Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenMaster6000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I don't quite know what I was expecting speed-wise when I purchased the iPhone 3G on Friday, but after using it for the last few days, I've concluded that AT&T's 3G network--as it currently stands--doesn't offer a very significant speed improvement over its EDGE counterpart, and so--as an upgrade from the iPhone 2G with its primary emphasis on speed--the iPhone 3G is pretty underwhelming.

I work in New York and live in the suburbs, and in both locations the phone hasn't managed to break 40 kb/s on TestMyiPhone.com. Am I just in bad area? I'd expect New York to be one of the best places to test out any network technology, but the facts speak for themselves. Is this really all 3G, AT&T, and Apple have to offer?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
AT&T is having some issues with 3G (any carrier would) when you basically probably have a few 100,000 phones using 3G, but then you basically add another 300,000+ 3G devices in a weekend, it's going to hiccup for a while.

I expect AT&T to get rolling on the ball and upgrading their networks / making them faster.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I don't quite know what I was expecting speed-wise when I purchased the iPhone 3G on Friday, but after using it for the last few days, I've concluded that AT&T's 3G network--as it currently stands--doesn't offer a very significant speed improvement over its EDGE counterpart, and so--as an upgrade from the iPhone 2G with its primary emphasis on speed--the iPhone 3G is pretty underwhelming.

I work in New York and live in the suburbs, and in both locations the phone hasn't managed to break 40 kb/s on TestMyiPhone.com. Am I just in bad area? I'd expect New York to be one of the best places to test out any network technology, but the facts speak for themselves. Is this really all 3G, AT&T, and Apple have to offer?
I agree 100%...there is just no big difference...very disappointing...I wasn't expecting blazing speed, but at least a significant improvement, instead it's just a modest improvment...I live in NYC too...u would figure 3g would be fast as hell in the city!!!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I get a really sweet 1.65mbp/s connection at 3am in the morning. I think I get around half that during the day, though.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
yeah my iphone 3g's speed is hilariously slower than my nokia n95's 3G speed

i think they're just having hiccups right now and they'll smooth it out soon when the activation frenzy stops

ee99ee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
The 3G speed here in the greater Nashville area is FAAAAST. I'm stunned at how much faster 3G is than EDGE. Where are you guys located and how do I test my download speeds?

-Chris

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I haven't run any speed tests, but in general browsing, loading of maps in Google Maps, etc... 3G feels like an enormous improvement over edge. It seriously feels like the difference between dial-up and broadband and feels very close to the speed I get on wifi at home.

I've had a few friends mention that 3G doesn't feel like that much of an improvement to them, though, so maybe it depends on where you live and various factors on that segment

dwreck

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
It's ehhh. The main selling point for me was the new design, the 3G was a little upgrade.

The main selling point for me was the promised 3G speeds, but I've been getting EDGE-like speeds. (I live and work in San Francisco). Browsing certainly doesn't feel faster than on my original iPhone, and speed tests on testmyiphone.com show that I've been getting between 127 and 261 kbps. I showed screenshots of these results to an Apple employee at the Genius Bar today, but got little more than a shrug. I'm seriously considering going back to my old iPhone.

RexInTheCity

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I'm actually having trouble just staying on 3G since I got my iPhone but my edge speeds are 273kbps / 33 kb/s. I was connected to 3G 95% of the time with my old LG phone.

alexboy45

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
i get 1.6mb on 3g at around lunch time. the main problem with the 3g will be down to the network not the phone. if a lot of people ara attached to any sorce of data it will slow down. think of it like a moterway if it is empty you can drive fast. if it is busy you are stopped.

alejovh1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
bad news for me, only get 119 kbps in portland OR :(
anyone here called ATT? i think if we don't call and complaint they'll never fix it!

luckygyrl83

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Fullerton, CA
So, I just ran it. This is what I got and I am currently in Orange County area:

On Edge - .15Mbps (147kbps/ 18kb/s)

On 3g - .23Mbps (229kbps / 28kb/s)

It seems to me that there is a significant difference there. If able, can someone break this down to me?

Thanks

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
How are you guys actually measuring the speed? Surely if you're all using the same site then it's going to be overloaded.

DeaconEsq

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
In New York right now (midtown), and I've got .28mbps (277 kbps / 34kb/s).

Lame.

Man...from the small sampling in this thread, it looks like the major markets (NY, LA) might be getting overloaded with new traffic. Hopefully AT&T can get on the ball and provide some upgrades to their 3g network in those areas soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.