3G to 4S - Sign here!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Being a 3G user, I am excited about getting the 4S. It will be a huge upgrade for me. I patiently waited. I was going to get 4 when it came out but I wanted white...when that didn't happen my patience kicked in again. Coming from 3G, I'm going to love the new phone.

Sign here if you're in the same boat!

3G to 4S = Win. =)

although I admit I too fell into the hype and wanted a redesign. But after a day, I am over it. =)

2. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Being a yearly upgrader since the 3G, I had to have the white iPhone 4 when I first saw it in person. So i'll be waiting for the next iPhone. Sorry 4S. You're awesome, but I can't afford you!

4. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

True, but my win is more than your win! ;)

5. Wartown Butch macrumors newbie

Im also upgrading from a 3GS to the 4S, but im worried that if I preorder through Apple that I will lose my unlimited data plan that I share with me wife...anyone know? Maybe I should just go through AT&T to upgrade...I'm not sure which way is better...

6. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I have a friend with a 3G that is going to get a 4S. As I have had every iPhone since the 3G, I know it will be a pretty massive upgrade in every possible way for them both in hardware and software capabilities. If I went from a 3G to a 4S I think my head would explode from all the cool new features.

7. drnen macrumors regular

yup im in the same boat. i waited patiently for my contract to expire with ATT but now that they suck a little less im ready to jump on another contract. The ol' 3g is hurtin too- home button barely works anymore. I'm also getting the lady her first iphone for her bday. Was still hoping for the new design but ohwell.. better than the 3g :)

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Same boat here, although i am disappointed. I've accepted it, and i plan on selling this thing before the iPhone 6 is launched :p

9. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

Oh yeah! My 3G is in major need of an upgrade. This will be like going from a Suzuki Samurai to a Land Rover!

:)

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Signed.

White 3G user, going to 4S. I stayed with it because I wanted to look at black vs. white iPhone 4, which by the time white came out, new phones were already rumoured to have started production. So I waited, stayed jailbroken and unlocked.

Definitely going to 4S, as half the apps I use require IOS4 or newer, and I'm still smooth on 3.1.3. If a jailbreak comes up, I'm definitely all over it. So now, it's down to black vs. white again, and resale value.

BL.

11. Thajtodad macrumors member

This is my situation Verbatim!

12. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Can't believe people are sticking with the "S" upgrade cycle. To each their own.

13. mom333 macrumors regular

I'm going to go from the 3GS to the 4S.

Although, I am very disappointed and think it's a very lame upgrade after all these months (since the 4 debuted). The "assistant" feature looks cool and all, but I know I won't ever use it. So, all that's left is some speed and a better camera. I should see a significant improvement in both from my tired 3GS.

The 4S is better than the 3GS, so it is what it is. My plan is to sell the 4S and pay a little extra for the next redesigned phone, whatever it ends up being called.

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Dude, I don't even know how you waited so long, the 3G was getting laggy even before iOS 4 came out. I mean I loved my phone but I remember it was getting slow to load my apps.

I was so happy with the 4 cause it made things smooth again (and disappointed when a few months later I was noticing small amounts of lag that reminded me how it started on the 3G... except the 4 still was the newest phone).

But hey, the 4S should be super nice cause of the even better speed increase. You're going to be really wowed by it cause I already was wowed by the 4 when I got it last year. I love my 4 way more than even my 3G (of course I also wanted a better camera which the 4 gave me a good enough camera, the 3G's camera sucked honestly so you'll really like the camera on the 4S :). And you got the storage upgrade I was disappointed the 4 didn't get... it was my one disappointment with the 4).

----------

Hey, you guys get the good speed updates. Which honestly, is a very good update.

I'll point out you guys are getting the phones that stay relevant longer. Note the 3GS runs iOS 5 without being handicapped with it and from at least one video it runs it quite well. Unlike the 3G that could barely handle iOS 4 and had to have several features turned off.

The 3GS was the same update as the 4S, a better processor. That's nothing to sneeze at. I suspect the 4 is going to be too slow to run iOS 6 very well, it will be like the 3G and really only stay relevant for 2 years (where as the 3GS seems to be that it will stay relevant for at least 3 years). And honestly, I hear the 3GS runs some games better than the 4 cause while the 4 has a slightly better processor, the bigger resolution of the screen takes up a lot of that advantage.

So, I really don't see why you're complaining there.

15. cPol macrumors member

cPol

3G to 4S here.

I upgraded to the 4 but returned it after a day due to the antenna problem. Hoping the new antenna design fixes it, because I can't deal with the slowness of iOS 4 anymore.

16. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

17. mom333 macrumors regular

Thanks - you made me feel better. :p

18. whawhat macrumors 6502

I'm def. upgrading. My 3g is incredibly slow and inefficient. Looking forward to the upgraded camera and twitter functionality in the 4s the most.

19. nwc12345 macrumors newbie

Yes! Been waiting for ages since iOS 4 made my 3G crap, even if the 4S isn't a massive leap from the 4 it was still well worth another year of waiting.

20. Liverpool-FC macrumors newbie

Not for me, I've got a 3G but going to hold out for the next iteration. Not really a fan of the 4/4S design so sticking with my 3G for another year. Isn't a drastic miss for me as my 3G gets me by well. Might be because I'm only a teenager.. :)

21. Tibu macrumors member

Signed. This is my exact situation. I bought my 3G in October 2008 and as soon as I could, I jailbroke it and unlocked it to use it on T-Mo. I was still a college student back then and T-mo was what I could afford with my budget.

Graduated, got an entry level job and decided it was in my best interest to keep my expenses as low as possible and decided not to upgrade or change carriers until I moved up a bit.

I substantially climbed up the corporate ladder and now it's time to finally relegate the 3G 8GB to the dust bin. I don't think it's even worth it to try to sell it. Probably wouldn't even fetch $75. I don't like the idea of being in the "s" upgrade cycle but I'll probably sell the 4Gs next year when the 5 comes out and pay the full price difference if I have to.

22. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Does anyone's 3G have massive home button issues? Like, you can press it 100 times and it still won't wake up or exit an app?

23. Biscuit411 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as all the 3G folks here. Glad to know there are still so many!

I want to upgrade to the 4S, but may have to go with the 4. I'm running SL 10.6.7 and have a MobileMe account - not iCloud. I can't upgrade to Lion (3rd party software issues), so I don't know if I should stick to the 4 to avoid the issues sure to come up with no Lion/iCloud. Am I being crazy - or an idiot? Sorry to derail things...

----------

I was looking on ebay today and there seemed to be quite a few 3G's going for well over $100. What am I missing? Why are these going for so much? Not that I'm complaining...

24. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

Me! Going from white 3G 16GB to white 4S 16GB! They could've brought out anything and I'd have still bought it, my 3G is soooo slowww so anything would have been an improvement, and I couldn't imagine having anything but an iPhone!