3G Screen Concern

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Exsomos, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Exsomos macrumors newbie

This is not in regards to picture quality or tint.

I went to at&t today and peaked at the 3g's, my verizon contract is up in another month or so, so im just day dreaming for now.

But i got scared ******** today.

EVERY IPHONE THERE HAD MAJOR SCRATCHES ON THE SCREEN

Are they dummy models or somthing. NO, They were functinal and working phones???

Im totaly not kidding.

the first iphone had a glass screen that i have had friends and been to stores and all the 2g iphone NEVER had any marks of ANY kind on them.

I could run my fingernail along the screen and FEEL the scratches, like big ones. ALL OF THEM, they had 5 on display. IT WAS BAD!

Im not gonna spend 299 for me and 199 for the wife and leave verizon that i have no problem with for a cheap ass iphone.

I have an Ipod Touch and im not that easy on it and there is NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST NIC ON THE SCREEN, NOT ONE! the back of it is scratched to hell, but i dont look at the back so i dont care.

Does any of the lucky 3g owners have ANY, and i mean ANY scratches of any kind on there screen? IVE NEVER SEEN ONE ON THE TOUCH OR THE 2G.

Is the screen a different? is there some crap coating on it?

i was so excited and now i have crushed dreams...:(:(:(

please someone, tell me some good news...

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i have absolutely no scratches on my 3g's screen - just like a bazillion finger prints.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

My screen on my 1st gen iPhone was flawless the entire year I owned it and my 3G so far is definitely of equal quality. Are you sure that there were physical scratches on the floor models you saw? Sometimes when I get gunk on my phone, after I swipe my finger over it at times it can look like a scratch.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

No scratches here. My screen (and entire phone) is flawless.

You have to remember that those display models are completely abused, not just by potential owners checking it out, but also little kids and pranksters just playing around with the phones. I wouldn't take it to heart.

5. Chris3d macrumors newbie

Chris3d

My thoughts exactly.

6. Exsomos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the repsonses guys. Makes me feel little bit better.

But i am 100% sure that those 3g's were scratched as i mentioned, i could run my fingernail across the scratches and feel the indentation. no mistake. the backs of the phones looked better than the front!!!!

and it was all of them. i checked. they must of had some one with rocks scraping ALL of them or some thing...

im almost thinking about going into a different store and checking out some more. Or going back and asking one of the folks there, "what the heck!"

Im a veteran ipod touch owner. and i LOVE IT. really want the iphone.

Im not gonna buy one till i figure this out. ruined my day! lol!

7. Cadium macrumors member

I have owned an iPhone 3G since launch day and have zero problems with it, no scratches whatsoever on the back or on the glass display. As many have already mentioned, models that are put out on display are abused and do not represent the quality of the product that you will be receiving.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

If you have an iPod Touch, then you should know how good the screen is, because it's the same quality. All this talk of shoddy build quality, are just a few isolated incidences. I had an iPod Touch, 1st gen iPhone and now a 3G. All were/are perfect.
    Display models in stores of any device are always abused. And there are always a few dodgy items with any device. It's just that we always hear about those and not the vast majority of perfect models. :)

9. sye46 macrumors member

Just put on a screen protector.

end of thread/

10. shortlex macrumors member

shortlex

funny that you said that, I got two scratches on my iPhone 3G, faint ones!
    I got paranoid so I went out and bought a screen protector.

Kinda disappointed about screen scratches, what happened to glass?

P.S "and no not end of tread, I too wanna know why 3G it now more prone to scratches?"

11. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Sure, put one if it makes you feel good, but they do not scratch with normal use I have the 1st gen since launch day and the 3G and they are botlh perfect.

12. illutionz macrumors 65816

Most probably there are a lot of pricks in the store running keys through the screen :mad:

Anyway, if you ever gotten an iPhone, just get Best Skins Ever or Bodyguardz front and back film protector which should protect your phone from scratch resulted by regular use (unless you run keys or nail over it)

13. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

No scratches on my 3g or my first gen, but i do use a screen protector. Nothing is totally scratch proof, but u can judge the screen for scratches in a store where people are abusing these things all day.

14. phaggard macrumors regular

Imagine how many people handled those phones as they decided to get in line or not.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Neither the original iPhone nor the 3G are "scratch proof" - both will scratch under the right conditions.
    I had a couple of minor scratches on my original caused by putting it in my pocket with my car keys just once.
    I don't have any scratches on my 3G screen, but I haven't repeated the mistake (and no, I'm not going to try it :D)

16. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I had a first gen iPhone for a year, no screen protectors, no cases... not a SINGLE scratch. Amazing really.

17. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

18. M Powered macrumors regular

I had my treo 700P for over 2 years without any screen protector, it accompanied to my beach photo shoots and the only time I manage to scratch it was with a dirty stylus.

3G screen is hardened glass, so its even more durable. I always wipe my fingers of any debris before I operate my phone.

19. Exsomos thread starter macrumors newbie

Exacty, what did happen to the Glass?!?!? i swear that **** is plastic....

Seriously...

Does any one have a ipod touch and an iphone 3g (not 2g) tell me you dont see, hear, and feel a difference in the screen. I swear its plastic...

20. Chris3d macrumors newbie

Chris3d

I've had my iPod touch since launch and have even gone as far as to scratch test it with keys. Not a single scratch on it. I have never seen an iPhone with a scratched screen...ever.

I still say the models you saw in the store are abused daily...not something you should judge the product by. I would have never bought a NDS or PSP if I judged them from the in-store models.

21. kleo macrumors regular

I have a few light scratches on the screen of my iPhone 3G. I have no idea how they got there i just keep it in my pocket and have never dropped it :(

22. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

My phone screen is perfect.

However, if my wife, with her freaking diamond bling gets near it, I have no doubt she would scratch the crap out of it.

Maybe those phones have been damaged by the ladies and their jewelery?

23. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Things in your pockets get scratched?? WHO KNEW?

24. Exsomos thread starter macrumors newbie

So i went into the store again today. This time i got into it with the guy in the store. Im not that kind of a person either. But i talked with him and he had a 2g iphone that he owned.

He and i had my Touch his iphone 2g and a store 3g.

My findings:

*If you press on the screen on the 3g you can see the screen dip in and the lcd tweak its colors just like pressing on the screen of a laptop screen.
    *Do that on the 2g or the Touch, it must be pressed alot harder for it to feel like it is dipping in and to have the LCD react to the pressure.
    *The guy at the store says that that is beacuse the 3g is slimmer and the screen is closer to the glass because of this. (I dont buy that being the reason)

*If u take and tap on the screen with a key on all 3, they 3g makes a totally different sound than the 2g or touch.
    *They guy says that again its a toally different build and that is why.

Look people, i know that stuff scratches and its a phone and there are screen prtectors and all that crap.

BUT!!!!

How i feel in regards to this is that they are making false statement about the new phone.

1. This is not the same screen as the touch or even the 2g.
    2. The quality of the device IMHO has been greatly reduced.
    3. To all the people that think that they have a glass screen, you are sadly mistaken. You have at best a plexy glass screen.

APPLE HAS YET AGAIN SOLD US A GREAT DEVICE THAT HAS BEEN RUINED MY A HORRIBLE GRADE CASE MADE OF SCRATCH PRONE (NOT RESISTANT) CASE AND SCREEN. JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER IPODS.

SCREEN PROTECTORS ARE MEARLY A COVER UP. sorry im very anti case. im sure there are many that agree with me, waste of money and they are UGLY!

This is more than a thread about wheter or not YOURS is scratched or not people, this is about the fact that there is a major difference in the screen on the 3g and that it is a flaw, and by the look at the other threads, the whole case is cheap as well. (regarding the cracking on the corners and back)

They obviously saved some money on this build for sure.

Im just about un-convinced about my purchase.:(

25. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Sounds like your pretty upset about something u don't even own. Hopefully u will be happier with sometiing else, because it is pretty clear the iPhone is not for u.