Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chewbee

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
I don't know if I can wait yet another 5 months, I'm getting obsessed with buying one!

lordgaino

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................

.......if you want one then buy one, if you want to wait then wait.... its so boring hearing all this procrastination.

I have an iphone, its amazing, yes it will eventually be superseded, but its the nuts and i know that apple rumours spread like wildfire, and that generally speaking as soon as one device comes out they rumour about a new one. For example the micro-macbook.... thats been rumoured to be imminent for over a year. We are still waiting. How long did we wait for the iphone to come out regardless of rumours, oh yeah the 'google phone'.... appparently imminent but we are still waiting.....

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
While CNBC may be a trustworthy source, it is still someone reporting a rumor they heard from someone. I will believe a release date for a 3G iPhone when Apple announces it.

kimguroo

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
I don't know why you'd wait for 3g, edge is not all that bad really.

I agree.
I've never used 3G and I am wondering how fast is the 3G.
EDGE is totally fine for me.

does apple already find low battery consume 3G Chip????
sounds like he had the accurate source on both ipod touch and ultra-laptop but He just created 3G Iphone rumor.
I still think they will release 3G iphone in late 08 or early 09 at macworld.
Not may or june.

Mr R

macrumors member
May 25, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
If EDGE and 3G were automobiles EDGE would be a run down jalopy and 3G would be a Formula 1 race car. There is no comparison.

Let me get this right - EDGE operates at a maximum of 200kbps and 3G is around 384kbps??? But 3G allows voice+data simultaneously whereas EDGE doesn't allow for voice when transmitting/receiving data? Also does 3G really consume more battery life than EDGE? Constructive comments please :D

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
Let me get this right - EDGE operates at a maximum of 200kbps and 3G is around 384kbps??? But 3G allows voice+data simultaneously whereas EDGE doesn't allow for voice when transmitting/receiving data? Also does 3G really consume more battery life than EDGE? Constructive comments please :D

I don't know the technical details but my brother has an AT&T 8525 and it amazingly fast. I showed up at his place with my iPhone and he said that it lacks 3G. I asked him so exactly how fast is 3g? When he demonstrated exactly how fast 3G is it put my Iphone to shame. :(

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
3G iPhone and $1500 'Super Laptop' in 2008

CNBC's Jim Goldman reports on rumors from "a very good source of [his] with good connections to Apple's Asian manufacturing partners."

Goldman has heard that Apple will be making headlines in the next weeks-to-months related to the iPod Touch, iPhone and ultra-portable laptop.

- iPod touch is said to have had its manufacturing increased substantially to 5.1 million units for the holiday shopping season.
- 3G iPhone expected to hit store shelves by May or June.
- Finally, the rumored Ultra portable laptop will arrive at Macworld San Francisco 2008.

On the laptop, the specs differ slightly from circulating rumors, and pegs the price point at $1500:
The blogs have speculated about this, but he says he now has hard evidence that the smallest laptop ever from Apple is only weeks away. He says the device will feature a 12-inch screen and will be 50 percent thinner--and lighter--than current versions of the MacBook Pro. He says the product will not have a hard-drive, but rely on Flash memory instead and likely retail for around $1,500.
A video clip of his segment is also available. Apple, of course, declined to comment on rumors. Macworld San Francisco kicks off on January 15th with a keynote speech from Steve Jobs. As always, MacRumors will be providing live coverage.

Article Link

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't know the technical details but my brother has an AT&T 8525 and it amazingly fast. I showed up at his place with my iPhone and he said that it lacks 3G. I asked him so exactly how fast is 3g? When he demonstrated exactly how fast 3G is it put my Iphone to shame. :(

I'd venture to guess that comparing an 8525 and an iPhone in terms of speed is silly because you're looking at two completely different mobile platforms. I mean you can take into account some speed differences, but again you're looking at WM5 or 6 (whatever they're on) and OSX-ish.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
There's a TON of pent-up demand for an Intel-based 12-inch Mac portable. Ever since the transition away from PowerPC, people have been waiting for a smaller MacBook or MacBook Pro. These things will sell like crazy.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
The tiny notebook sounds like fun. I'm really doubting that I will sell my current iPhone in June to buy a 3g iPhone unless there are significant changes other than 3g. I don't even have (and most people don't have) 3g coverage where I live and go to school so having a 3g iPhone doesn't really present much of an advantage for me unless I happen to travel in/close to Boston. Although the extra 8gb has me interested a little bit, there would have to be some other additional features/additions to make me pull the trigger.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
12" is an improvement over 13.3". I'd still prefer 10", but if there's a small enough border around the screen, it'll do.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Im trying to decide whether Im happy or not about a new iPhone.........Its going to make me want to buy a new one in less than a year! Is 3g really worth it??I mean for me to buy another iPhone?

lordgaino

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
3g is substantially faster than edge. however edge is still fast enough in the real world for comfortable full web browsing on a small screen.

the only time that you are going to need full on 3g access is if you are watch streaming video or something like that. and do you really believe that you are going to allowed to watch 3g streaming video without the alarm bells going off about 'fair usage policies'.

so the fact is, that while out and about, there is a limitation to the speed of download you really need- especially when stocks, weather and email is always updated in moments when over edge anyway.

this arguement is pointless. it is indeed like comparing a saloon car to a formula one car. the formula one car is better performance - but how many people do you see driving formula one cars on the highway?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Money is waiting for that portable.

Question to people:

I haven't been keeping up lately on flash memory (had some school work I've been doing). Last I heard they could use a 64 GB SSD. Has this changed, what size would you all expect to be in this ultraportable? I don't know how the pricing in mass quantity would be for apple. Any guesses to what will probably be in there?

prg3

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Mexico
one way or another, its all sorting out... :D

if this rumour has even a tiny part of true, Im in for that ultra portable 12" Nanobook Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.