3G Car Charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Cnasty, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

What is the best charger out there for the iPhone?

I dont need one to play the music off the iPhone,just to charge. This will be my first iPhone so I am looking for this to be an important accessory with the GPS draining the battery life.

2. chrisjonny macrumors member

chrisjonny

just a usb car charger or ipod charger will work

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use one from Griffin for my iPhone. They no longer sell the one I use, but it works great.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

This is not true. I'm currently using the Belkin car charger. Worked with my original iPhone and any other iPod i've used. It also has an aux-out port that I connect to my head unit for sound.

I just plugged in my iPhone 3G today and while the audio output still works, a message comes up on my iphone that says charging is not supported with this accessory. So make sure it works with an iPhone 3G before you buy it!

Does anyone know of a good car charger with an aux out port that has been confirmed to work with the iphone 3g?

5. BackFocus macrumors member

Attached Files:

6. Meyvn macrumors 6502

For my car, I have to get slim, deep cigarette adapters. The jack has seen better days, so some won't work. That in mind, I got Griffin's newer model (the black one).

7. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I have an iPod lineout/USB (two cables merge into one iPod dock connector), and the USB part works fine, but the line out doesn't. I think they may have killed the line out pins on this thing. Maybe they just switched them, but I don't know why they'd do that.

8. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Thanks for the replies guys.

Still havent settled on one that I want as of yet. Ill keep doing some research as I have a Dodge Ram and the power supply is real low to hook up so some are to messy. I like a clean look. :D

9. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

10. streddy macrumors newbie

I've got this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-FM-Trans...oryZ6775QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I totally rate it. The best bit is the fact that the goose neck extends the holder out of the cigarette lighter and puts the iphone right next to the steering wheel. The FM transmitter is great too with lots of presets and the ability to set it to an exact frequency. Works great to use with the gps as well. My friends were blown away by it, managed to get rid of my in car gps!

11. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Does the Kensington LiquidAUX for iPod and iPhone work with the iPhone 3G?

It charges the iPhone and provides aux output. It also has a remote control to change tracks and play/pause.

Anyone have this product and can test it with the iPhone 3G?

12. devvoid macrumors member

That's the one I was looking at, the Apple store was all out of them yesterday though :( Heading back today to see if they have any more.

I too was using the Belkin charger for my ipod and got the same accessory not supported message when plugging it in. Too bad, I really liked that charger :(

13. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Ditto.

14. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

That Griffin one looks perfect for what I am looking for.

Nothing bulky, just to keep in my truck and stash away when not in use.

Great info.

15. RocketJohn macrumors newbie

The DLO they sell at BestBuy for the iphone, works... i have two...

16. cpm30 macrumors newbie

Hardware or Software Based.

I also have a JVC Headunit with iPod Adapter. I was curious to see if the fact that it isn't charging a hardware issue, or something they could fix in a software update. Any ideas?

17. sidewalkscenes macrumors newbie

i have a charger that plugs into my car lighter with a usb. i can charge anything with it as long as it has a usb plug. sorry i dont know all the technical terms :p

18. mmaguire macrumors newbie

Blekin works

I just purchased the belkin with the FM transmitter. It works as a tansmitter and a charger. I got the same message, but if you look at the carge indicator, it works just fine.

19. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

my belkin does not charge - you might have a slightly different product. I watched my batter drain, using GPS, as it was plugged into the belkin charger.

20. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

iPhone dock (both first-gen and 3G) has a separate line-out and 15-pin cable out ports.

I think it's the best solution for in-car use (combined with Griffin Powerjolt) - you can charge your iPhone and play music through your car stereo via line-out. Most importantly, you can keep your iPhone standing up right in the dock and keep it from being scratched.

21. smattmul macrumors member

smattmul

Hey, i have bought an IGO charger for my first gen iphone and an attachable tip to go along with it. But the tip model (A61) is not listed on the igo website and when i called igo they said they don't have that product (radio shack sold it to me) and i thought it was genuine. I don't want to test it out till some one confirms it is safe to use on my 3g iphone. Thanks,

22. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Well, I actually found it at the ATT store ( I get a discount on the accessories, but too bad their cases are ugly).

23. nyctravis macrumors regular

My previous Belkin wouldn't work on my new 3G iPhone, so I went to the Apple Store and bought a Griffin PowerDuo. Plugged it in and got the "not supported" message but it seemed to charge ok. Until I tried to use the iPod and strangely, no audio output when the charger is plugged in. As soon I stop charging it'll play. Very odd, and very disappointed as I have a long commute and really want to charge and play music at the same time. Will try the Griffin PowerJolt SE...hope that works.

24. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I got the Griffin Power Jolt at the ATT store--works great.

25. GNice macrumors 6502

My Griffin car charger I bought for my 1st gen iPhone works great with the 3G. :D