3G Data Limit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rwoolsey, Jul 30, 2011.

1. rwoolsey macrumors member

rwoolsey

I seem to be blasting thru my 200mb 3G data plan on my AT&T iPhone 4. For the third month in a row I've been forced to turn off my data and rely solely on Wi-Fi & Edge. The kicker though, is that I rarely access 3G.

What am I missing, or is it something I just have to live with?

2. Bloodkip macrumors newbie

I would move up to the 2gb $25 plan. Beats paying $30 for 400mb.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Check if you have any apps in the background. Maybe you should consider upgrading dataplans? Do you tether? Are you jailbroken?

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Likely what you have running in the back ground like any social programs or weather updates. Somthing is using data

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Do you send/receive lots of email? Surf the web on breaks at work? 200mb is not much data.

20 plain text emails per 1MB
    2-5 HTML emails per 1MB
    photo attachment 2-5MB

6. rwoolsey thread starter macrumors member

rwoolsey

No tethering, not jailbroken. I close apps once I'm done. And I'm NOT upgrading.

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I'm at almost 11 gb's this month so far. A record for me.

8. ViPhone macrumors 6502

I too have been experiencing supposed increased data usage despite not using as much as other months.

I'm under a 2GB plan and I'm at 90% which is rare for me.

I think AT&T might actually be inflating their usage a bit. Sounds crazy, but I've had this happen to most of my friends who have iPhones, as well.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

10. rwoolsey thread starter macrumors member

rwoolsey

Glad to know I'm not alone. When I upgraded from the 3G to 4 I noticed a major difference. *Sigh

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I haven't noticed much of a difference going from the 3GS to the 4.

I'm still on the unlimited plan, but I'm starting to think about downgrading to the 2GB to save $5/month. My usage over the past 6 months hasn't been higher than 200MB, so I'd drop down to the 200MB plan, but I'm worried that I'll go over. The 200MB plan should really be 500MB.:rolleyes:

Does AT&T just bump you up to the 2GB plan if you go over the 200MB, or do they start charging per MB? EDIT: just answered my own question: If 200MB is exceeded, an additional 200MB is automatically provided at a rate of $15 for each additional 200MB.

12. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

My question is, why do I need to pay for 3g data when my area only gets edge? When I use data in my area it count towards my allowance even though I'm not using 3g. I'd go to a 200meg plan if it didn't.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

They don't differentiate between EDGE and 3G data. Data is data, no matter what connection you have while using it.

The unlimited $20 data plan was great when I had the 1st gen.

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

try turning data off for a while and see if att says you used any during those days

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Using Pandora or YouTube? You'll blow through your 250 in a matter of hours if so.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

17. rwoolsey thread starter macrumors member

rwoolsey

I too started with the unlimited plan, but downgraded because I was rarely using 150mb, but as soon as I scaled back along came the increasing in data used.

I'm guessing that move pissed AT&T off and now they're sticking it to me.

Be forewarned.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seems like you are out of wifi range more often than you think. Edge data will still count against you even though it is slower than 3G. I use wifi on my phone alot. So far, I have only used 38.52MB of data on the cellular network and I'm halfway through my billing cycle.

19. rwoolsey thread starter macrumors member

rwoolsey

Actually, I'm not.
    House = wifi
    Work = wifi
    Starbucks = wifi
    Tour Bus = wifi
    Mall = wifi
    Local Mexican Restaurant = wifi

Freak'n conspiracy! Thanks for the input though.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I seriously doubt AT&T is “sticking it” to you. You must have something using data that changed from before when you had unlimited.

21. rwoolsey thread starter macrumors member

rwoolsey

Nope, pretty sure they're sticking it me. At least when the throttling-backs begins this fall, I'll be use to AT&T d!@king me over.

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Throttle the already slow network? Haha...on 1 bar it takes a 20 seconds to load a minute long youtube video BEFORE it starts to buffer. Funny thing is when tethering, that same video loads instantly...

23. rwoolsey thread starter macrumors member

rwoolsey

I send close to 200 texts/month but emails and photo attachements are slim to none. Only when necessary. Guess I'll just watch my activity better.

24. EddyP macrumors 6502

My 3GS broke and I went back to my old Samsung Jack this past month.

I used to use less than 200MB with the 3GS. Limited email. The occasional app that uses data. Weather mostly.

Now with the Jack, I blew through my 200mb in about two weeks. I'm not using any apps. Just email. Even though my phone is on wifi when I am home, I am transmitting many megs of data every night a little after midnight. Not sure what the issue is. ATT has been useless trying to help. I upgraded to the 2GB plan. I asked to shut the data off after 200MB they said they couldn't.

Check you data and see if you can figure out when/why is is being used. There are other threads about "phantom data" being sent with no solution identified.

Maybe the wifi on my Samsung just sucks balls.