3G Data-only on iPhone 4 (no contract)? Possible? How?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacVault, Oct 17, 2010.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

My company wanted to give me a Blackberry so I am reachable by email & txt on the road. I asked for an iPhone instead. They said they won't buy me an iPhone under their account but if I want an iPhone over a BB they'll give me $50 / mo toward whatever smartphone I want to get on my own. However, I rarely use voice, the $50/mo doesn't cover any AT&T iPhone plan and I don't want to be under contract anyway with a monthly ~$70-80 bill.

So, will the following really work and can anyone tell me how to do this:

-- get iPhone 4 from local AT&T store with minimum service
    -- promptly cancel service
    -- pay termination fee (charges should add up to no more than retail cost of iPhone, right? And canceling service so quickly would not ding my credit, right?)
    -- then somehow get iPad 2GB data-only plan to work on on iPhone 4
    -- install Skype / Gizmo5, etc. and be paying more like $30/mo for data+skype, no contract, having the other $20/mo from my company going towards the ~$700 cost of the iPhone itself - effectively paying it off after so many months, or at least keeping up with the devaluation.

Can anyone confirm that this really works and that AT&T won't detect my data-only iPhone and disable me? Can I really walk into an AT&T shop and buy an iPad microsim that will fit and work in the iPhone 4? Won't they be suspicious? How much do they charge for the sim? Or, does AT&T officially support the iPad 3G data plan on the iPhone 4? And if not, why?

Is there a better way to obtain the iPhone than signing up for service and canceling? I called my nearest Apple store more than once a few months back and they said they would sell me the iPhone 4 for full price, contract-free. But I have read on here that this doesn't work even when they tell you they will do so over the phone. Not to mention my nearest store is 3.5 hours away. So I see my only option is to sign up with AT&T and then cancel and pay term. fees. to keep the phone.

I hope I can really make this work. If not I'll probably get an iPad 3G and a dumb prepaid phone for occasional voice calls. I'd prefer the iPhone 4, however. Please tell me it works and how to make it work! I'd really appreciate it!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Instead of making this situation needlessly difficult, just take the Blackberry. It won't be "your" phone either way, so why give yourself a headache?

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure on the data. If you figure that out, I've got a suggestion on texts and calls with no cellular service: TextFree - you get a real phone number, free unlimited texts, and soon to be voice service over 3G. I'm in the TextFree Voice beta testing program and I can tell you it works fantastically! Best of all, you get completely free/unlimited incoming calls!

4. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Because:
    1) I don't like BlackBerrys, especially the cheap, basic model they would get me or hand down to me from an ex-employee.
    2) It would really help me for work to have the "full internet" in my pocket (too bad the iPad 3G won't fit my pocket, and too bad the iPod Touch has no 3G)
    2) I want an iDevice anyway. I have a MacBook but have never had an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch.
    3) If I get the iPhone it will be "my" phone. My company won't own it.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Take the blackberry and put the SIM in an iPhone?

6. james92se macrumors 6502a

MacVault: actually your idea will work assuming you can get or have an iPad data plan/SIM

Per this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=976320

All you need to do is change the APN and you can use the iPad SIM in the iPhone and achieve what you want to do

7. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

If I do that I don't get the $50/mo allowance from my company to help pay for the iPhone :(

8. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds like that would work. The question is - can I walk into AT&T store and buy an iPad SIM with activated 3G data plan - without having to present an iPad? I don't want to have to go purchase an iPad just to make my iPhone work.

Also, assuming I could do this, should I expect AT&T to wise up to this and somehow deactivate my data plan just because I'm running it on an iPhone and they really mean for it to be run on an iPad?

9. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Looks like I can buy just the iPad MicroSIM for $15 from AT&T:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...038&q_sku=sku4530230&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

Does it have to be activated on the iPad, or can I activate it on the iPhone 4, or on the web or in the AT&T store (without being installed in an iPad?)

Looks like this page shows how to do this, however, I don't think it says if it will work on iPhone 4 with the latest iOS. Does anyone know??
    http://hijinksinc.com/2010/07/08/activating-an-ipad-3g-micro-sim-without-an-ipad/