3G Owners... wasn't 2.2.1 way better than 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jul 2, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't know about you, but my iPhone 3G seems to lag so much on 3.0. I miss the days of 2.2.1 where everything was pretty speedy.

Also, 2.2.1 had a better UI and it just worked really well. So well in fact, there was almost nothing to complain about. The UI seemed to move smoother too.

Anyone think Apple just optimized 3.0 for the 3GS?

I mean, the iPhone 3GS has updated UI elements and the 3G still uses the old ones... even 3.1 on the 3G still uses the old UI elements. Here's an example below:

This is 2.2.1 and 3.0 on iPhone 3G
    [​IMG]

This is 3.0 on iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS: Pay attention to the change on the right side of the "Directions" button to see the difference. It's still the same in 3.1 by the way. The image with the blue location button is the 3GS.
    [​IMG]

I would say that Apple stopped caring about the iPhone 3G and only cares about their newest iPhone.

2. Killquake macrumors member

I have a 2G and it runs beautifuly on 3.0, faster than on 2.2.1, so no I don't think they specified it just for the 3GS

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I wish I shared your experience. my 2G has been nothing but trouble since the update to 3.0… but I guess that's the way it is.

4. Killquake macrumors member

Really? Whats wrong with it?
    Mine was really nice when i updated it but then i jailbroke it, which i got scared because everytime i do it the phone lags horribly but it runs alot faster

5. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I don't know if it was because of 3.0, but my 3G after installing 3.0 was really sluggish when typing. (It was in note pad I think)

I could type 3 or 4 letters with no click or any display, then all of a sudden the keys would be recognised and the flyout things would quickly show.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That is what is wrong with it. :) Lags. Oh and a site like py.macrumors.com crashes like crazy.

Exactly my problem. Laggy like hell. And then you think you have not hit the key so you do it again… only for the damn thing to jump into life a second or two later.
    Not good.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

When I was reading this I was thinking to myself "This really sounds like TheSpaz, I wonder if we have a new one" and then I realized it was.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I find the keyboard in 3.0 to be way better.

I do notice some laginess that I don't quite remember in 2.2.1 - but I'm sure 3.0.1 (or even 3.1) is just around the corner.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My phone works "much" better since OS 3.0. Speaker is louder, calls don't go to a black screen that I have to do a restart, etc. I haven't noticed any difference in speed.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Now tell the truth...did you just make this thread to show off your ability to make animated .gif's?

On topic: They did create the software to focus on the the 3GS. Why wouldn't they? They have to move forward. Theres no point in developing software specifically for an older technology and just make sure it works on the newer technology...that brings you nowhere. At least they made it capable of running on their older devices. You don't complain when a new operating system comes out for your computer and your computers hardware is outdated and it doesn't operate as fast do you?

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Has anyone else noticed that when launching third party apps, the launch animation is too quick? What I mean is... the springboard seems to completely go black and the launch animation goes too fast. It doesn't do that on my iPhone 3GS or the stock Apple apps.

12. just21 macrumors member

I got better 3g signal on 2.2.1, seem to be constantly on gprs/edge now. Hopefully 3.1 will rectify this. This is both with a 3g and 3gs

13. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am in the exact same boat just add dropping tons of calls to that and missing calls.

14. Stephenw macrumors newbie

I have a 16 GB 3G. I've had terrible performance since upgrading to 3.0. Random glitches across the board. Safari crashes several times a day. Keyboard glitches (I type and there is a delay before the letters appear). Apps are slow to load. All around laggy performance. :mad:

I've tried a backup and restore, no help.

I had flawless performance before the upgrade.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You know, after some time with 3.0, I have to agree that it seems buggier and laggier. The spell check doesn't seem as effective, either.

Hopefully 3.1 is a good update.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Not a 3G owner but before I upgraded to 3GS I had the 2G and I found that it ran a lot better on 3.0 then 2.2.1

17. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Hey,

3.0 on iphone 3g is a lot slower than 2.2.1 but is better than 2.2.1 because of the new features. 3.0 on the 3gs is extremely fast.

18. ukdy macrumors member

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I enjoy some of the new features, but spell check def. is not working as well. But then again, I'm not addicted to my iPhone.

20. BMac702 macrumors regular

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yeah. Same lag with me. Big time. But only when first starting anything. After starting up any app it takes about 4 seconds to catch up, then it's ok.
    Even waking up the phone. I'll press the home button and then I have to wait for the phone to register the finger swipe.

2.2.1 didn't have this lag.

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

In terms of battery life...yes.

Otherwise...no.

23. macdim macrumors 6502

Updated UI elements?????

OH NO!!!!!! THE 3G has been forgotten by Apple!!!! The buttons at the bottom of the maps app have slightly different brightness levels!!!!!

Really? C'mon now... I'm not one to flame and your thread isn't totally baseless, but don't bring up meaningless UI issues to show that Apple has abandoned the 3G.

I think the 3G has suffered speed-wise, but I'm sure it will get better in subsequent updates (as it always does).

Oh, and how many companies support their old products (in the case of the 2G, 2 years soon) like Apple does? Not many...

This is not fanboyism, it's common sense.

24. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

my 3g: laggy laggy laggy, i can make it freeze while email is connecting to my mailboxes and i try to put the email in landscape mode, photos app has crashed, or i lock the phone and then try to unlock it and the last photo is still showing but with the slider showing, weird phone issues (honestly, too hard ot put into words) and again, lag. :mad:

my fiance's 3g: she can't text someone without it pinging back saying something about a 10 digit number, but she can call the individual just fine (with and without area code), lag and erased her scores on unblock me free (more of an app issue than an :apple: issue, tho)

i'm STRONGLY anticipating the lag liberation from 3.1