3G sucks. What a joke.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Madvillain, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Madvillain Guest

Plain and simple, this phone DOES NOT WORK as advertised. I was a huge apple fan and stock owner. I had 2 original iPhones, one for me and one for my girlfriend. I got the 3G phone the day it came out.

3G
    3G is a joke. It is SLOWER than edge. The internet usually doesn’t even load. I have to actually go into my settings and TURN OFF 3G to load pages in some places. It is that bad. I travel all over for my job, and I recently tried my 3G phone in times square. It was the slowest it has ever been. I went to the apple store in NYC. 3G reception shows that it is excellent, but the internet is still lethally slow.

I updated my girlfriends first gen iPhone to the 2.0 firmware. The update screwed up the phone. What garbage. Had to restore it from the backup iTunes makes.

3G still sucks. Edge is faster for internet.
    Update screwed up my girlfriends phone again. Restored from backup.

3G still sucks. Edge is faster for internet.
    Update screwed up my girlfriends phone again. Cannot restore. Phone needs to be set up as a new phone.

What is this crap?
    Sign me up for the lawsuit.

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Sucks for you bro. My first gen worked fine with all the updates and when I got my 3g that came with 2.0.1 and upgraded it to 2.0.2 I had no problems. My 3g in Shreveport LA is great. But i imagine we dont have 1/10 of the people as other cities using 3g. Hope it gets better for you man. No complaits here though.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

sucks.

3G is working great for me in Ann Arbor!

sure, the new iPhone has a few "kinks" but i love it nonetheless!

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It sucks for me like I think Angelina Jolie might suck.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The iPhone 3G is the best consumer electronic product out there right now. If it was so bad for the OP why didn't you return it in your 30 day window and get a crackberry? I guess it's just more fun to play the American low ball sue every body for everything game.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

so that means it works really, really good, right? :D

7. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

When you come up with evidence that 3G is slower than EDGE for your lawsuit just let me know and I'll sign on.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed! I have two white phones, each bought 30 days apart and they work 100% as advertized and 100% perfectly! Best phones I have ever owned. :apple:

9. Spongey817 macrumors regular

The only thing this thread is missing is an angry face. :mad:

Okay, it's good...carry on

Oh, btw, I love my iPhone.

The End.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a first gen iPhone updated to 2.0.2 and haven't had any problems. It sucks that the OP is having problems, but not everyone is.

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The speed of the 3G network is largely dependent on your phone network provider.

If they provide snotty 3G coverage, no phone is going to make up for it.

12. freitas macrumors member

Compared to the other "smart" phones I have owned, I think the iPhone is as good or better. I personally like it better than my blackberries but I would say the iPhone is missing some key features.

Regarding 3G, I have great 3G speeds with only 1-2 bars at home. I do experience dropped calls when 3G hands-off to edge.

You can blame apple for promising the world and att for far fewer bars than their ads claim but I still think the iPhone delivers.

13. richg916 macrumors regular

How is the signal strength? Have you ever thought there might be something wrong with the phone??? Take it in to a genius and have them run a test on it, instead of just saying "Sign me up for the lawsuit."

14. archipellago macrumors 65816

yep..that just about sums it up!

15. elbirth macrumors 65816

If your 3G signal is that bad, go get the SIM card swapped out and if that doesn't help, get the phone replaced. Don't try to bash the iPhone simply because you have a single bad experience. Give me a break. There are always people that have problems with electronics and you happen to be an unlucky one in this case.

3G is an incredible improvement over Edge in my case. It's literally almost as fast as if I were on WiFi.

16. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

haha sucks for you

17. Madvillain thread starter Guest

Single bad experience?
    Did you read my post?
    Every update since and including 2.0 has screwed up my 1st gen iPhone.

On my 3G:
    I have full bars in times square, newark airport, NYC, and when 3G is active, the internet is slower then edge. They are not even close.
    When I turn off 3G, the phone works fine, like my first gen one did before 2.0 came along.

I love the fanboys though. Brilliant.
    Must be me. Nobody else has had any problems with 3G. It hasn't been in the news. No other posts. Riiiiiight.
    Carry on fanboys. 3G is a joke. Plain and simple. It is a case of apple releasing something that doesn't work. Maybe they will fix it in the future, but right now, it sucks in the major cities. Congrats if it works in Ann arbor. It should work in Chicago, NYC, Houston, etc.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Just because you are having problems doesn't mean everyone who owns one is having problems.

I have two white iPhones, each purchased 30 days apart. I wanted to get two on launch day but I wanted to wait to see if I would have any problems with the first one. Nope. Not a single problem. 30 days later, I bought a second one. I have owned it just about two weeks now and it too has not one problem. 3G works perfectly in my city.

I even used Last.FM one day while driving around for three hours and it never lost the 3G signal nor disconnected last.FM.

Also as has been pointed out, your experience will be different because 3G is not so good in every city. Sorry it is that way for now but it is.

I'm seriously loving my iPhones, I wouldn't have any other phone.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Return your iPhone then. And sell your stock.

20. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

waaahhhhh waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh would you like some cheese with that whine?

21. elbirth macrumors 65816

Yes, I read your post. Now, since you're having trouble reading mine, let me clarify- YOU are an individual person. Thus, this is a SINGLE experience. I never said you only encountered the problem one time.
    Like I said, go get your SIM card swapped and if it's still slow, get the phone replaced. Should this be necessary? Absolutely not. However, why not take steps to get it fixed instead of complaining on the Internet about how much the phone sucks? If you dislike it so much, take it back. No one here is defending Apple saying it's just user error. We're saying we aren't having problems so it's not every single iPhone. If there are some that work and some that don't, it's clear there's a need to just replace it and get a working one.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

My iphone 3G has the same crappy service the OP describes. I think its an issue with the NY area. Whether it is a problem with the iphone itself or the network--the phone simply does NOT work as advertised around here. I understand there are dead zones in every network--but my phone rarely connects to 3G throughout the city and the call quality is worse than a cheap two way radio. All my friends who have 3G iphones have the exact same experience. What a coincidence that I know so many of "2%" of iphone users who are having problems?

Shame, I love everything else about the iphone but its core function, "phone" doesn't work well. May have to take it back and get refund. I'm not gonna join any lawsuits, but false advertising *is* something Apple should be held accountable for.

23. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

Question. Is your "girlfriend's" iPhone jailbroken and/or unlocked? If so, you lost your right to sue when you broke your contract.

It's funny how negative people seem to have so many difficulties with Apple products that "just work' for everyone else. Maybe it's not AT&T (assuming you are even on AT&T) or even the iPhone but rather your negative attitude bringing you all this bad luck.

Do you happen to run windows by any chance?

24. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I love my white iphone, definitely the best cell phone out there. However there are shortcomings since it does so many things. 3G really sucks, but I think that has to do with our 3G infrastructure more than the handset.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In cities where 3G iphones work mostly as advertised great--no problems. However, if there is an area where 3G service runs like crap and the phone can't connect to the internet than the advertising in *that* market needs to be consistent with the actual performance of the phone. No need to shoot whole new commercials--just cut the part where the phone makes quick internet connections.