Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
So I wake this morning to see the news of a possible March 26th launch day for the wi-fi model.

I've been in line for all three iPhones so I'm an old hand but I'm going to find it really, really hard to not just go and line up for a wi-fi only model. I want the 3G model. I must be strong.

How are you preparing to cope with another 30 days of waiting while those happy with the wi-fi model are holding, touching and fondling theirs in full view of us 3G hold-outs? A media blackout would be the obvious option but then I might miss the announcement for 3G availability.

I could buy a wi-fi only version and then sell it after 30 days and probably not lose any money.

Oh dear. I need help.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Oh dear. I need help.

Mmm hmm.

Seriously, just wait. I didn't buy the original iPhone until April of the next year. Also be aware that you're all hooked on a 1.0 product that hasn't been released or anything. I'm almost glad I can't afford one right now so the people who do buy can tell Apple how to fix it for whenever I can get one.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I guess you can tell my post isn't entirely serious but it will be hard work. I remember having a conversation with a guy in the queue for my iPhone 3G in 2008 and we were both saying how much we'd love something with the UI of the iPhone but with a bigger screen. So I've wanted something like an iPad for years. Another 30 days shouldn't make a difference, should it?

But, sigh, I know it's going to be agony.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I share your pain brother! :p

I also feel sad, that I won't be able to buy the iPad straight away but, we must be strong.
:D:cool::p:(:D:):apple:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
You can take comfort in the fact that you 3G fans may be a rare breed amongst iPad owners - - AT&T's CEO thinks the wi-fi version is the better option...

He just doesn't want any more strain on his network.

I am getting the 3g version, so my AT&T usage will increase. They better get ready for it.

As for the wait, luckily, I have someone in the family who wants a wifi model, so I offered to use it until the 3g comes out for $100. Small price to pay for my impatience.;)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The advantage for us 3g people is that we won't have to iron outthe bugs the wifi guys will get slapped with that. I am however waiting till may as that's when I get my bonus from work and it'll help me eerything day with work. No more dragging a 17" laptop to work anymore for me.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, this extra 30 days is gonna be killer but way worth it. I just hope we get a 3G iPad launch as well ;-)

We have to be strong. The 3G model is the better choice with it's GPS chip and all :). For an extra $129 bucks I'll get all features. Seems worth it to me :)

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
I am thinking of buying a 16GB Wi-fi model at launch and selling it on Kijiji a month later after I get my 3G model ... or giving it to my girlfriend like I did my old iPhone.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I may grab a 16GB wifi to play with, better understand some more of the implications of switching from my MBP to the iPad full time, and ultimately leave around the house when my 64 + 3G arrives :)

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Think of it as beta testing

I'm actually glad for the 30 day wait because normally, I'd be one of the first ones buying. I've gotten burned a couple of times on first gen issues so I'm thinking of the wait as time to see if there are any issues. I'm sure if there are, folks will be vocal so I'll know whether or not to wait it out.

joseluis.17

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
monterrey, mexico
I'm actually glad for the 30 day wait because normally, I'd be one of the first ones buying. I've gotten burned a couple of times on first gen issues so I'm thinking of the wait as time to see if there are any issues. I'm sure if there are, folks will be vocal so I'll know whether or not to wait it out.

Me too actually I'm happy that I'm we are going to have to wait because once it's out we are going to know for sure how the ipad works in real life and we will have accesorys and some cool apps by the time we have our ipad in our hands

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One of my friends is already teasing me about how she knows I won't be able to resist buying the iPad on Launch Day at the end of this month and then won't be able to resist again when the 3G version is available. "I know you," she laughs, "you'll have BOTH of them!"

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
just hang at the store and play with the wifi version

Oh, no, I couldn't do that! The minute I get my hands and eyes on one, I know I'll want it, regardless of which version it is. When the MacBook Air first came out, I trotted over to the store "just to see it," and, well.....when I had finished looking at and playing with the demo model, as I was standing there hugging it before putting it down I realized that, yes, I was going to have to have one.......

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
Uh Oh... I'm starting to think of reasons for why I don't need a 3G version and the "extra 30 days" hasn't even started yet :eek:. Help me stay strong guys'n'gals ;)

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Just buy the wifi then take it back and upgrade to 3g

I'm buying the 16GB Wifi on day one then selling it to a friend as soon I can buy the 64GB 3G version. I get what I want, they get an iPad for $100 bucks off. Problem solved.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Arran said:
...Oh dear. I need help.

Just hold iPhone up to your nose: Same effect as a big-screen iPad, and you can make calls too.

You win. :cool: Early adopters lose. :p

Feeling better now?

that's an interesting way of looking at it!)

Me like

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I just got slammed again. With the announcement that WiFi iPad is April 3rd, what does that mean for us 3G waiters? I don't know if I can hold out till May 3rd. I MUST THOUGH!

Now, I'm jonesing again, but I know i need the 3G one. Wait it out, I keep telling myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.