3G iPhone to be Sold in Italy in June 2008

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 11, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Electronic Weekly's David Manners writes (via CNet.com.au) about a revealing encounter he had with Luigi Licciardi, executive vice president for technology and operations at Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM). Licciardi confirms what everyone essentially knows: that TIM will be delivering a 3G version of the iPhone to Italy. Licciardi, however, actually gives us a solid timeframe for the launch:
    "Next month" conveniently coincides with Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC), which takes place from June 9th to June 13th in San Francisco, CA.

This latest quote adds to a laundry list of evidence pointing to an imminent release of the 3G-capable iPhone. While the quote does not necessarily preclude an earlier May launch in the U.S., the rest of the available evidence points to June:

- Latest iPhone 2.0 Firmware Has 3G On/Off Option
    - AT&T Blocking Out June 15-July 12 for 3G iPhone Launch?
    - Foxconn to Deliver 3G capable iPhones Beginning in June

Meanwhile, Research in Motion today announced their first 3G-capable mobile phone, the BlackBerry Bold. While the Bold will also not available until this summer, Apple has clearly targeted RIM as a competitor to the iPhone.

Finally, just this morning additional iPhone coverge for Singapore, India, the Philippines and Australia has been announced by SingTel, Bharti Airtel, Globe and Optus. This means two carriers will be providing coverage in India and Australia. No additional details were provided in the press release.

Article Link

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

3. Phormic macrumors regular

Thrilled to have the iPhone sold through multiple carriers in Australia. I'm wondering if Telstra or 3 will jump on the bandwagon as well,

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Yep, now it's just a matter of time before the world has some sweet 3G multi-touch. With the iPhone in that many countries by the end of the year, I'd be surprised if sales aren't well past 10 million by then. :apple:

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They'd be mad not to. If it supports 850MHz 3G we'd have the fastest, widest ranging iPhone around. Of course we'd be paying Telstra for that so we'd have a sweet iPhone but no house or car or whatever else you'd need to sell to pay Telstra for the privilege.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Last time Steve eats spaghetti with that guy.

7. Phormic macrumors regular

True. However they've been downright rude about the iPhone in the past (the "Apple should stick to their knitting" comment amongst others) and may feel that iTunes on the iPhone will be competition for their own mobile music service.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass it up.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Telstra made an announcement this morning. Coming in June.

10. tommo macrumors newbie

11. torero macrumors member

geez arn, anything going on with the rest of apple's product line? the iphone stuff has taken over your front page...

12. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Man, Steve is going to be pissed with him!

(Angry pissed, not the other kind :D)

13. sachxn macrumors newbie

two are better

Two carriers in India is a good news for customers here. Can't wait to see the launch here.

Sachin

14. TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

Thanks for coming and watching our show!
    Game Over...

And so another Apple mystery ends.
    And people got their hopes up for May from one small rumor site. :rolleyes:

Ah well... The longer they wait and the bigger a deal they make the 3G iPhone launch ----- the better it will be.

Good News In The Long Run I Suppose,
    TheYankees1903 :apple:

P.S. Assuming this reporters from Electronic Weekly and CNET is not misquoting (which I truly doubt) and this cell phone company guy really did make this quote he broke his NDA with Apple. There has got to be some sanction against him or his company. I would not be surprised if things start to snowball now and some other "leaks" start to emerge from people at either Apple, or their carriers, who have some position of authority and their respective company.

What do you think?

15. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

3G is obviously upon us. Now the iPhone mini and the tablet like one!

16. jmadlena Guest

Apparently not. Can you really expect anything else right before the much anticipated 3G iPhone is released (next?) month?

MacRumors doesn't make up the rumors, so don't bash it when they aren't to your liking. They are rumors after all.

17. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

As I said in the story, just because Italy isn't getting the iPhone until June doesn't necessarily mean the U.S. is waiting until then too. That being said, the overwhelming evidence points to June.

arn

18. TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

I know arn (and appreciate the response) but all I was really trying to say was that for the most part we know what is going to happen. Look like a worldwide - same day - launch in June (probably the 27th and if you made me pick a time I would say 6 o'clock P.M.).

Is that a fair statement arn?

19. bpa1093 macrumors member

20. iSlave macrumors 6502

Apple?? Making a 3g iPhone?? Who woulda thunk that!??? Why don't we ever hear about these things??!!!??????

21. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Wait, you're telling me that RIM hasn't made a Blackberry with 3G until now? :eek:

22. dgarte macrumors newbie

Maybe Apple will introduce the iphone 3G tomorrow tuesday

23. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Seems possible. :) But then no U.S. iPhone stock for almost 2 months?

arn

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm expecting US/UK releases Real Soon Now™ followed by the other countries in June. Vodafone NZ has pretty much confirmed that it'll be June here.

25. TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

True... The price they pay for underestimating demand. No?