Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPhone 3G running faster or slower on iOS4?

• My 3G is running faster

Votes: 43 31.2%
  • My 3G is running slower/I'm having issues

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • I can't tell the difference

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I don't have a 3G but I am compelled to answer this poll anyway

Votes: 31 22.5%

• Total voters

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
This is for 3G owners only, please don't reply if you have a 3Gs...thanks.

I know there is a thread on this, but it's hard to tell from reading a bunch of random responses what the overall results are so I decided to make a poll.

So, do you feel that your 3G is running faster overall or slower/you're having issues?

fuzion

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2010
My 3G's (not 3gs..) was apparent a while back.. just seemed to be getting slower and slower. iOS 4 with added features doesn't help but I wouldn't say it's much slower.

I was playing angry birds earlier and got a text, thought the damned thing was going to explode.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
For the most part I really can't tell a difference. But what I noticed is the transitions between apps seem to be smoother and swiping between app pages seems improved as well. So overall I'm pretty happy with the update. However, my uses are probably far more basic than most people on here, I just use my iPhone for web browsing, text messages, e-mail, facebook and iPod.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
It is slower slightly. I see alot more skipping instead of fluid motions.

But I'm keeping the iOS 4 update on my 3G until of course the iPhone 4 comes my way.

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
My 3G's (not 3gs..) was apparent a while back.. just seemed to be getting slower and slower. iOS 4 with added features doesn't help but I wouldn't say it's much slower.

I was playing angry birds earlier and got a text, thought the damned thing was going to explode.

I feel ya. My 3G is ready to be put down.

Goldfire

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2009
Oklahoma City
Mine is significantly faster than before. The phone was almost unusable before the update, and now it is flying. Just switching screens lagged terribly and now it is instant. Sort of steals some of my excitement about the iPhone 4 though...

mbarringtons

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
For me it's slightly faster, but not by much. I also haven't had too much time to play around with it.

However, one application that I noticed that is definitely running faster is the camera app. It loads up more quickly as well as takes pictures more quickly.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
been snappier and more fluid for me - especially with all the home screen interactivity. Haven't noticed any more lag in terms of launching apps or performance... a few apps feel a bit quicker but it's hard to say for sure.

Overall- loving it! (even though I've managed to lock myself out of it by setting an incorrect passcode somehow!!!)

GRRRR:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I've decided to upgrade my work iPhone 3G. I'll see how that goes before updating my personal one (which is in pieces still anyway.)

Crossing my fingers for the best.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ok, just finished. Got music loaded, Exchange syncing, apps in folders, etc...

FYI, I loaded mine from scratch (did a "Restore") and I chose to start a new phone instead of restoring from backup. So mine was nice and fresh.

I'm very happy with the results. I'm sure some of the speed improvement is just due to the OS refresh, but either way it seems to have helped.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
does anyone elses SMS app take ages to load up now? i mean like 4-8 seconds...

its not a dealbreaker but its odd. never did this before upgrading.

cant see all that many new features that are worth it IMO for 3g users, folders i'm not fussed about, threaded gmail is nice though

senorhappy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I've jailbroken my 4.0 3G and it isn't nearly as slow as I would have thought. It might actually be as fast fairly naked (no themes, lockinfo, etc.) as it was before 4.0 with all the goodies added. I did do a restore from new, so that probably helped a ton. It will probably slow wayyyy down once winterboard is updated and i start to put the fun stuff back on. But I like multitasking... quite a good implementation of the concept.

Now bring me my iP4 !!!

Cambot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010

cant see all that many new features that are worth it IMO for 3g users, folders i'm not fussed about, threaded gmail is nice though

The SMS is the only thing I've noticed lagging. Mostly when I start typing that I'll be a few words into the message before it catches up. Only thing I've really noticed but I think the folders load fast, fast enough until the 23/24when the new phone comes :)

Do we have the "Archive" option in Gmail settings for 3G? I don't see it in mine, nor the "archive" icon when 'deleting.' However all my deletes are sent to the All Mail box.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Hmm thats odd

when i swipe to delete in gmail, it automatically says "Archive" now instead of delete.

are you using the Exchange gmail setup for push notifications, or just as a standard gmail account?

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
My jailbroken 3G, with home screen backgrounds, and multitasking is noticeably smoother. Granted it has only bee a few hours, but I would definitely recomend updating and jailbreaking for the multitasking at least.

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I noticed a much speedier interface on my 3G 8GB phone. Shame really as I have a 4 coming in 2 days and was hoping I could justify the speed jump but I guess this just means the 4 will be even faster!!! Yippeee!!!!

I like the quicker transitions between screens so I would say my 3G is faster.

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
Pre ios4 my 3G felt very slow for a lot of tasks. Now it feels a bit quicker although i haven't had a full day to test out normal usage yet.

What's with all my pictures looking blurry and grainy though? I guess that's fir another thread.

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
Ok, just finished. Got music loaded, Exchange syncing, apps in folders, etc...

FYI, I loaded mine from scratch (did a "Restore") and I chose to start a new phone instead of restoring from backup. So mine was nice and fresh.

I'm very happy with the results. I'm sure some of the speed improvement is just due to the OS refresh, but either way it seems to have helped.

I did the same, started a "new iPhone". I even changed the name. It used to be Billy, now its William. I couldnt be happier also. It is running much faster. I had jailbroken, unjailbroken, re jailbroken and unjailbroken again so many times and I think that is what was slowing down my phone before.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
My 3G is running like a cow so I won't be upgrading to iOS4. I know it will just make it worse.

It's getting to a point where it can't do basic things...SMS, web browsing, etc. It's sooo slow compared to the iPad. Can't wait to get the new iPhone, if it ever comes to Canada.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Apple slowed down the 3G to make every 3G user upgrade, lol

I stopped using the 3G a year ago and moved on to the 3GS... im ready for iPhone 4 in 2 days!!

Cambot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Hmm thats odd

when i swipe to delete in gmail, it automatically says "Archive" now instead of delete.

are you using the Exchange gmail setup for push notifications, or just as a standard gmail account?

I wasn't sure so I made a new Gmail account and now I'm getting the option :)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Mine seems to take 3 seconds. But seems like it did before. I could be wrong.

I've jailbroken my 4.0 3G and it isn't nearly as slow as I would have thought. It might actually be as fast fairly naked (no themes, lockinfo, etc.) as it was before 4.0 with all the goodies added. I did do a restore from new, so that probably helped a ton. It will probably slow wayyyy down once winterboard is updated and i start to put the fun stuff back on. But I like multitasking... quite a good implementation of the concept.

Now bring me my iP4 !!!

Multi-tasking? Do you have a 3G or 3Gs?

My 3G is running like a cow so I won't be upgrading to iOS4. I know it will just make it worse.

It's getting to a point where it can't do basic things...SMS, web browsing, etc. It's sooo slow compared to the iPad. Can't wait to get the new iPhone, if it ever comes to Canada.

So was mine. Restoring it as a totally new phone fixed that. I don't have all my app data or texts, but having a faster phone is more important that having all that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.