Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
3G iPhone in May, since they've apparently sold out of the current model. It'll sell only in countries currently offering the iPhone.

Then at WWDC, they announce the iPhone Nano, as well as service in other countries (Canada, Aus, Italy, all those Vodaphone countries, etc).

That's my best case scenario guess. Odds are though that this supply issue is just that, and they'll wait till WWDC to announce anything iPhone related.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
This is only plausible if the two devices are different enough that they don't compete with each other in any way.

Otherwise you'd have tons of upset customers who grabbed the new iphone and then see something a couple weeks later that fit what they want better.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Here are the facts:

1) The next iPhone will not be released until the iPhone 2.0 beta is over. That won't be until June.

2) AT&T has blocked off June 15-July15th for requesting vacations this year just like last year. A good guess would be 2 weeks training, then 2 weeks managing massive store overload.

3) Apple would need to organize some type of press event in an incredibly short time for it to be in May. This makes no sense with WWDC just around the corner.

4) It's worth saying again, WWDC is just around the corner!

I agree with this. A 3G iPhone needs the 2.0 software, which is in fifth beta but isn't done yet. And with AT&T reportedly blocking off a specific timeframe, it makes sense that it would at least be shipped and ready to buy then.

As for this rumored extra device, I can't even begin to speculate on what it could be. One of the things I have been hoping for (no idea if its possible) but a device that runs on an internet similar to the whispernet that AMZN has for its Kindle device. How awesome would it be if a iPod touch revision would be one to include this internet?

Of course there are those that argue that Apple would never release such a thing, because the iPhone would lose a big marketshare. But I think a totally accessible wi-fi device would be HUGE, and something we can expect in the next 1-2 years (or now).

I can't wait for WWDC!

sea stobble

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
what should I do

the volume button on my iPhone has been physically stuck on "volume down" for about the last week. it's kind of annoying, but the speaker volume is already so quiet, it's THAT annoying. I don't live anywhere near an apple store, and I'm going to have to ship it in. should I hold off and wait for the chance (I know it's not a great one) that I may receive a 3g phone if the current ones are "phased out" or just go ahead and send it in?

chrup

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
South Eastern United States
No iPhones at the stores

I was at my friendly local Apple store earlier today and spoke to one of the sales guys there. They don't have stock of iPhones and he said that they have no idea when they get iPhones again, thinking that the earliest would be "that conference that they [Apple Developers] have in the beginning of June some time".
When I was sceptical ["What? 1 whole month without iPhone??"], he just shrugged and mumbled "Yeah, weird".

I have an iPhone and I don't really need the 3G feature, everywhere I go, there are WiFi hotspots these days. No 3G needed.

bmk

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Paris
I thought they were gonna wait till WWDC but it looks like it will drop earlier. No way ANY company skips an entire month of revenue, and tells people "Sorry we don't know abut that product"..

It will be this tuesday I'd imagine, 2 days, SHAREHOLDERS would sue the pants off you, and in some cases it might be illegal to withhold product like that, especially when it causes the company and shareholders lots of money.

Not quite sure where you get your knowledge of the relationship between companies and shareholders (or the law for that matter), but as ar as I understand it shareholders don't have an impact on the day to day running of a company, however important they are. If Apple - just hypothetically - decided to not sell iPhones for a month and take a hit on iPhone sales, and then came out with a wild new product that sold millions and millions and made the share price rocket - how would that annoy shareholders? Even if Apple made a financial decision that negatively affected share prices in the short term and angered shareholders they (the shareholders) would still have to wait for the annual meeting to make their protest so annoying them in the short term wouldn't make any difference to Apple's short to medium term strategies if they felt that the rewards of a product launch outweighed the short term losses.

Not being a shareholder myself, I may be completely wrong about this, of course.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
the volume button on my iPhone has been physically stuck on "volume down" for about the last week. it's kind of annoying, but the speaker volume is already so quiet, it's THAT annoying. I don't live anywhere near an apple store, and I'm going to have to ship it in. should I hold off and wait for the chance (I know it's not a great one) that I may receive a 3g phone if the current ones are "phased out" or just go ahead and send it in?

The release of a new iPhone will have no effect on what your replacement will be. Apple has always kept on hand repair/replacement stock of older versions of iPhones and iPods to replace those that need to be replaced.

DCSMAC

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
The evidence for a june release is "softer" than the evidence for a release as early as this week. Its solid fact that it is near impossible to buy a new iphone now, and any publicly-owned company will not miss out on such a large source of revenue for an entire month. Can you imagine steve reporting on the Q2 earnings call that there was no profit from the iPhones for AN ENTIRE MONTH!! no way. Also, its become quite public that the revision is coming, and maybe the sales numbers over the past few weeks are indicating that people are waiting for the new release.

Also, The iPhone has got to be one of the most coveted gifts for both high school and college graduates, and having a new one come out now as opposed to june (which is a little late) will only improve sales. Perhaps its ready ahead of time...why not release it ahead of time?

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Gee... a May release for the iPhone? It'd be nice, but count me among those who don't believe it. Without 2.0 software ready, it won't happen. Or is the 2.0 beta so close to being done?

Steve did make mention of releasing new devices at the last earnings report, so I could believe a mini tablet and/or an iPhone nano, but again I don't see it until WWDC.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was just thinking this same thing last night. But there were two things holding my suspicions back:

1.) iPhone 2.0 firmware isn't supposed to be released until June

2.) Apple may be wanting to build hype before the 3g release by making consumers wait a little to get the new device. Either that or they want there to be more of a gap so people don't get all pissed off again and want a refund when they buy an iPhone one day and the new one comes out the day after.

Anyone think that the two iPhones will be running different firmware? What about 32gb chips? NewEgg.com has them as low as $140 in CF varieties.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
i believe but im not sure about this that the 2.0 software doesnt have to be shipped with the new phones. there may be features u need to wait for the 2.0 software to be released.

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
It is highly doubtful that apple will release another portable device to to canabalise the IPhone and MBA sales....

If they release IPhone in MAY it is very likely most of the customers will hold on to there money to wait an see what is going to happen at WWDC....

As of now.... if they release only the gen2 IPhone hardware in May then the full potential of the IPhone gen2 wont be realised untill WWDC when they will release the IPhone ver2 software.... which will bring in the extra features... which Apple will be willing to show off.... and more specifically at WWDC because they will have the executive crowd whom they intend to please with this version.....

If they release the new device in WWDC then it will eat into the sales from the customers who will b waiting and watching.... Since most of the Mac loyal customers already have an IPhone.... they will decide not to upgrade to the new IPhone and rather opt for the new portable device to have a go.....

M sure this is not the direction apple is going to take.... SJ is a very vice chap.... M sure he wont like the new baby canabalising the sales of the IPhone....

Sorry to disappoint you but I would say Apple would have enough of gen-1 IPhones even if you ship yours after WWDC to give you an replacement. If Apple has EOL the current version then they would still have some stock remaining. On the other hand they would still have some refurbished stocks at that time for you.... So m pretty sure they wont give you a free upgrade to Iphone gen2.... they will rather want you to buy one....

Metal425

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Yay! I'm very happy. I have been awaiting the 3G for awhile now.
I'm happy it's coming earlier then expected.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Can you imagine steve reporting on the Q2 earnings call that there was no profit from the iPhones for AN ENTIRE MONTH!! no way.

Also, The iPhone has got to be one of the most coveted gifts for both high school and college graduates, and having a new one come out now as opposed to june (which is a little late) will only improve sales.

Wow. Nice points. That does make a whole lot of sense. Though maybe Steve knows of some more countries that will get the iPhone, and how huge the sales will be this year, so it doesn't really matter in the long run? Still highly unlikely that they would go that long with no iPhone (unless they are trying to pull a Wii to push demand).

As for me, I'm buying myself one as an early graduation present since I'll be a senior in college this fall.....heh.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
As long as they release the new iPhone before August, I'm happy.

We're going to NY during the second week of August, and I want to buy my new iPhone at the 5th ave. apple store.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
1.) iPhone 2.0 firmware isn't supposed to be released until June
so? nowhere has said iphone 3g has to run firmware 2.0 ot the box

2.) Either that or they want there to be more of a gap so people don't get all pissed off again and want a refund when they buy an iPhone one day and the new one comes out the day after.
apple has always released products like this, the ipods, the mac (macbooks, mbpros, mac pros and imacs) and software releases all (normally) available as soon as they are announced, and there is not normally any warning...

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Here are the facts:

1) The next iPhone will not be released until the iPhone 2.0 beta is over. That won't be until June.

2) AT&T has blocked off June 15-July15th for requesting vacations this year just like last year. A good guess would be 2 weeks training, then 2 weeks managing massive store overload.

3) Apple would need to organize some type of press event in an incredibly short time for it to be in May. This makes no sense with WWDC just around the corner.

1) That's a guess, not a fact.

2) Why would retail employees need two weeks training... particularly considering the iPhone's software 2.0 has been basically publicly available for months? We're not talking about a new device, we're talking about an upgrade to a current device. Regardless of how exciting the changes are Apple probably won't ever release a device upgrade that took more than 30 minutes of playing with - particularly by someone that works for Apple - to be able to know enough selling points. Not to mention the hype for the iPhone already, including the next version being released, will probably mean that most employees will just be helping getting them out the door much more than actually having to convince people to buy. :)

MG's are used to getting training paperwork the day of availability. Trust me, employees and stores will be ready to sell the next iPhone with very little additions or changes with the one exception being their actual physical presence in the store.

3) Organization for a large press event can be done behind the scenes quite well. It's not as though the press will not show up if they get an invitation the day of.

4) WWDC is not "just around the corner" with respect to iPhone availability. That's the big point of this article: there aren't any iPhones for sale. That's not anything less than a huge deal.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Here are the facts:

I have been wondering.

Who says the AT&T vacation block has anything to do with Apple?

robbents99

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2001
Directly under the sun....now.
If something else did come out at WWDC, then a filing with the FCC would have happened already or should be happening soon, right? My memory is hazy, has there been any filings lately?

I agree with the whole "something on tuesday" vibe, no way they'd let consumers go without iphones for 30 days.

And, I agree with the entire "don't buy anything until after WWDC" vibe. You buy anything now and you're just digging yourself into a hole. Same reason why I won't be buying a new Macbook pro until October-ish. Hold short and wait for them to release revisions.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I have been wondering.

Who says the AT&T vacation block has anything to do with Apple?

People are speculating because the the announcement mentions a exciting product launch.

Also AT&T did the exact same thing during last years iphone launch.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
One point I'd make on this... on what I still think to be an off-chance that we see the next iPhone released (or even announced) this week, if a new device were also to be released at WWDC it would not be a 1.5x iPhone size handheld device, it would be a full on tablet computer or something else very different. I feel that the differences between an iPhone and basically a larger, "more professional" iPhone are way too few to have a release date separated only by a month.

Recall that just recently Apple has been touting the 2.0 FW upgrades to be the business man's dream phone upgrade with Exchange support along with tons more software capabilities. If the next iPhone were followed a month later with the 'professional iPhone' you basically neuter all of your own claims that the iPhone is the perfect device for smart phone users.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
This all is so odd to me.

I wonder if the 3G iPhone releases this month what features will it come with and will anything be different that will affect developers? Will it be announced this month and then released next month before or after WWDC?

I don't know what to think...

Walter P Henson

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
What about in order to make room for some tablet type laptop they just drop MB and MBP and come out with a unified laptop to help keep from cannibalizing their market with the MBA and prospective tablet. Sounds like a sound move to me, there could be multiple specs for the new laptops...or not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.