3G connection, no Internet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kgeier82, Jun 25, 2010.

1. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

So while my 4 is connected to 3G, it just churns away in safari or speed tests, full bars.

When I connect it to the edge, it works like it should. I can also make phone calls with the 3g on, but not use the internet at all.

Any ideas?

This is without even having the phone in my hand. I dont think this is related to all other issues with reception.

2. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Jailbroken?

If you restored from a jailbroken backup that is likely the case. Check your mms/vvm and see if they are working. If not, you will likely need to restore as a new phone.

3. vashim66 macrumors member

Hi, does the internet all of a sudden start working if you try to use it during a phone call?

It should stop working again after the phone call has ended.

my phone and the replacement both exhibit this behavior. (both non-jailbroken)

4. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

I will try that in a minute, I just did a "erase everything" from the phone. As for JBing, its a 4, so there is no way thats done yet.

EDIT: no, I did a "new" phone setup, no backups present on the mac.

5. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

6. vashim66 macrumors member

a reset network settings seems to have fixed the problem for now..my first phone worked for about 15 mins after each reboot before...so we'll see if the problem shows up again.

7. IlliniDude macrumors regular

I have the same issue. I took it back to ATT and they tried a new sim card, but that didn't work. After staring at it for a while the guy didn't have any ideas and said I'd have to exchange it. Of course, they have none in stock so I'll have to either deal with the masses on Tuesday or just order a new one and wait.

8. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

it seems to work while on a test call. I have a feeling that its something to do with iOS4 on the new phones. Ill just wait for apple to fix it :(

No recepetion issues here thank god.

Just tested it after I hung up, and back to not working. HoHum.

9. vashim66 macrumors member

my coworker who also just got an iphone 4 has the same repeatable problem...ug

10. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

I feel much better that Im not alone, Im submitting a bug report to apple now. I suggest anyone do the same. Please reference my Bug ID if you like #8132303

http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/

-----

Summary: Anytime I am on the 3G connection, the internet does not work, however making a phone call will. If I access the internet while on the phone, it will work just fine. Edge works the way it should.

Steps to Reproduce: Turn 3G data connection on, access safari, just sits there.

Expected Results: Internet should load random pages.

Actual Results: Internet sits at 0%, and does not move progress bar.

Wifi/Edge work the way they should. I do not lose the 3G signal when attempting to access the internet, and my Bars are full. Call clarity is amazing.
    -------

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Mine is very hit and miss with 5 bars right now too. I'm posting this on 3G though. We'll see how long it takes to actually post. Earlier today it was screaming. Much faster than my 3GS and I was loving it. Wondering if it's ATT.

12. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I believe I have the same issue. sometime the page will partially load, but never fully. If I switch to edge it will load. 3GS was fine in this location (at desk in office). I have tried resetting network setting but with no remedy.

Let me know if you solve the problem. I'm going to try a full drunken restore when I get a chance later tonight.

13. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

I've had the same exact problem. What's weird is that it was fine yesterday, and horrible today. Thanks for submitting a bug report, and hopefully it's resolved soon.

14. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

Are we all mobile me users? Im wondering if we have something in common on the phones.

I have the standard stuff installed, todo, speedtests, etc. Mine was screaming fast yesterday too, hmmm.

15. vashim66 macrumors member

no mobile me here. this is happening on a 100% stock phone 30 mins after receiving it from the apple store. I cannot restore from my backup until i get home.

16. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

17. vashim66 macrumors member

fyi. problem persists after 15 minutes of either rebooting the phone or performing a reset network settings. pandora streaming/all internet just stops after ~15 mins

18. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have mobile me.

I suspect AT&T.

On a somewhat related note this thing grabs wifi better than my 3GS. I couldn't get it from my desk before. Now I get a reasonably steady signal on it.

19. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think its an ATT problem right now.

I keep seeing this "Broken Pipe" in the Apple Iphone config util.

Attached Files:

20. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I have mobile me.

My fiancee has an iPhone 4 without mobile me. I will be able to compare later tonight and will post back with the results.

I had the same problem yesterday as I do today. Granted it was late in the day yesterday.

Where are you all located--Long Island, NY here.

21. vashim66 macrumors member

22. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, I believe the trouble is AT&T. My iPhone was fine yesterday and Wednesday on 3G.

24. kgeier82 thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe its an APN issue, Im looking into making my own file now, will keep ya'll posted. If my file works, ill be more than happy to share.

25. vashim66 macrumors member

My issues seem to be isolated to a specific cell tower, as I don't have the problem if I drive about 2 miles north of the tower I was connected to.