3G iPhone to Incorparate iChat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShaunC, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ShaunC macrumors member

just thought i'd through that into the air

wouldnt see why not..

apple are clever like that.

any views?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

There will be plenty of chat apps for the iPhone...
    it has already been confirmed that there will be an AIM app...

all applications will work with the current gen iPhone too.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Sounds amazing. Can't believe anyone hasn't suggested this yet.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep.

Personally, I would like to see Skype.

6. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

yeah i know, i was searching through the forum and couldnt belive no-one else has come up with it

surely if it doesnt though, skype will release add on software?

i dont currently use iChat but if it was a major part of the iPhone.. im sure i'd be persuaded

7. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I don't know about a specific thread, but I know I've read posts about this NUMEROUS times.

8. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

I hope chat applications will incorporate hotmail contacts, i love iChat but I only have a handful of gmail and .mac contacts, whereas everyone else i know has a hotmail address and on messenger.

Also, what about something like blackberry messenger? it would be awesome to have a chatapp just for iphone users, and maybe search for other users according to interests etc

9. neven macrumors 6502a

I doubt that Hotmail or Windows Live Messenger support is coming to iChat. For the record, I don't know anyone on either of those networks.

So, your friends are spread over four networks already, and now you want another one? :)

10. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

iChat on the iPhone has been discussed more times than anyone would care to count...

Here's one of my posts regarding iPhone iChat from almost two weeks ago. It was in reply to someone stating that there weren't enough iPhones to warrant iChat on the iPhone. Of course, as my response suggests, wouldn't you be connected to all iChatters...

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

It has gained massive appeal abroad, especially in Europe. Support will probably come through a third party.

12. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

seriously, here in europe, practically everyone uses a hotmail address to connect to MSN messenger. there's virtually no AOL presence here the way there is in America. thats why its so frustrating to have an amazing application like iChat and not being able to use it.

Hopefully a third party App will solve the problem!:D

13. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

its hard enough trying to sync a hotmail account to .mail

iChat wont be half as effective for anything other than the types of account apple allow.

turn it sideways so that you could have a 3 way chat with 2 other contacts?

NOT HAVING TO PAY FOR IT?

come on apple... step up

i 2nd that

other than the email address your internet service provider gives you.. i dont know anyone who dusnt use hotmail/msn address

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've never owned or used a hotmail/msn address. :eek:

16. Valmor macrumors member

Let's be real here though, I'm sure iChat for iPhone would do a better job than anything AOL puts out.

17. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Ooh, Adium for the iPhone would be very nice!

18. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

The SDK prohibits VOIP applications, therefore no Skype.

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

You do realize that the topic of the thread is "iChat" which means only one company can use that name: Apple. And Apple has a non-limited SDK. Different than the current ones. Besides. Apple themselves said they'll allow VOIP, just only on Wi-Fi.

Anyway, the reason why there probably is no thread on this is because its assumed that Apple will come out with one (according to the SDK agreement, even though AOL has AIM, Apple can still make an iChat)

MSN is probably the most popular throughout the world except the United States (and even then its fourth to AIM, Gtalk, and Yahoo). I'm guessing that if they're gonna leave one thing out from Chat if it comes, will be Skype or Yahoo, only because Yahoo's kinds slow with things (their Yahoo Answers fails even with an iPhone [site can crash when answering. They can optimize for mobile phones in five minutes...yet even their full site is buggy]) and Skype cause I'm guessing Skype will come out with their own thing rather than incorporate that into Chat.

20. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda hoping Trillian will come back for the iPhone, but since they STILL aren't out of the Astra Alpha I won't be holding my breath.

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

there has been a fair amount of previous/current threads on Chat/IM/ A/V chat - but they've clustered around several threads. There are a few linked to the actual patents that have been released regarding IM/Chat/video conferencing.

Not easy for the OP to find if using the search engine here.
    This thread is overlapping an already running one at
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=491171.

22. frosse macrumors 6502a

As a lot of ppl have said, AOL practically doesnt exist in Europe. Here its all Hotmail / Live Messenger, though I use Gmail to connect to Live Messenger.

You can really tell by the name: AOL, America Online.

Please check out this AOL subscription chart @ Wikipedia:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/61/Aol_subscribers_Q201-Q407.png

Doesnt look to bright for now AOL LLC.

I'd love to see Messenger in iPhone 'siChat but since its not even in OSX I seriously doubt it.

23. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

for this product to be an international success though..

surely compatilbility issues need to be addressed?

will the 3G model have improved security against unlocking to all networks?

24. neven macrumors 6502a

I'm not trying to make a subjective judgment here, just raising some facts:

Isn't it Europe, and indeed the rest of the world, that gets their panties in a bunch every time the iTunes store takes its sweet time bringing something to non-US markets? Isn't iPhone only slowly making its way across the pond?

What I'm saying isn't "you should use AIM" or "we're more important." What I'm saying is, Apple is a US company with a long history of focusing on the US market primarily.

This will, of course, change, but arguments of this sort - "we all use Hotmail here" - aren't terribly convincing if you're trying to argue that Apple WILL do it soon.

25. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Hotmail was the first online email program I used and still use. Must have signed up in like '96.