3G ipad=Fail?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Jul 20, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

5 Reasons not to get 3G ipad

1. 130 dollars is just too much.
    2. AT&T network only
    3. Data has been capped. Thanks
    4. Verizon Ipad will be released. I think Verizon ipad will happen before Verizon iphone.
    5. 4G network is around the corner. No reason to spend on 3G networks.

What do you all think?

2. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

thats a lot of assumption. may as well wait for the ipad 10 on the 8G network w/ that reasoning...

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I'm spending the extra 130 bucks for the AGPS-chip and the ability to have on-the-go data access if I choose to.

AT&T barely has their 3G network running properly. What makes you think 4G is that close for them?

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Is apple really working on a verizon ipad or is that just rumor? Last I heard verizon and google were working together on an android tablet.

5. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

VZW has poked Apple in the eye repeatedly in their add campaign; yeah, much of it was ATT specific, but Apple was still on the receiving end. S. Jobs hasn't demonstrated that he has much of a sense of humor wrt public humiliation, so I think it will be a cold day in heck before he puts out a VZW product.

Of course, I wonder how happy S. Jobs is these days after ATT publicly humiliated Apple by weaseling out of the iPad unlimited data pad before the plastic was even cold on the delivered product...

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

1. Not really.. You don't want to spend that? Don't buy it.
    2. That's a US problem, in Europe they're all sold unlocked, and numerous networks have fantastic data plans, for instance I purchased mine in the UK, and already have my German iPad chip in my hand ready for when I go there next week for a month.
    3. You wouldn't use all that data anyway, so stop crying.
    4. No it won't.... Stop dreaming.
    5. HAHAHAHAHAHA... You made a funny!....

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not a US problem at all. Unlocked for us as well. I'm headed to Europe soon and I'm looking forward to travel with locally-purchased SIMS abroad.

I have an unlocked quad-band phone that I travel with, purchasing SIMS as I need them. It will be nice to get email/Internet on that basis now.

8. lozpop macrumors 6502

Considering that I'm italian and I use Three , I really like having an iPad with 3GB of monthly data for just 5€ (6,40$) everywhere I go.

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I think a troll thread in the making.....

Points 1 through 5 are all moot. Move along, and don't feed the trolls....

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

He said it was AT&T only.. So I guessed it was locked to their network rather than other providers not offering MicroSims.

11. Perihelion macrumors regular

Here in Canada we have 3 cellular companies to choose from and the 3G coverage in and around municipalities is great. Everyone will tell you their 3G is faster but they're all reasonable for light internet / email use when you're on the go. My 3G has saved me a few times from having to go home or to the office...

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Exactly. That's why I figured that this was a trolls only thread as this has been discussed until the cows came home. Everyone knows that the iPad is not locked and that prepaid sim cards are there globally. There is even a thread started about local sim cards and the APN settings for each provider. This is a non-thread.

Here you go: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=968114

13. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

The reason that it is locked to AT&T is because they are the only provider in the US on the bands supported by iPad. You could probably hack a microsim from a tmobile phone with a data plan (the only other gsm carrier in US) but you would only get edge speeds and not 3G.

The other major US carriers are CDMA so the hardware won't support it at all.

14. H4rdc0re macrumors newbie

5 Reasons your post is irrelevant to me.

1. 130 dollars is just too much. (Not for me.)
    2. AT&T network only (Not in Canada. We get to choose from 3.)
    3. Data has been capped. Thanks (I can't use the all of the 5GB I pay $30 a month for)
    4. Verizon Ipad will be released. I think Verizon ipad will happen before Verizon iphone. (AT&T has the best coverage in the states no matter what you think you've heard. Survey after survey has proven this.)
    5. 4G network is around the corner. No reason to spend on 3G networks. (How does 4G being around the corner help me right now?)

What do you all think? (I think you don't know what you're talking about.)

15. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

AT&T has the best coverage in places that it actually has 3G but it doesn't have 3G in a lot of places if this is correct:

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

I guess it is up to date at least as of November 2009 because that is when AT&T rolled 3G out here and it is blue on the map. The map says 2010 though.

16. AR15MBP macrumors regular

some people need on the go internet access and can afford it. some people don't. no sign of verizon ipad in any way. 4g is a long way's away from being completely viable.

if you don't want it, don't get it.

17. surferchick2 macrumors member

I wouldn't buy it without 3G. A good portion of airports I fly into don't have free wifi. The nursing home my dad is in has no wifi. My car has no wifi. Not all restaurants have wifi. My mom lives in a remote area of an island and it has no cable (satellite only), let alone wifi. A lot of hotels not near the airport doesn't provide free wifi, shuttles have no wifi. If I'm at a park (eg, my off leash dog park), at the beach, at a game, picnic, no wifi.

For me, the upgrade cost is minimal....better than spending 60 bucks/month/2 yr contract with another carrier for a mobile card I had, while i now pay 30/unlimited (or even the 2G if I had missed it). AT&T service has been alot strong with my iPad in comparison to my iPhone (not sure why), so I rarely need wifi even if it's available.

Wifi only isnt a fail, but for my needs, it would have been a deal breaker, so i thank apple for providing us with a 3G month to month option that doesn't break the bank.

18. willmeister macrumors newbie

Depends on how you look at it. If you use 3G, then it's worth it. Also, if you find having poor WiFi reception when setting the device down (because of the small antenna inside the Apple logo), get the 3G just for that.

Everyone craps on their provider.

Not in Canada, but they will charge the snot out of you for roaming.

Meh.

I bet it will probably be more than $130...

What do you all think?[/QUOTE]

19. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I just love these threads where the OP makes an inane statement, and you never hear from them again. Thread baiting 101.

20. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I don't see hardware costs being more for 4g but service charges will be. I am just basing this on sprint who already started rolling out 4g.

21. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

That or they're trying to justify their purchase of choosing the wifi over 3g.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

this post = fail

1. 130 dollars is only 15%
    2. wrong. put any sim in you want. works great abroad.
    3. not true. mine is still unlimited and even then 90% never exceed 2 GB
    4. if you wait for rumors you never get an iPad. even if a verizon version comes and if it turns out to be better just sell the 3G and buy the verizon.
    5. 4G is a long time away and why do you think you will get 4G for 25$? maybe it's 50$ a month. if you wait for rumors you never get an iPad. even if a 4G version comes and if it turns out to be better just sell the 3G and buy the 4G.

23. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Seeing as you've said it as an universal statement, UK wise, its worth the extra if you can afford it. We have about 5 networks to choose from. Data is capped here as well, but 10GB is a very big allowance, over 300mb a day.

Our mobile network infrastructure is different with multiple carriers piggybacking off another, eg 3, which is our largest 3G network, only builds towers with 3G capability, but they also leech another networks (Orange) 2G base. With our current status, 4G is going to be very patchy and exclusive, especially as 3G isn't covering the full country yet.

24. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Couldn't of put it any better. Big reason why I don't mind spending a few extra $$ for the "more expensive" models of Apple products: the resale value is always fantastic.

With my iPhones, I always wind up with exactly what I paid for it a year ago in cash. I love it.