3G seems slow on my new iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by animenick65, Jul 14, 2008.

1. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I live in Fall River MA and travel to Seekonk and stay around that area all day. I've been running tests to check the speed on iNetwork Test and the most I can get out of it is 411kbps on 3G. From what I am hearing, this is fairly slow. Could there be any reasons for this or is that speed acceptable? I'm getting about 200kbps with 3G turned off, so I'm really not that impressed. I tested these speeds in areas where I have at least 3 bars on 3G.

2. vertigomhs macrumors member

well there can be many factors, such as has far the 3g hotspot is, how far the antenna is, whats blocking the signals or making them slower, such as buildings, it can be so many things, and yes some cities will be faster than others. as for testing your speed you can also try testmyiphone.com.

3. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got 255 on testmyiphone.com. Its quite a kick in the pants when it says it thinks your on edge when your actually connected to 3G.

4. vertigomhs macrumors member

lol, well have you tried the att coverage viewer? it should tell you how well the 3g connection is in the area your in.

5. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

A lot of it also depends on AT&T's 3G bandwidth offering in the area. Metropolitan areas like NYC, Philadelphia, LA, etc., will offer faster speeds (but conversely, more crowded networks, which may decrease bandwidth during peak use times).

6. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cmon man, you seriously think I would get an iPhone without checking the coverage map? Yes, I have 3 bars in most places on 3G but the speeds are very slow. The Apple store employee told me it would be fine and I could port my number over that day instead of getting a new number to try the service on. Now I owe Verizon $150 and I'm stuck with ATT with crappy speeds. Somone at ATT or APPLE is going to take that $30 off my monthly bill or pay my ETF fee and I'm going back to verizon.

7. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

Not really... I live in LA in a "coverage area" and the 3G reception is dismal, about 1-2 bars at best, and occasionally switches back to EDGE. Seems people in NY also having simaler problems...

8. vertigomhs macrumors member

o im sure you saw it :p, but did you see the 3g coverage signal strength in your area,this isnt data but 3g talk that tells you how many bars you should have.

9. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did and I consistently get 3 bars. I'm on 3G right now with 5 bars and am getting 255kbps on testmyiphone.com.

10. vertigomhs macrumors member

eww, its probably because they put less bandwidth in your area, as the guy above said bigger cities will have faster speeds for more of a population, thats the only thing i could think of. sorry.

11. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

That guy is wrong... 3G in LA is terrible... 1-2 bars and keeps dropping back to EDGE. :(

12. vertigomhs macrumors member

true, just realized that since I live in la haha edge is 54 kb/ps here less than dial up but when 3g works it's fast not sure but google and yahoo are almost instant... So yea I think there are many factors to it but I doubt its a hardware issue but you can try demoing iphone's at att or apple and do speedtest there and just compare... :|

13. crowdedstr macrumors member

Same story here in Chicago... not impressed with 3g at all.

1-3 bars on 3g, usually just 1 or 2 though... 3 is rare.

Often drops back to Edge (which I get full bars on).

I'm really not the type who whines a whole lot, but I was really expecting the 3g to be a lot better. Switching intermittently between 3g and Edge has already caused me to drop a few calls...

More bars in more places? Not so much...

14. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm at work now. I have 5 bars of 3G here and am getting around 100kbps on the test sites. Abysmal. I am unhappy to say the least.

15. crowdedstr macrumors member

That's right about where I was too, downtown Chicago, outside, 5 bars...

16. asb396 macrumors member

17. hoyas08 macrumors newbie

NYC 3G sooo slow

I've been using my 3G in lower Manhattan since Friday and it's seems as slow or slower than Edge. Very disappointing. Results on Testmyiphone.com never go above 100kbps for me. Maybe it's the tall buildings everywhere, but even in midtown where I bought the phone it seemed super slow. What in the hell ATT/Apple?

18. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

19. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Guys, I believe it could be the site we're doing to as well. I just did the testmyiphone.com from my home computer (w/ DSL connection) and it gave me a result of .29MBps which is ******** because I have a 4MBps connection here and I can download files from websites in seconds. It's gotta be the site. Things load pretty fast on my iPhone... relying on that site is crap.

btw i live in the loop in chicago and work right downtown on michigan ave... its definitely faster than original iphone.

20. RightCoastToast macrumors newbie

I thought the same thing so I did a side by side test w/ my Tmobile BB...(both five bars and the iPhone showing 3G)

iphone - 30k
    BB - 1.1M

Several tests later gave me a BB low of 700k and a iPhone high of 300k. Average for the BB was 900k and 150k for the iPhone.

I've tested with the same results in burbia NoVa and work at Tyson's Corner.

Edit - And a test at home was 15M on the BB and 6M on the iPhone (FiOS 15/2)

21. GNice macrumors 6502

I'm seeing the same thing...so much so I'm just using EDGE...

22. whyrichard macrumors 68000

vote another disappointed by los angeles 3g speeds.... 350kbps.... tops.

r.

23. mjones77 macrumors newbie

Is anyone having these problems in south florida?

I haven't experienced any of them I get over a 1 mbps download speed just about all the time here, there are a few spots where it dips but for the most part its right on.

24. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

So if most people are having these problems... can't AT&T be held accountable for this then? It's completely false advertising and if we're not getting 3G speeds, then why are we paying 3G prices?

25. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Speed test puts my iPhone 3G at 1.79Mbps in Tallahassee, FL (state capital)