3G S Battery meter gone CRAZY!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Jun 28, 2009.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I was using the maps app and the compass was turned on to help me find my way. It was actually doing a pretty good job but my batter was dropping really fast.

I recieved two phone calls and multiple texts. My push is on and I'm signed into 4 accounts on Beejive. I looked down at my iPhone and the battery was 11%. I noticed I could feel the heat through the case. We were moving furniture outside in the heat.

I went to my car and put it on front of the A/C. About two minutes later it said 56%! what the hell! Is this a defect or is a lithium battery affected by heat that dramatically.

Any other stories like this? I might go talk to the Apple guys and see if I should get a replacement iPhone...

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Today, I'm going to test how long my battery will last from 100% to when it shuts off.

I turned off the battery percentage because it makes me anal seeing it go down by 1% every 10-20 minutes haha. When I'm done with this test, I'll turn it back on. (hella off topic haha)

That does seem weird that the battery is fluctuating that much. Do you have the white 3Gs that seems to have "overheating" problems? Probably best to take it to a Genius just in case tho.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

This kind of reminds me of the iPods, where you would be using it and the battery meter would go down, but when you lock it and the backlight turns off and you look at it 20 min later, the meter is a few notches back up lol.

I had the same type of experience last night, but it wasn't that warm, and the meter only went back up a couple percent (26% to 28% I think).

4. bowlby87 macrumors member

bowlby87

I'm not even going to turn the meter on, on mine, i will just become obsessed with checking it...

Currently in the process of running my 3GS dry to 0% then going to charge for 12 hours via the wall to condition the battery some people have said its improved there batterys and the accuracy of the battery meter. :)

5. vrillusions macrumors regular

vrillusions

good luck, I did the same thing and didn't work. Ended up doing a full restore friday without restoring from backup. sunday I saw the battery meter at 36%, browse the app store for something and then put phone to sleep. woke it a few mins later it was 80%. then I checked email and it dropped to 15% and dropping fast. I let it shut down and did about 10 hour charge with the phone turned off overnight. Hopefully it will fix this. I'm not happy at all with current "improved" battery times.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Have you calibrated the battery (google it) yet?

7. renault4 macrumors regular

My 3G displayed this "feature" every now and again. It looked to me like an application, I could never tell which one, seemed not to close properly, and keep hammering on the CPU. I thought it was most likely a GPS-enabled application. In any case, the battery would drain at a very fast rate--the phone would be at 10% by mid morning with little or no calls, and at the same time the unit would become noticeably warm, if not hot.

The only way I could clear it was to do a fresh install of the OS--that seemed to work.

--p