered by Applecare, they will replace it on the spot at an Apple Store if the case shows the cracking issue. I have replaced 2 white iPhones because of this - with no issue from Apple whatsoever.

Just be sure you properly backup your phone, and sync any applications that allow web-backups, like syncing the ToDo app with the Toodledo web site (or Remember The Milk) to further backup your data.

20. msmyth macrumors member

My last white iphone and my current on have developed cracks, apple happily replaced my first one without fuss.

21. kb152 macrumors member

yes, they'll replace it

Mine developed a crack along the back about two weeks ago. I took it to the apple store last week and the genius barely glanced at it before going to the back to get me a replacement.

22. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

The other bad issue with the cracking is, once 1 year has passed since you bought the iPhone, you won't be able to get it replaced by Apple.

23. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I have the incase slider and no cracks. With this case you barely even notice there isa case on it. I think the phone looks nicer with it on then off.

24. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand that a lot of people like cases, but I have a real problem with a product being designed that requires a case to hold up under its normal and intended use. How do we accept that?

25. John T macrumors 68020

John T

There was a time when I was becoming more and more reluctant to buy an iPhone! This was the result of reading the horror stories (particularly on this forum) of iPhone cases sprouting cracks in all directions! The impression given was that cracked iPhone cases were almost an inevitability.

Thank goodness, as others did, I read the threads that contradicted this rumour and showed that the majority of users had, in fact, not experienced this problem.

However, the fact remains that some cases did crack. So, the question remains why? Why should some cases crack and others remain pristine?

The material "plastic" does not crack on its own! It doesn't "self-destruct"! Therefore the cracks must have been stress fractures. This type of crack is obviously caused by bending, twisting, stretching or some other sort of deformation. To me, it therefore appears obvious that cracks in iPhone cases are the result of handling or rather mishandling.

In order to avoid such problems, it may be prudent to take particular care in inserting and removing headphone and docking plugs, avoiding wiggling them when doing so. Or even Apple could give some thought to thickening/strengthening the material around the "danger areas...

Just a few thoughts! :)