3G restrictions! Ugh.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozzyman500, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Why can we download 120MB albums over 3G but our app limit is only 20MB? That's ****ed up if you ask me. I normally don't buy albums from iTunes but I tried it today and all went smoothly on 3G speeds. I don't see what the big deal is.

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

3. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

Apps are single files. Albums are made up of songs where each song is a single file. I'm sure if you encountered a single song that was great than 20MB then you wouldn't be able to download it. The 20MB download limit refers to individual files.

4. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

What I'm saying is 3G can handle 120MB downloads fine. I don't get the big deal.

And to the poster above that, I don't like to jailbreak thanks.

5. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

But it is not seen as a 120MB download, it is seen as twelve 10MB downloads, or however the tracks break down on the album. Be happy, the limit before the iPad version of the iPhone OS was released to developers was 10MB. Which meant that if you had a song over 10MB, you had to be on WIFI or download it in iTunes.

If your >20MB download it interrupted, your phone has to download it completely again. If your album download is interrupted, you only have to download was was not completed. If 5 out of 12 songs are completed, and your phone signal gets interrupted, you only have to download the remaining 7 songs, not the whole album again.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It really can't. It doesn't take many people maxing out a cell tower with that sort of download to stop people being able make or receive phone calls.

3G wasn't designed for this sort of network use. It's not a suitable protocol for a lot of this stuff, hence the problems.

Phazer

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes I do:)

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

we have been though this before

it's not a 3G thing or AT&T O2 or other service the original 10mb now 20mb comes from Apple. everybody deals with the 20mb limit. only answers are listed above. usually not hard to find wifi acces as well. ;)

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

...yeah, it would have to download the entire file again because nobody has ever created a download protocol with resume capability. :rolleyes:

10. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

Why the hell wouldn't you jailbreak?

11. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

It is able to resume, but I've had it hang before after losing signal and have had to wait til the next morning for it to be cleared up. It kept trying to download the app, but wasn't getting anywhere. Don't remember which app it was.

12. Vazzyb macrumors member

Vazzyb

ditto -

unless op has 3gs new boot - which wud be unfortunate :(

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes... I love that. Have for everything in my iPhone which uses data.