MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Electronic Weekly's David Manners writes (via CNet.com.au) about a revealing encounter he had with Luigi Licciardi, executive vice president for technology and operations at Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM). Licciardi confirms what everyone essentially knows: that TIM will be delivering a 3G version of the iPhone to Italy. Licciardi, however, actually gives us a solid timeframe for the launch:
“We will be selling an iPhone with 3G capability next month”, Luigi Licciardi, executive vice president for technology and operations at TIM told me yesterday evening on a bus taking us out into the desert for dinner following the first day of the International Electronics Forum 2008 in Dubai.
"Next month" conveniently coincides with Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC), which takes place from June 9th to June 13th in San Francisco, CA.

This latest quote adds to a laundry list of evidence pointing to an imminent release of the 3G-capable iPhone. While the quote does not necessarily preclude an earlier May launch in the U.S., the rest of the available evidence points to June:

- Latest iPhone 2.0 Firmware Has 3G On/Off Option
- AT&T Blocking Out June 15-July 12 for 3G iPhone Launch?
- Foxconn to Deliver 3G capable iPhones Beginning in June

Meanwhile, Research in Motion today announced their first 3G-capable mobile phone, the BlackBerry Bold. While the Bold will also not available until this summer, Apple has clearly targeted RIM as a competitor to the iPhone.

Finally, just this morning additional iPhone coverge for Singapore, India, the Philippines and Australia has been announced by SingTel, Bharti Airtel, Globe and Optus. This means two carriers will be providing coverage in India and Australia. No additional details were provided in the press release.

Article Link

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
Thrilled to have the iPhone sold through multiple carriers in Australia. I'm wondering if Telstra or 3 will jump on the bandwagon as well,

Comment

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Yep, now it's just a matter of time before the world has some sweet 3G multi-touch. With the iPhone in that many countries by the end of the year, I'd be surprised if sales aren't well past 10 million by then. :apple:

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Thrilled to have the iPhone sold through multiple carriers in Australia. I'm wondering if Telstra or 3 will jump on the bandwagon as well,

They'd be mad not to. If it supports 850MHz 3G we'd have the fastest, widest ranging iPhone around. Of course we'd be paying Telstra for that so we'd have a sweet iPhone but no house or car or whatever else you'd need to sell to pay Telstra for the privilege.

Comment

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
They'd be mad not to. If it supports 850MHz 3G we'd have the fastest, widest ranging iPhone around. Of course we'd be paying Telstra for that so we'd have a sweet iPhone but no house or car or whatever else you'd need to sell to pay Telstra for the privilege.

True. However they've been downright rude about the iPhone in the past (the "Apple should stick to their knitting" comment amongst others) and may feel that iTunes on the iPhone will be competition for their own mobile music service.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass it up.

Comment

torero

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2005
geez arn, anything going on with the rest of apple's product line? the iphone stuff has taken over your front page...

Comment

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Man, Steve is going to be pissed with him!

(Angry pissed, not the other kind :D)

Comment

sachxn

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
two are better

Two carriers in India is a good news for customers here. Can't wait to see the launch here.

Sachin

Comment

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks for coming and watching our show!
Game Over...

And so another Apple mystery ends.
And people got their hopes up for May from one small rumor site. :rolleyes:

Ah well... The longer they wait and the bigger a deal they make the 3G iPhone launch ----- the better it will be.

Good News In The Long Run I Suppose,
TheYankees1903 :apple:

P.S. Assuming this reporters from Electronic Weekly and CNET is not misquoting (which I truly doubt) and this cell phone company guy really did make this quote he broke his NDA with Apple. There has got to be some sanction against him or his company. I would not be surprised if things start to snowball now and some other "leaks" start to emerge from people at either Apple, or their carriers, who have some position of authority and their respective company.

What do you think?

Comment
J

jmadlena

geez arn, anything going on with the rest of apple's product line? the iphone stuff has taken over your front page...

Apparently not. Can you really expect anything else right before the much anticipated 3G iPhone is released (next?) month?

MacRumors doesn't make up the rumors, so don't bash it when they aren't to your liking. They are rumors after all.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
And so another Apple mystery ends.
And people got their hopes up for May from one small rumor site. :rolleyes:

As I said in the story, just because Italy isn't getting the iPhone until June doesn't necessarily mean the U.S. is waiting until then too. That being said, the overwhelming evidence points to June.

arn

Comment

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
As I said in the story, just because Italy isn't getting the iPhone until June doesn't necessarily mean the U.S. is waiting until then too. That being said, the overwhelming evidence points to June.

arn

I know arn (and appreciate the response) but all I was really trying to say was that for the most part we know what is going to happen. Look like a worldwide - same day - launch in June (probably the 27th and if you made me pick a time I would say 6 o'clock P.M.).

Is that a fair statement arn?

TheYankees1903 :apple:

Comment

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Apple?? Making a 3g iPhone?? Who woulda thunk that!??? Why don't we ever hear about these things??!!!??????

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I know arn (and appreciate the response) but all I was really trying to say was that for the most part we know what is going to happen. Look like a worldwide - same day - launch in June (probably the 27th and if you made me pick a time I would say 6 o'clock P.M.).
Is that a fair statement arn?

Seems possible. :) But then no U.S. iPhone stock for almost 2 months?

arn

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm expecting US/UK releases Real Soon Now™ followed by the other countries in June. Vodafone NZ has pretty much confirmed that it'll be June here.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.