3G Owners: When are you eligible to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by staccato83, Mar 18, 2009.

1. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

So, I remember checking my AT&T account online in January and it said I was eligible to upgrade on 12/12/09. Then I go to check tonight and now it says I am eligible on 3/12/10. :confused:

I bought my 3G the first day that it came out, so I am just wondering when all of you bought your 3G and the date it says you are eligible to upgrade.

Thanks

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Same, 3/12/10.. bought it as well on the first day so don't panic OP :rolleyes:

3. staccato83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I'm not panicking... I'm just curious as to why the date would change.

4. Bullox macrumors newbie

2-3 months in advance of your contract's ending is normal. the first date was probably a typo.

5. Morphkid03 macrumors newbie

....2 years.... :(

Got mine on the Best Buy discount after having my old cell (3 year old Motorola RAZR) basically die on me and being stranded without a phone.

6. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

When they launched the iPhone 3G, anyone who had the iPhone could upgrade regardless of how long was left on their contract, so I wouldn't worry.

At least that was what happened on O2.

7. Morphkid03 macrumors newbie

But by upgrade do you mean software or hardware? I know I can get the software, it would be nice to get the hardware without the big cost of getting one mid-contract.

8. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I mean hardware. The software is always free, but on O2 they basically cancelled a previous contract if and when you chose to upgrade to a 3G. Depending on the contract, that might cost money of course. I think there was a condition, like you had to upgrade in the first 2 months after release.

9. Morphkid03 macrumors newbie

....Are you freaking serious?

Because, if that's true, you've made me a very happy girl indeed.

If the cost is not astronomical (ie it costs under 200 bucks) I'd love to get the new iPhone..

10. Jowl macrumors 6502

Don't forget this is O2 in the UK - who seem a lot better carrier that AT&T.

Also, there were no subsidies on the first iPhone so that may have helped. I'm not convinced that O2 will offer the same again - though it would be nice to upgrade my iPhone if the new one has a lot more features.

11. Morphkid03 macrumors newbie

I see. Hmm.
    Well it would be awesome to be able to get the hardware... But I will be satisfied with the software, it DOES have MMS which I've really wanted/needed lately.

12. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I agree with you. The 3G iPhone was offered as an upgrade to existing iPhone users on the basis they had:

1. Already paid out-right for the first iPhone so the contract was not subsidising the cost, so it didn't cost O2 anything to upgrade you.
    2. Reset their contract counter, so the fresh 18 months started when they upgraded.

I can't see O2 doing the same thing again, they would be losing money big time.

But what I can see is a few lucky people slipping through the net and getting some kinda deal where they effectively do get the new iPhone, as O2 tend to be very good at giving the consumer what they want if they really argue enough and have enough real backing behind them, this is how I got my iPhone 3G to begin with, I was only 6 months into an 18 month contract with an XDA.

I would love to be proved wrong though and to be given maybe a compromise, such as a small payment and increase in contract length, but not as much as cancelling and starting afresh.

13. citrate macrumors 6502

o2 messed up and I am now on a rolling iPhone contract with them. My contract was due to expire 02/10 but actully expired THIS February! :D

14. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ooooo the envious things that spring to mind after hearing that!!!

Lucky! Just remember with great power comes great responsibility!!

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Exactly.
    That was the reason that made me sit out the 2008 3G iPhone…

My O2 contract (original November 2007 iPhone) is up for renewal.

So, Apple: Ready when you are.
    :D

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

For whatever it's worth, I was in the AT&T store yesterday and the saleam I was speaking with said that iPhones are eligible for upgrade a year after the contract began. I had been asking him about getting a BB and he said my best bet was to wait until a year after my contrat began and get a new phone then, subsidized. Not sure I believe home too much though.

17. w0nker macrumors member

w0nker

I looked on my account and it shows that I can upgrade exactly 1 year to the day of buying my 3g. (7/23/09) Wooooot!!!!!!

18. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Can't you upgrade any time you want? That's how it has been with every phone and every carrier I've had for the last 12 years or so.

Is the iPhone different? If so, I'll be kinda pissed.

19. acarney macrumors 6502

Mine is saying 12/12/09 and the only two phones I've had on ATT are the first gen iPhone and second gen, both bought on release days. The only time I have messed with my plan was to add extra lines or move to a more expensive text package, which I was always told does not reset the contract date for my line.

I figure I'll start yelling at ATT sometime in May just to get everything sorted out in case a new phone is released in July.

20. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

3/12/10 for me and my sister.
    bought our 3gs on launch day.
    at&t usually changes our dates though.
    because i remember 2 months after I bought my 2g iPhone (Sept. 07)
    they had me eligible for an upgrade.

i know there are factors that determine when you get eligible.
    (Avg monthly Bill amount, how many phones are bought on your account, and in good standing.) thats what at least my cousin who works for at&t tells us.

21. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Not until summer 2010. I just got my iPhone in January. I shall be very happy to download 3.0 this summer, then get a shiny new one next year.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is what I think will happen if a new phone is released over summer. You'll have the option to enter into a new 2-year contract with a new phone at the subsidized price.

23. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I asked O2 via their web-contact form about the possibility of an upgrade whilst still within contract :

"Currently I'm unable to inform you that our existing iPhone 3G customers will be able to early upgrade to the new iPhone or not. Once we'll receive any information about this, we'll then update it on our website. You can keep visiting our website to get the latest update on iPhone by visiting the link below:"

Doesn't really help at all.

:rolleyes:

24. seand1111 macrumors regular

25. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

It doesn't, but nice try. At least they got back to you.

Mind you they're probably getting a fair few of these questions now.

I wouldn't have thought O2 would "update their website" until after the next iPhone has been released in the UK or at least maybe a few weeks before, either way we're not going to find out until much nearer the time.