3G iPhone name?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fonzijr1964, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Did anyone else notice the fact it is called the "iPhone3G" all over the apple web site and not just the iPhone. Could this mean another non 3G iPhone perhaps just a thought

Note: the "3G" part is written in the same type of font as Air on macBook air.

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I think they use "3G" to differentiate it from the current gen iPhone.

3. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

one thought - they can't really call the next iphone the third generation iphone, even though it technically will be. damn :)

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I think it's REALLY silly for Apple to call it the iPhone 3G, when people either (A) don't know what 3G means, or (B) know very well what it means, and it's sooooooooo nothing special (old technology) at this point.

Though I realize they want to stress the fact that it's 3G, since that was the biggest complaint about what the iPhone was missing. But still...couldn't they come up with some other name that represents faster speeds? :rolleyes:

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

True...but "iPhone 2" looks kinda stupid.

Hmm, "iPhone Jaguar" (let's follow Mac! XD)

Yeah, most people don't know what 3G entails. Some even think it has to do with the programs running faster (processor/RAM).

6. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

ok how about just iPhone. I just thought it may mean there could be a "Pro" or "Nano" coming soon

7. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

I got it... 'iPhone Zippy' just like how Steve Jobs described it

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

This is no different than any other product name descriptions Apple has ever done.

iPod, iPod Click Wheel, iPod Color, iPod Video... etc.

The name will always be iPhone, the "full name" iPhone 3G is more a distinction than anything, used primarily in-house.

9. Padraig macrumors 6502a

For me, it's akin to Sony rolling out a new TV and calling it, well, 'Colour TV'. It's not something they should need to highlight.

10. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah

11. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

In one of my classes today, people were talking about the new iPhone and they were saying...

P1) Did you hear about the new iPhone?
    P2) No
    P1) It has 3 gigs
    P2) What does that mean?
    P1) It means it has 3 gigs of memory

I sat there just trying not to crack up. But it brings up a good point...

12. mark34 macrumors 6502a

that is awesome! too funny

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

And just a little bit sad. Let's hope the majority of people in the world are more up to date then these people, but I fear they dont...Oh well...:rolleyes:

14. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Lets all just call it Bob from now on. Saying iPhone 3G or 3G iPhone is just too complicated. :D

15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

who cares

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

iPhone Lightning?

We all know Apple is no magician when it comes to thinking of good names for their products, but its a pretty trivial complaint IMHO.

17. twist2b macrumors regular

It is called the "2nd Generation iPhone"
    the fact that it is a phone with 3G network capabilities has NOTHING to do with anything. Its simply a fact they are pushing for the HUGE amount of people that said the old iPhone had alot of call dropping. Though I think its nickname is deff "3GiPhone"

18. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

Fun fact for you here, my friends dad who I am close with who works with ATT told me that was the actual CodeName for the Iphone 3g, 'Project Bob'

19. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

LOL! :D Well, there you go, it's official then. From today on we shall call the new iPhone... BOB.

20. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I know the feeling with almost all computer products and this one alike. Next week I will have people saying "Have you seen he new iPhone???!!" - Man does that annoy me! same with the MacBook Air... They will come up with something that has completely nothing to do with 3G (such as memory) or say "I heard it means ......" and you will correct them, but they will argue "I don't think so." Then I roll my eyes and walk away. The name of the product for the iPhone 3G is ideal I think. What else could they have called it? - of course you can come of with a few, but from their perspective it was the best move.

21. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I've heard this from a lot of people. Apple had to put the 3G to distinguish it from the old phone because the physical difference aren't noticeable until you turn the phone around.

It's also creating massive confusion. People that know technology (somewhat) and don't are thinking it only has 3 GB's. Once it hits mainstream, the news gets on them, and people start showing them around people will realize, but right now without them knowing its a turn off.

22. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yep i hate people who are ignorant to the world around them.

23. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Why are you all making such a big deal out of this? Apple does this with every single product... It's just a means of distinguishing the differences as products are upgraded.

As I said above, all of the iPods have been called iPods, but the only product officially titled "iPod" and not "iPod ______" was this one:

[​IMG]

Then there was iPod Click Wheel, iPod Color, iPod Video, etc. It's a new name to distinguish it from the model previously, a practice that is far from new, but in fact standard procedure.

24. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yes, I think WE all know that. ;)

We're simple discussing the fact that of ALL the names Apple chose to distinguish this iPhone from the previous one, "3G" is a potentially confusing one -- as evidenced by some of the things people in this thread stated they overheard.

Lots of people on this forum and elsewhere made fun of the "MacBook Air" name, and now they're making fun of "MobileMe" -- but as silly as those names sound, they get the point across VERY well.

"3G" just doesn't get the same point across, apparently. To most people, it doesn't mean anything. Some people think it's a 3rd generation moniker, or it means 3 gigabytes. That's a problem...

25. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Okay okay... just too many people sounding like they think the product is no longer called "iPhone" but "iPhone 3G." Not the case.