3G screen COMPLETELY smashed after relatively small drop (with a pic..)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpsimon, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jpsimon macrumors member

A little back story... I was there day one in line to get the original iPhone. I used it up until 2 weeks ago when a section of the screen stopped working to the touch. My original plan was to get the next variation of the iPhone but that obviously wasn't an option... So I had to jump ship and get the 3G.

My original iPhone took many hard falls over the past year.. the screen never cracked. I had the 3G for about 2 weeks now and I dropped it once from maybe 3-4 feet tops, picked it up and was extremely surprised at what had happened. It still works perfectly fine, the touch screen works as if it wasn't smashed.

:mad: hows that for luck.... what are my options on replacement? Do I have to buy a new iPhone at the full price? Will apple just fix this for less than the cost of a brand new one? i'm pretty pissed

[​IMG]

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Damn, that happened from 4 feet? :eek: What kind of surface did you drop it onto?

3. jpsimon thread starter macrumors member

I was sitting at a bar when it happened. The bar floor was wood not even a very hard surface!!

4. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

Get it fixed under warranty.. No modern phone should look like this after a 4 foot drop..

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple Care does not cover people not being able to keep from dropping their phone, and rightfully so. If it did then the cost of the iPhones would be even higher.

I have renters insurance with USAA and my policy covers thing like this so it might be something worth checking into.

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

what warranty covers you dropping your phone?

8. jpsimon thread starter macrumors member

I never said I shouldn't be held accountable. I'm trying to see what my options are: How much does apple charge to replace the screen... do i have to buy a new iPhone at the full price... etc etc

9. stevo8 macrumors 6502

They replaced one for me after dropping it. It didn't look like that though, there was just some color issues inside. Either way it's worth a shot to take it into a store.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you drop it, even from a short distance, and the angles are just right, it can happen. I guess it's also vaguely possible that yours came from a batch of badly tempered glass.

There have been numerous people who've gotten Apple to replace their iPhones under warranty for drop damage. To be honest, you might as well give them a try, just telling them the truth about the problem and asking if there's any way they can help you.

11. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Bestbuy has insurance that covers accedental damage

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Unless you've got insurance, you're probably better off just buying a replacement iPhone as the repair costs are usually prohibitive :(

13. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

You can try to have it exchanged under warrenty but worst case you should be able to get it repaired by Apple as an Out-of-Warrenty.

Apple will charge you the Out-of-Warranty Service Fee if Apple receives your original and determines that is not eligible for service under the warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan, but is repairable.

You pay $199 (8GB) / $299 (16GB) for an Out-of-Warrenty.

Dave

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

To the OP, I had the same luck with my original iPhone. Dropped several times from waist height or higher onto concrete/tile/whatever and never suffered any screen damage. Guess I'll TRY to be more careful with my 3G, per the advice of Sir Jones. :rolleyes:

16. jpsimon thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

I have a Vaja case coming in the mail... but it isn't here yet

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

he mentioned warranty, not insurance.

18. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I appreciate your response and I'm sorry to see your broken phone. Good luck on getting it repaired.

Eric

19. gnortenjones macrumors regular

Going to an Apple store and explaining the situation is probably your best bet. My experience with Apple is that their pretty lenient with their return/exchange policies, especially when it's for such a new purchase, though being dropped technically isn't covered.

If they decline, go to AT&T, and see if they'll replace it (less likely), and if not, if they'll waive the unsubsidized price (or whatever it's called), so you can replace it with the subsidized price.

Apart from that, you could just say you woke up, and it was broken.

20. gnortenjones macrumors regular

Another suggestion, if the local Apple store won't replace it, try sending an impassioned plea to various apple reps (known as an EECB "Executive Email Carpet Bomb").

I know Steve Jobs has a public email (obviously not answered by Jobs himself), and you could probably find a couple more (head of marketing, customer service, etc.).

Explain that the local store has declined your request, explain that your a poor college student (or whatever) who has been a loyal Apple customer, and would like to continue being so, and ask if there's anything that can be done to replace your phone.

I've heard stories of these types of email requests being quite effective. Just be polite, honest, and throw yourself on their mercy.

21. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Im calling your BS man

theres no way that happened from 4 feet

most of the phones dropped at that distance have a single impact point and then it spiders out from that point

that looks like it was tossed, hit the floor several times, stepped on, or you had fun cracking the glass several times after the inital breakage

my first iphone was dropped from about 4 feet ( didnt take any pics) but it looked like this

[​IMG]

that image is from a user who also dropped it from about 3-4 feet

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I've had iPhones since day one, and I've never dropped it. And i'm constantly pulling it out of my pocket.

23. Inukami macrumors 6502

Don't go spending a crazy amount for a new phone, just buy a new glass screen from ebay and do it yourself. I'm sure they have tutorials on the web to replace the screen-how to.

I think you can get the glass screen on ebay for $60.

24. filmmaker13 macrumors newbie

filmmaker13

I remember when I bought my Iphone they offered me insurance that covered everything but the screen. This was with the edge version of the iphone but i still thought that was funny because you were paying insurance for only %50 of the phone.

thats the best part about apple. they offer you great stuff but charge an arm and a leg for it.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93