3G why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ilovemyipod, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

Think about it do we even actually even need 3G technology.

Yes it might make surfing the internet faster but still isn't EDGE pretty fast.

So my question is should i wait 5 months! for a iPhone with 3G or should i get one now and be very very satisfied.:confused:

2. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

What makes you think they will have a 3G model out in 5 months?

3. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. I say get it now and enjoy. That's what I did and when the new one comes out I will get it and enjoy.

I moved to the iPhone from a 3G phone, the Cingular 8525. Trust me 700-800 kbs was nice and I do miss it. Also I don't think the next iPhone will just be a 3G upgrade, I am sure there will be other reason to get us to go back into our pockets.

4. 3247 macrumors regular

1. UMTS w/ HSDPA is several times faster (up to 14.4 Mbit/s) than GSM w/ EDGE (up to 1 Mbit/s).
    2. 3G/UMTS is needed for video telephony.
    3. UMTS phones work in Japan and Korea.
    Number 3 is the main reason a 3G iPhone is supposed to be released this year (2008).

5. spazattack674 macrumors regular

Aside from 3G being faster, it also allows for simultaneous use of data and phone. So, if you're using the internet, you're still able to receive phone calls.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

3G is pretty standard in Europe, and to make good sales here, the iPhone needs to be 3G.

7. mas90guru macrumors member

In order for Apple to hit 10 million units, imho, they will need to release both an upgraded and faster (3G) iPhone. Which is what I think you'll see right around June 2008.

8. RichardJohn macrumors member

1. EDGE's maximum theoretical speed is 384kbps.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

They will have to announce it about 6 months before they release it due to FCC approval, though I think.

10. 3247 macrumors regular

According to Wikipedia, the best EDGE standard allows 1 Mbit/s.

11. RichardJohn macrumors member

The iPhone doesn't use EDGE Evolution, though.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The iPhone is a Class 12 device, meaning it can use up to four timeslots in one direction at a time.

Therefore the maximum it can go is 236.8 kbit/s.

End of story.

13. 3247 macrumors regular

Oh well… I guess iPhone 2 won't use the maximum HSDPA standard, either. Probably, it'll be limited to 3.6*Mbit/s, maybe 7.2*Mbit/s.
    That's still quite a speed-up, though.

14. meagain macrumors 68030

??? Last I recall, I could do that.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

EDGE can't surf and receive calls simultaneously. If you're loading a web page and someone calls you, it'll go to voicemail.

16. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

You must have low expectations.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You may be on the internet but if the reload icon is active the call will go to Voicemail and if you try to access while in call you will be denied.

18. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

3G is not the standard in europe, i have never known anyone with one, most people dont even know what 3g is compared to edge, correct me if i am wrong byt 3g has worse coverage than edge!?! also the iphone renders pages faster than most 3G phones, im personally very happy (though i believe edge is a little faster in uk than us). when we get 3g there will be a "waiting for......" thread lol

19. billandy macrumors regular

3G might not seem to be fast to you, but HSDPA is! It incorporates a transfer speed of upto 7.2MBps at current phase of deployment. In fact when I use Bluetooth 2.0 to connect to my N95 as modem, the download speed is always 100kb/s, which is the sort of maximum real world speed of Bluetooth 2.0!!! That's why I'm holding my N95 at the moment and waiting patiently for 3G iPhone, the change's gonna be a quantum leap!

20. billandy macrumors regular

Mate, don't confuse the crappy 3 network with 3g technology. They're completely different things. 3G technology is now on all UK carriers and most of them have already upgraded their base stations in the greater London area and the maximum rate terminal users now enjoy is 7.2MBps. All the "mobile broadband" those carriers provide are actually HSDPA which is based on 3G technology.

21. Ilovemyipod thread starter macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

My bad... Mate;)

22. erickufrin macrumors newbie

Yes. Plain and simple - yes.

HSDPA and even just UMTS is noticably faster.

23. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Actually that is true for EDGE but not for EDGE Evoluton. With EDGE Evolution there are multiple ways to achieve 1mps speeds with the current implementation of EDGE Evoluton on the ATT system is Higher Order Modulation: EDGE uses 8PSK modulation which encodes 3 bits per transmission step. Evolved EDGE introduces 16QAM modulation which can encode 4 bits per transmission step and 32QAM modulation which encodes 5 bits per step. In practice, however, 32QAM is difficult to use for average transmission conditions on the air interface.

Operation fine EDGE" as it was so put was just a marketing name given to ATT's first attempt at implementing EDGE Evolution. While only 4 timeslots on the down link are utilized, more data is transmitted per carrier downlink.

Before EDGE evoluton, the maximum downlink timeslots was and is 59.2 kps. With "operation fine edge" the downlink data per timeslot is about 79kps with a maximum of 315kps.

This is why people are averaging well over 200kps on ATT's EDGE network. With the old standard, with a maximum speed of 236kps, people were averaging around 150kps. Your not going to average 200kps with a maximum speed of 236kps unless your actually sitting on the towers.

And lets not forget that the iphone has WiFi, which is faster than 3g. I don't know about most of you, but I have WiFi just about anywhere I go, and with speeds between 200kps and 250kps EDGE browsing is just fine.

Copy and paste: Wouldn't let me attach.

3gamericas.com/PDFs/RIM_Pecen-MBA-Nov14-2007.pdf

Attached Files:

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wish I could tell you where, but almost every news report I have seen on the issue cites somewhere between May and July for a 3G iPhone. I just read one this weekend and I wish I could find it for you.

FYI, Computerworld speculates that AT&T will charge extra for a 3G iPhone connection due to how much people would do with it. The article, available at macworld.com, is pretty good about how Apple was smart to start with EDGE and how most other smartphones are so crappy that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 3G and EDGE.

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438408

Lots cite May-July, most don't say why. Hence the thread above to work it out. Seeing as how it's so close to 1 year of iPhone, i'd imagine a summer announcement works well. The tech for 3G iPhone is basically in place by 2Q 2008.