3G - Cracks in Plastic Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogheadboy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I posted pages and pages ago about my crack along the headphone jack. It developed from a little hairline to a proper crack though still absolutely tiny. Since then it developed 3 more hairlines around the screw point. Phone is about 6 months old.

So today I stroll into the Apple store, got an 'appointment' and without any expectation or explanation just handed it to a 'genius' and said "ive got a crack on my iPhone, thats the best one" pointing to the headphone jack.

He took it, scrutinised it for a second and said "hmm, thats a shear ... I'll get you another one"

Signed on the dotted line of the repair order and took my new iPhone. Seamless, beautiful! I nearly feel guilty about it because I was totally fine with the crack, I just wanted a pristine one because I KNOW i'm going to want to sell my 3GS in two weeks time ...

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

My last replacement due to the cracks was 'refused' by the "Genius", he stated that: "you dropped it". And my reply was: "yes I did, but the cracks are not due to the fall" other issues on the appeareance of my iPhone were due to the fall, but not the cracks mentioned in this thread. I asked to check for my history on their records, so they see that this was not the first time that my iPhones were replaced due to the obvious hairline cracks. He insisted that he was not going to, then I asked for the manager. And the manager, to not make him an unhappy employee said to him that he did a good job in his assessment, and asked him to replaced my iPhone for customer satisfaction reasons.
    Anyway, my points are:
    1- the cracks are real defects, they evolve from hairline to bigger ones
    2- the genius doesn't have the final decision
    3- be polite, don't lie, and make your point without wasting time in pointless discussions
    4- when needed, ask for the manager, and be clear about your defective product
    5- they have to provide you a good quality product
    6- damages due to abuse show in a different way than the hairline cracks

3. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I'd say take it back dude.... Apple is selling you a top notch experience and this phone doesen't match up to that. They WILL replace it and you will have a perfect phone. They actually want this because it keeps you coming back to them when you get your next phone.

4. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Me too.
    Sorry to brink back an older thread but has anyone had luck with getting apple to replace a cracked white 3GS or 3G that is slightly out of warranty? (about 3 weeks)

Mine has about 10 cracks in between the front aluminium bezel and the vibrate and volume buttons.

6. jennyjohnson macrumors newbie

I was also cracked more than three and above all posts are very best to get idea about the cracking, Keep sharing more details with us.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

What ? Had my iPhone 3G and 3GS now for awhile, no cracks. They are both sitting in my drawer now.

8. DroidRules macrumors 65816

New iPhone 3gs $99
    High speed interwebs $50/month
    New user digging up a 7 month old thread asking on post #1631 to "keep sharing more details with us", Priceless.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

New iPhone 3gs $99
    High speed interwebs $50/month
    New user reviving a 3.5 year old thread not posted in for 8 months to share is own personal 3gs story with us, priceless.

11. nmork macrumors regular

Someone makes a new thread for a subject that already has its own thread, other people get mad.

Someone searches for and finds a thread about the subject they want to post, other people get mad.

I really don't get it.

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

What was contributed by the poster that dug up a 7 month old (not being posted) thread that is 3.5 years old? Stupid resurrection of a widely known issue.

13. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

So, what are you saying? That you can't discuss it because no one has done it in 7months in this thread and because it's a known problem? :rolleyes:

If we're gonna talk about stupid, just look at your sign! Because you obviously have no idea why it is the way it is. You people (like you) who are new to the forums needs to calm down and learn how to deal with certain things. The forum is obviously not used for whatever you think it is. It's here to help each other out and the list of devices helps other users know what hardware they have in order for correct feedback besides people who owns these hardware may be contact in PM or whatever reasons one might have to ask questions to each other about the product.
    Or it's simply gonna take up a lot of time figuring out what hardware one might have that needs the help for those who forgot to add it. To me it seems like a desperate way for You to tell "us" that you have a big you-know-what on an apple forum, i have no idea why one would need to state such a thing on such a forum. Now that's funny if you ask me. Or where you expecting girls to jump on you because of it? Like i said, it sounds like a desperate try to reach out..

Honestly, i think you need to stop trolling, because if we're gonna do it your way, then there will be threads showing up time after time after time with the same questions instead of people who do like this and use the threads that are already there, which is great.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yet if he creates a new thread, he would get a lecture on searching

15. DroidRules, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

DroidRules macrumors 65816

Wow... what a well thought out response.... New like me? Guess the dates under my name confuse you. The fact that you took the time to respond lets me know you care! Thanks a lot for your time.

Oh and to the point of your post, what did the poster add in the form of information? Did he contribute to the 3gs cracking case issue? Did he ask a question about the issue? Was he looking for helpful advice on how to fix an issue? Nope, his post was as worthless as mine. SO that being said, good day sir.

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I find that post with more value than what you wrote. Please read again and your post really doesn't add any value to this thread. And if you don't have anything good to add please don't add.
    If this makes you uncomfortable, it has the same 'effect' of your post.
    And yes, if a topic is relevant to your question or situation, the forum rules ask us to post in a thread already established.
    For the 'new' participant in the topic as well as for the former participants this is better and it improves the discussion.

Back to te topic: I believe this defect is one of the main reason why Apple moved from the plastic design to the glass and metal frame.
    Even some users are experiencing scratches on their glass iPhones, the design and manufacturing is better. By better I mean that it is a stronger material and less prone to cracks.

17. DroidRules, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

DroidRules macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Rjn6W9jYk