3G SIM in 1st gen iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natalia81, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I currently have the 1st gen iphone. If I buy a 3G, can I still put my SIM card in the 1st gen phone and have full functionality on it?

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

No you have to get a new sim sorry , after you do you can you the 3G sim in other phones

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

do you mean in an effort to avoid paying the increased data rates ?

I think its been covered, but eventually AT&T will discover you

4. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

It sounds like you want to take the Sim card out of the iPhone 3G and place it in the first iPhone to have everything the iPhone 3G does.

The answer to that is no.

Edit: If you mean work as normal, possibly maybe. If you mean add 3G features like GPS, certainly not.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First, what do you mean by full functionality? Yes on SIM sharing between the two devices but first you will have to reactivate your original iPhone (unless it's unlocked) since it would be a new SIM and also as others have stated you will not get any of the additional 3G features.

As another option, you can activate your new iPhone 3G using your SIM from the original iPhone. Even thought the original iPhone did not support 3G, the SIM did and still does. There are no magic iPhone 3G SIMs. Almost any AT&T / Cingular SIM from the last 24-36 months will work just fine.

Dave

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will work. You may end up being discovered. I wasn't discovered while I did that for 3 months on a friends iPhone (he made oversea trip)

7. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I pulled the SIM from my first generation phone before I sold it. It said it was a 3G card on the front of it.

8. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

What I wanted to do was upgrade to the new 3g phone. But keep my 1st gen phone and use it when I go snowboarding or do other activities that might cause damage to the phone.

When I meant full functionality, I meant would I be able to make calls, text, and use the internet on the 1st gen phone like normal (on EDGE).

I know I can take my current SIM from my 1st gen iphone and put it in my old Razr and I can make/receive calls and text on the razr, but vmail doesn't work.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Your plan will work without any problems or issues if you use your existing SIM when you complete the activation of your new iPhone 3G. Just tell the sales rep what you want to do.

If they insist that you get a new SIM then you will have a problem when you sync with iTunes. The original iPhone has to be paired with the SIM and this is done using iTunes, so you can just reactivate the original iPhone using the new iPhone 3G SIM. Then put the same SIM back in your iPhone 3G and call Customer Care, they may ask for the IMEI of your new iPhone 3G, just give it to the rep and ask them to switch you back to the iPhone 3G $30 data plan. Once this is done you can freely swap the SIM between your, iPhone 3G, original iPhone and even your Razr.

Others will tell you to just stop once you reactivate your original iPhone and stay with the $20 original iPhone plan that includes 200 Txt SMS text messages. This is a violation of the AT&T Terms and Conditions but you get to decide how you want to proceed.

If you have more questions, just provide us more details and we will give you additional suggestions.

Dave

10. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...this was very helpful.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you "jailbreak" the first gen iPhone (no, you do not have to UNLOCK it), you can swap the sim between both phones and it doesn't matter. I do it all the time. My plan never changes because I don't have to re-activate the first gen because it's already "hacktivated". The reason I said you don't have to unlock it is because you're still using the same AT&T network, so there won't be a problem as long as the phone has been activated (through the jailbreak process).

I hope this helps.

12. Smog macrumors regular

Well, if your still unsure, i was perfectly able to do this with my O2 UK Sime. When i took my iphone into :apple:, I used the 2G until i found a nice new case for my replacement. Should work fine.